Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee
According to their website, January 18, 2018: https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com/

David
I'm guessing FT will be full of info around Jan 17th and 18th....
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Just got off the phone with Amex re: getting my 40K spend upgrade to Diamond processed. Wanted to see I could add some encouragement to them getting it processed faster for some upcoming travel. No dice: 12 weeks after the qualifying transaction is the prescribed window of time that it takes, though they mentioned it could be done faster than that. Who knows.... Anyone have recent DP's on that upgrade to Diamond from gold after meeting spend on the card? Info is appreciated!!

Also asked about any bonus offers, measly 5k for adding an AU and then $250 spend in 90 days. Nothing else.

BUT, she did mention that the Jan 18th date will have the rollout of the new Aspire card in addition to "other bonus offers" due to their new exclusive relationship with Hilton. So give them a call after the 18th and see if you can get some goodies!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Prem, HH Diamond, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by jtav559
Just got off the phone with Amex re: getting my 40K spend upgrade to Diamond processed. Wanted to see I could add some encouragement to them getting it processed faster for some upcoming travel. No dice: 12 weeks after the qualifying transaction is the prescribed window of time that it takes, though they mentioned it could be done faster than that. Who knows.... Anyone have recent DP's on that upgrade to Diamond from gold after meeting spend on the card? Info is appreciated!!

Also asked about any bonus offers, measly 5k for adding an AU and then $250 spend in 90 days. Nothing else.

BUT, she did mention that the Jan 18th date will have the rollout of the new Aspire card in addition to "other bonus offers" due to their new exclusive relationship with Hilton. So give them a call after the 18th and see if you can get some goodies!

Will be super interested to see what comes together.

I've recently been looking at switching to marriott and am holding off until I see what changes are in store both with the cards and the HHonors program.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
According to their website, January 18, 2018: https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com/

David
Will the new cards arrive in our mailbox on this date or be mailed out on this date?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jangell
Will be super interested to see what comes together.

I've recently been looking at switching to marriott and am holding off until I see what changes are in store both with the cards and the HHonors program.
I've been sliding my excess stays over to Marriott for the past year to get top tier with both. The main reason I haven't gone all in with Marriott is I want to see what changes are in store with their program once the merger with SPG is complete.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Will the new cards arrive in our mailbox on this date or be mailed out on this date?
No, that's just the date you can apply for them. Given the production challenge of swapping out all of the Citi cards as well as the Surpass cards, I suspect that January 18, 2018 is both the first date that the new cards will be made available to apply or change to and likely the earliest that they'll ship the cards.

David
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I got my new Ascend card today in the mail, replacing my Citi Hilton Reserve. Cannot activate unitil 1/30 however.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I got my new Ascend card today in the mail, replacing my Citi Hilton Reserve. Cannot activate unitil 1/30 however.
Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Next few weeks will be interesting.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by jtav559

I seem to recall the first time that we hit 40 K that it took between 3 to 5 business days before or Hilton account changed to diamond status.
san888 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
The new Priority Pass membership has appeared in my account. The 10 entries include guests.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by greg5
The new Priority Pass membership has appeared in my account. The 10 entries include guests.
What do you mean "in your account" - aren't they going to send out a physical card or something to use at the lounges?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What do you mean "in your account" - aren't they going to send out a physical card or something to use at the lounges?
Pretty sure I already have a Priority Pass physical card in some sock drawer somewhere from my Surpass card. (never used it because the CSR and Amex Plat cards were offering free access)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Pretty sure I already have a Priority Pass physical card in some sock drawer somewhere from my Surpass card. (never used it because the CSR and Amex Plat cards were offering free access)
Yes, but that one was for $20 something per visit. How is the person in the lounge supposed to know what deal you have and from what source? This one would have to be free, and limited to 10 visits. I'm sure there has to be a new card/vouchers for that.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, but that one was for $20 something per visit. How is the person in the lounge supposed to know what deal you have and from what source? This one would have to be free, and limited to 10 visits. I'm sure there has to be a new card/vouchers for that.
My understanding is that the credit card associated with your PP account will be charged if you access the lounge and don’t have free access. No need for the lounge agent to know anything about your account. (not sure if the little card reader would tell them, though?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.