Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
I hit the 40k this cycle and the diamond status kicked in at the end of the billing cycle when I got the bill. So, fingers crossed for you!
Originally Posted by dwcatty
I received that email today: Subject: dwcatty, you've extended your Diamond status!

In the body of the email it says "Enjoy status through 31-Mar-2021."

I passed the $40,000 threshold at the end of August.

I haven't received an email confirmation as of yet, but I just logged in to my Hilton account after noticing these responses. My status was upgraded end of cycle...diamond is this girls best friend
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I upgraded my free AMEX Hilton card to Ascend (now Surpass) in March 2019 and paid a partial annual fee. The full $95 fee posted a few weeks ago. I don’t use the card much as I also have the Aspire. If I downgrade the Surpass now, will I be at risk for having the upgrade bonus clawed back? I believe the terms say card closures <1 year raise their eyebrows but I don’t know about downgrades.
A little late, but if it's still useful here's my two cents.

I believe best practice is to keep the card for a full year after upgrading to ensure you don't come under Amex's scrutiny. I believe if you downgrade mid-year (i.e. midway through your new $95 annual fee year), they will credit you back a partial refund. Downside is they don't downgrade you until the end of the billing cycle where you asked for the downgrade, so you'll probably end up paying 13 months of the annual fee.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Yes, the delay is normal and is frustrating. For me, it takes two to three billing cycles, which leave about nine months to use the free night.

You should get both an e-mail, and a free night showing on your HH account web page (PC, not the app).
If I still haven't received my free night certificate at the end of December, should I call Hilton, Amex, or both.
This was a free night that was awarded, along with 130,000 Hilton points, as part of a signup bonus for a new account.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by setho212
I signed up for the 130k points + free weekend night offer on the Surpass card that expired on August 28, 2019. I hit the minimum spend in 2 months and received the 130k points but I have not yet received the free weekend night certificate. I did a customer service chat with Amex tonight and the customer service representative is telling me I will get the free weekend night after the first anniversary of card membership. I'm fairly certain this is not correct, but all the links for this offer are expired so I cant check the fine print. Can anyone confirm I should get the free weekend night upon hitting the minimum spend and not a year later?
I am having the same issue and hope to see it soon.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...-1-free-night/
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
$40,000 spend reached in mid-December

Just hit $40,000 spend today. Statement closes Dec 26. When does my status change to Diamond? When will this Diamond status expire?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by setho212
I signed up for the 130k points + free weekend night offer on the Surpass card that expired on August 28, 2019. I hit the minimum spend in 2 months and received the 130k points but I have not yet received the free weekend night certificate. I did a customer service chat with Amex tonight and the customer service representative is telling me I will get the free weekend night after the first anniversary of card membership. I'm fairly certain this is not correct, but all the links for this offer are expired so I cant check the fine print. Can anyone confirm I should get the free weekend night upon hitting the minimum spend and not a year later?
I called Amex on Friday and advised the rep I was still waiting for my free weekend night certificate from the signup bonus. She knew exactly what I was talking about and escalated to a supervisor.

Today, I finally got my email from Hilton with my award certificate that expires December 13, 2020
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
providing the datapoint for $40K annual spend reached in mid December:
Diamond upgrade occurred after Dec statement closed on 12/26, and status expires in March 2021.

Last edited by budblab; Jan 4, 2020 at 6:15 am Reason: add data
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:42 am

Is this card worth getting and/or renewing? I am looking for hotels credit cards and although it seems a generous point offer of 120K...but seems redemption value is bad. Like you need around 40K for one night at an average room/hotel with them. And not sure if those points are inclusive or you need to pay extra for fees/taxes (someone confirms please). But seems many downgrade and upgrade from and to the non annual fee version...what about the business version? Does it show in your credit report? Can you downgrade to a non fee version?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is this card worth getting and/or renewing?
I think so, if only for the Gold status, which means breakfast at some brands. (I no longer travel on Other People's Money.)

I am looking for hotels credit cards and although it seems a generous point offer of 120K...but seems redemption value is bad.
Concur. But the five nights for the price of four can be useful, if you would otherwise stay five nights.

And not sure if those points are inclusive or you need to pay extra for fees/taxes (someone confirms please).
I have never needed to pay extra, but I have never used points plus cash with Hilton, nor stayed at a resort on points.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
Is this card worth getting and/or renewing?
I think so, if only for the Gold status, which means breakfast at some brands. (I no longer travel on Other People's Money.)

I am looking for hotels credit cards and although it seems a generous point offer of 120K...but seems redemption value is bad.
Concur. But the five nights for the price of four can be useful, if you would otherwise stay five nights.

And not sure if those points are inclusive or you need to pay extra for fees/taxes (someone confirms please).
I have never needed to pay extra, but I have never used points plus cash with Hilton, nor stayed at a resort on points.
We like our Surpass card because of the 6x supermarket points (we eat at home a lot) and the free night at 15,000 pts, easily doable.

If you book a Hilton hotel on points, you pay no taxes and no resort fees, no matter which card you use.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Eujeanie, you do realize that you responded to my response to good_boy_1234, don't you? Since your quote of my post replaced my formatting, it looks like I was talking to myself and you responded to me, when I think your response was directed to the questions that good_boy_1234 asked.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
[...] the free night at 15,000 pts, easily doable.
I don't understand the free night at 15,000 points. Please elaborate.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
Eujeanie, you do realize that you responded to my response to good_boy_1234, don't you? Since your quote of my post replaced my formatting, it looks like I was talking to myself and you responded to me, when I think your response was directed to the questions that good_boy_1234 asked.

I don't understand the free night at 15,000 points. Please elaborate.
Sorry, meant a free weekend night certificate with $15,000 spend in a calendar year. And I thought I was answering a question asked. Need to go back to bed.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought I was answering a question asked.
You were, and I appreciate your contributions. But you weren't answering a question asked by the person you quoted.

Sorry, meant a free weekend night certificate with $15,000 spend in a calendar year.
Well, that makes sense, now that you pointed it out. I should have seen that.

Need to go back to bed.
Apparently that makes two of us.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

If you book a Hilton hotel on points, you pay no taxes and no resort fees, no matter which card you use.
We just used HH points to stay at Hilton in Barcelona, and we had a small charge at the end for (I presume) taxes. It was something like $7 for the 5 night stay. And no, we definitely didn't eat something from the mini-bar

Just looked back at the receipt - every day we were billed a 'Tourist Tax' of 2.42. So it was actually closer to $15ish for the total stay.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I have the hhv on hold and was told there is no taxes or resort fee. That’s why I held one for June. I don’t see any taxes or fees in the confirmation either.

with some of the bonuses Hilton offered specifically for card holders I think the surpass card is worth keeping. And I’m very stingy with credit card fees. Like last quarter of 2019. A card holder earned about 50 points per Dollar. So even at its Hilton peso redemption rate. It’s fine. You can’t earn Marriott points that fast. IHG comes close. Only if you can meet all the accelerate criteria’s.

Not to mention gold status and free breakfast and 10 visits to priority pass lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.