FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Can I Cajole Honors into giving me Diamond? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/936247-can-i-cajole-honors-into-giving-me-diamond.html)

Eaterlover Mar 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Can I Cajole Honors into giving me Diamond?

So here's the thing, I am at that unfortunately straddle of having 30 nights in 2008 (when I started my project) and 32 nights in 2009. So this means, that while I technically (well, in my mind) have the 60 nights to qualify for Diamond, I don't think I will because in my HHonors Qualifying Summary, it states my current nights as "32." I just got the Hilton AMEX too so that helped in bonus points but not in status. I'd like to get a reward stay in the Rome Cavalieri in April, but there's a date that I can't book unless I'm a diamond. Does anyone have any experience in trying to talk to CSR into getting Diamond?? I'd really like to hear some prior experience. I'm not sure what I can leverage other than the ole "well, I'm looking at some other options" line.

TrinaLC Mar 25, 2009 2:11 pm

If you have enough stays in the rolling twelve month period ended April 30, 2009, they will give you diamond - essentially grandfathering the program through that date.

Write the diamond desk and ask them - but don't take the first no for an answer and indicate to them that you have read that this is happening to others.

PetoskeyFlyer Mar 27, 2009 6:10 am

Only if the customer service rep knows what "cajole" means. You never know how that might translate :)

Eaterlover Mar 27, 2009 11:50 am

Boo Urns!

Originally Posted by TrinaLC (Post 11473791)
If you have enough stays in the rolling twelve month period ended April 30, 2009, they will give you diamond - essentially grandfathering the program through that date.

Write the diamond desk and ask them - but don't take the first no for an answer and indicate to them that you have read that this is happening to others.

The CSR I talked to referred me to her manager. Her manager was of no help at all. "The system is looking at the customer activities for all customers and based on either year end activities and the first quarter of this year, we MIGHT extend the diamond status depending on blah-blah metrics. Or we might keep you at the level you are." Definitely seemed to be a poor experience on my part, with the manager threatening to keep me at my Gold level if I didn't keep my mouth shut (that's just my impression). I will call again in another week and see if another CSR might be any different.

JDiver Mar 27, 2009 3:41 pm

HH publishes quite publicly what it takes to make each level of status in their incentive / frequent guest program - 28 stays, 60 nights or 100,000 base points in one calendar year, regardless of how you see it personally. I really mean no disrespect here, but I fail to see why they should make exceptions.

Originally Posted by HHonors Terms and Conditions
Diamond VIP Membership

1. Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP membership will be awarded to Members with 28 stays, 60 nights or 100,000 Base points earned during any calendar year. A "night" is a night that is part of a "stay," as that term is defined herein. Base points earned will count toward Diamond VIP tier qualification. Bonus points earned on Base points do not count toward VIP tier qualification.

Eaterlover Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 11486148)
HH publishes quite publicly what it takes to make each level of status in their incentive / frequent guest program - 28 stays, 60 nights or 100,000 base points in one calendar year, regardless of how you see it personally. I really mean no disrespect here, but I fail to see why they should make exceptions.

Yeah you're right, there's no reason they HAD to, but I feel like there's lots of grayspace what CSRs can actually do for a customer. So in my case, I did manage get to get a good response from writing the HHonors desk, stating that they sped me up to Diamond this year. It'll take about 3-6 weeks. So everything worked out.

Bikeguy Mar 28, 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eaterlover (Post 11489590)
Yeah you're right, there's no reason they HAD to, but I feel like there's lots of grayspace what CSRs can actually do for a customer. So in my case, I did manage get to get a good response from writing the HHonors desk, stating that they sped me up to Diamond this year. It'll take about 3-6 weeks. So everything worked out.

Another case of not accepting the first no and things working out.

As you learned, the trick is to know when to bail if you think it's headed toward no, so something isn't typed into your record. I've cut several conversations short because my kids needed me immediately.

Congrats, your persistence paid off.

^

Eaterlover Mar 30, 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Bikeguy (Post 11490898)
Another case of not accepting the first no and things working out.

As you learned, the trick is to know when to bail if you think it's headed toward no, so something isn't typed into your record. I've cut several conversations short because my kids needed me immediately.

Congrats, your persistence paid off.

^

That's really great advice, don't be the harrasser, just call the right CSR. Also update, the CSR that upgraded me to Diamond also instantly changed my status on HHonors.com. Even better!

IsleOfMan Mar 30, 2009 9:44 am

I was able to achieve a similar outcome back in early '08. I had 20 stays in 5 months and 9 more booked in the coming 30 days. I emailed the Diamond Desk requesting the comp me up to Diamond early and they offered an unofficial 4 stay in 30 day fast-track... I say unofficial because I had to email the Diamond Desk CSR who set it up once I had completed it, and it took him about 48 hours before I showed up as Diamond. It only got me to Diamond 4 stays sooner than I would have on my own, but the perks for the following 4 stays that I would have missed out on were indeed nice (including one Presidential Suite upgrade).

seanthepilot Mar 30, 2009 9:56 am

As soon as I heard that the rolling tier was cancelled, and I knew I wasn't going to qualify, I STOPPED staying at Hilton... until January 1st when the stay would actually count.

My status will drop soon, but by then I'll have 13 stays YTD. An easy 3 no Status stays and I'll be back on track with Gold (at least) for the next 13 months.

I don't feel bad, as I made a plan and didn't feel swindled, didn't feel like I kept my loyalty and wasn't rewarded for it. I did the opposite. I took all my business to SPG and Accor and Hilton lost the business. For not keeping my loyalty, I lost very little.

It may suck, and you may be Gold for a while, but make the best of it. Pay for a higher category room when the type of room matters and you'll be back to Diamond eventually. It's not that tough a life as a Gold ;)

mnredfox Mar 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 11486148)

+1

Originally Posted by Eaterlover (Post 11489590)

I agree, CSR's do. But just because, we shouldn't feel entitled to get it even if we call a few times. Just remember, exceptions are great when it is you, otherwise it devalues your status.

Originally Posted by seanthepilot (Post 11498364)
As soon as I heard that the rolling tier was cancelled, and I knew I wasn't going to qualify, I STOPPED staying at Hilton... until January 1st when the stay would actually count.

Yeah, getting rid of the RT was silly. Now when I hit 28 stays, I just move to PC.