Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:44 pm

Foreign Transaction Fees

Can anyone tell me if a Transaction Fee is levied on a charge in US$ by a merchant that is physically not in the US? Speccifically UK and Canadian merchants billing in US$
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by peter1962
Can anyone tell me if a Transaction Fee is levied on a charge in US$ by a merchant that is physically not in the US? Speccifically UK and Canadian merchants billing in US$
Ime no. The charge always matches what the credit card slip says. In the case of cards with non FTF I find it cheaper to have it charged in the foreign currency exchange rate is better. Not sure in cases where an FTF is involved
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Ime no. The charge always matches what the credit card slip says. In the case of cards with non FTF I find it cheaper to have it charged in the foreign currency exchange rate is better. Not sure in cases where an FTF is involved
Actually, being charged in US $ does not always get rid of the FT fee. It depends on the bank processing the charge. But, the exchange rate is usually so bad that even if they don't, it's still better to use local currency than get charged in $'s outside the US. You can search FT as well as the internet in general and all the advice is to avoid DCC like the plaque.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
Actually, being charged in US $ does not always get rid of the FT fee. It depends on the bank processing the charge. But, the exchange rate is usually so bad that even if they don't, it's still better to use local currency than get charged in $'s outside the US. You can search FT as well as the internet in general and all the advice is to avoid DCC like the plaque.
Perhaps I should clarify, the non-US merchant isn't doing any exchange nor is the processing Bank doing any conversion. The Merchant's bill is in US$ and they bill in US$, and the credit card statement charge is in US$.

Hence my question about the Hilton Amex Surpass, will I get charged a Foreign Transaction Fee in this case? I'm loathe to phone Amex and ask because I expect to get a different answer each time I call!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:24 pm

Wiki update needed?

I clicked the link in the Sticky Wiki at the top of this thread and it goes to an offer of 75,000 points not 100,000
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Perhaps I should clarify, the non-US merchant isn't doing any exchange nor is the processing Bank doing any conversion. The Merchant's bill is in US$ and they bill in US$, and the credit card statement charge is in US$.

Hence my question about the Hilton Amex Surpass, will I get charged a Foreign Transaction Fee in this case? I'm loathe to phone Amex and ask because I expect to get a different answer each time I call!
I think it depends on the charging bank. I did an US$ charge (on a VISA) to a US-based company that I did not know used a foreign bank as it's changing bank. I got charged a FTF. When I protested, I was told it counted as foreign charge because of the US-based company's bank!! I also complained to the company since they did not disclose they were using a foreign bank. They did not care. I guess it was cheaper for them to use the foreign bank.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:19 am

I called Amex, they say 'as long as the merchant is non-US' you will be charged a foreign transaction fee regardless of the currency of the charge.

...still looking for a good replacement for my Sapphire Reserve with no Annual Fee, no Foreign Fees, and a useful signup bonus before January 2018.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I got the email inviting me to upgrade to Surpass for 100K bonus for $3K/3months with the offer expiring 10/31. I just followed the link in the email and requested the upgrade and it said my request failed, and may have expired.

What's going on here?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I got the email inviting me to upgrade to Surpass for 100K bonus for $3K/3months with the offer expiring 10/31. I just followed the link in the email and requested the upgrade and it said my request failed, and may have expired.

What's going on here?
I had such an email as well (sent from amex on Sep 5). I used the link in the email today and got the approved message - so it does still work (at least for me).

Thank You!
You will receive your new Card(s) within 7-10 business days. You can continue using your existing Card(s) until you receive the new Card(s). For your protection, your Card will arrive in a plain, white envelope displaying Omaha, Nebraska, as the sender's address.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by asandrs
I had such an email as well (sent from amex on Sep 5). I used the link in the email today and got the approved message - so it does still work (at least for me).

Thank You!
You will receive your new Card(s) within 7-10 business days. You can continue using your existing Card(s) until you receive the new Card(s). For your protection, your Card will arrive in a plain, white envelope displaying Omaha, Nebraska, as the sender's address.
Did they give you the upgrade offer or an entirely new card account? Because I don't want this to affect my 5/24 status for Chase approvals, and when I called the number they said it was probably for a new account bc they couldn't see the offer tied to my account, even though the email says its there.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:06 pm

I guess I'm ok. I called the number on the email and they said my upgrade offer had already been processed. Website just crashed before it would confirm...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I clicked the link in the Sticky Wiki at the top of this thread and it goes to an offer of 75,000 points not 100,000
Same problem here. I want to apply for this asap before they convert my Citi Hilton visa to this card and I lose the signup bonus. Is the 100k offer still alive?

EDIT: After checking numerous blogs reports show 100k offer is dead as of 10/4/17. Some above being able to access if they received an email which I did not.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Nov 1, 2017 at 5:56 am Reason: to add offer expiry date
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
New card account duplicates continue

Another data point:

Got a new Surpass card, provided my HHonors account # and still, a second, new account was created with points accruing to it.

An email to the Diamond Desk referred me to a phone rep for voice verification. They were unable to immediately merge the accounts but impressed that they were answering the phone after normal business hours.

Jim
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jimquan
Another data point:

Got a new Surpass card, provided my HHonors account # and still, a second, new account was created with points accruing to it.

An email to the Diamond Desk referred me to a phone rep for voice verification. They were unable to immediately merge the accounts but impressed that they were answering the phone after normal business hours.

Jim
How can I verify this? I got my upgrade processed on Saturday. Now my online Amex account shows the Surpass card instead of the regular HHonors card. My card number, HHonors number, and HHonors point balance still show the same numbers. Does that mean I'm ok?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Some changes (positive for once) are coming to the surpass card in January once they buy Citi's portfolio

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-just-signup/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.