Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Portolan
Same offer here. Had the Surpass until about 4 years ago and then downgraded to the no fee card when we shifted to the Citi card. Have waded through the fine print at all steps short of pulling the trigger and none say anything about not being available to previous Surpass holders. I plan to capture the terms before executing. However, given the severance with the Citi card, I have to do this eventually so this looks like the moment.
I used the targeted 100,000 point upgrade to Surpass offer and received my card today. Wary of meeting the $3,000 spend and not getting the points, I called in and very specifically asked "If I have received a Surpass bonus before, will I still get the 100,000 bonus points on this upgrade offer? The answer was YES.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I used the targeted 100,000 point upgrade to Surpass offer and received my card today. Wary of meeting the $3,000 spend and not getting the points, I called in and very specifically asked "If I have received a Surpass bonus before, will I still get the 100,000 bonus points on this upgrade offer? The answer was YES.
This has been the case previously on this product. I am starting to get bonus fatigue however; I only naturally spend so much $$$ so might opt out... or might not Will see.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:20 pm

Agreed. Just had to do the same thing to get my number changed. Applied and clearly entered my HH information. Read this thread and thought it was just a few one off issues. But sure enough, when I log into the account, they gave me a new number. Luckily I just got the card so no points have hit yet. So weird they can't get this right. Citi didn't have any issues at all linking to my HH account.

Originally Posted by LWT3
Your approach seems like a good one. And your last line is very true. It's ridiculous that Amex screws this up for so many people for such a long time.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merle123
At first, I initially thought there was no prohibited language as I couldn't find it in the email or in the "terms and conditions" link in the email. Maybe yours is different, however, try clicking the "Request Upgrade" box at the bottom of the email. On the bottom of the next page, there is another "Offer Terms" link. Right at the top of the page that pops-up, it states: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."
Again, perhaps yours will be different - but double-check it.
Our offers are exactly like yours -

Right at the top of the Offer Terms pop up box, here it is -

OFFER TERMS

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Same offer here. Had the Surpass until about 4 years ago and then downgraded to the no fee card when we shifted to the Citi card. Have waded through the fine print at all steps short of pulling the trigger and none say anything about not being available to previous Surpass holders. I plan to capture the terms before executing. However, given the severance with the Citi card, I have to do this eventually so this looks like the moment.
It is not in the fine print body of the Offer Term, but it is right at the TOP of it in a SINGLE warning line. I totally missed it when I first read the Offer Terms. Thanks to merle123 post I went back to look at the spot s/he mentioned - Sure enough, it is right at the top all by itself, NOT in the fine print body where I so diligently combed through.

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I do NOT trust the AMEX reps because in recent years AMEX does NOT honor what their reps said when it comes to bonus issues. Too many examples on all cards involved. May be your offer is different but I seriously doubt it. Good Luck to those who upgrade.

Originally Posted by beckoa
This has been the case previously on this product. I am starting to get bonus fatigue however; I only naturally spend so much $$$ so might opt out... or might not Will see.
Yes. Unfortunately I have read about cases of denial on various places on the net since late last year.

That sentence right above the Offer Terms body clearly warns about no bonus to anyone previously has the product. AMEX denial is based on product even if you dont get a bonus in the past but owning the same product before disqualify a second bonus unless the warning is not there on targeted offer. However this Surpass upgrade offer does not seem a targeted one. I can see it on both our HHonor accounts despite only my husband got the email.

A couple months ago there was an upgrade offer that indeed did not have any warning, unlike the current one.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 20, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Our offers are exactly like yours -
Right at the top of the Offer Terms pop up box, here it is -

OFFER TERMS
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

It is not in the fine print body of the Offer Term, but it is right at the TOP of it in a SINGLE warning line. I totally missed it when I first read the Offer Terms. Thanks to merle123 post I went back to look at the spot s/he mentioned - Sure enough, it is right at the top all by itself, NOT in the fine print body where I so diligently combed through.
Nope, not on the offer I responded to.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Neither in mine - and I have an open and current Surpass already.

I'll wait till the last moment and than upgrade - to maximize the prorating of the annual fee (and minimize the double annual fee on two cards).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Neither in mine - and I have an open and current Surpass already.

I'll wait till the last moment and than upgrade - to maximize the prorating of the annual fee (and minimize the double annual fee on two cards).
I would trust the Offer Terms more than anything the reps said. If that warning is not on your offers, then you are good to go.

Also would take the minimize AF approach if we get the non-restrictive offer.

When the previous non-restrictive offer came out, we were on our upgraded Surpass but no blue so could not take advantage of it. We have downgraded back to Blue at anniversary but so far the offers we have seen all have the dreaded clause.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
two Hhonors numbers here too

Originally Posted by Willbur
..... But do not merge the accounts on the Hilton side until you have received the bonus/any pending points.
Thank you for this excellent advice. After applying/approval for the Amex Surpass promotion, I too now have two Hhonors numbers despite careful copy/paste of the old number onto the online application (with a screenshot saved.) I'll wait to combine them after the bonus posts.

Reading this thread implies the glitch is universal. Does Hhonors wonder why they are opening so many new accounts and retiring so many other accounts?

My only remaining problem is existing reservations are on the old Silver Hhonors number, but the Gold status is on the new Hhonors number. No easy way to edit reservations. I'll manage this when I check in to the property.

Last edited by bdnyc; Sep 26, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:28 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Cracked the code, maybe?

I applied for the surpass card last week, and like everyone else, I entered my existing Honors account number into the application. Like everyone else, a new account was opened in my name. And like everyone else, I contacted AmEx to request that the problem be fixed.

The requests did not go through from the AmEx side because ... wait for it ... my middle initial was not on my Honors account but it was on my credit card.

I had to e-mail Hilton with my account number, old name, and new name. Once they confirmed the update, it still did not show up online. So I chatted back with them this morning and they confirmed that my name had my middle initial. Then I went to AmEx and asked them to update my number, and they said it went through and would be reflected online in 2-3 days.

For those of you having trouble, this is something to try. Maybe someone who hasn't applied for a new card yet will have Hilton put a middle initial on their account (or whatever is needed, so it EXACTLY matches AmEx) and see if that works??
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:25 am

Maybe I was just lucky but my new Surpass card was correctly linked to my current HH account. I can see my points balance on the main AMEX page, and my referral bonus showed up on the Hilton site.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Maybe I was just lucky but my new Surpass card was correctly linked to my current HH account. I can see my points balance on the main AMEX page, and my referral bonus showed up on the Hilton site.
This is a sign from Providence that you should go out and buy some raffle tickets!
Tpa-flyer and MASTERNC like this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by hhonors fan
Thanks for the reply regarding foreign exchange fees in Puerto Rico. I tried calling AMEX and they just recited the terms and conditions to me but couldn't tell me if Puerto Rico was considered domestic or international. I'll ask again at check-in even though it seems like there won't be any fees.
PR is part of the US and their currency is US $. There should not be any exchange fees every.

And FWIW, many European businesses will give you the option to pay in US dollars when you swipe, also bypassing exchange fees on a card that has them. Although the rate offered at the register might be worse than you can get thru Amex or Visa.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I decided to apply to take advantage of the 100k and the free night offer. Just got two emails with one confirming approval and another confirming I had been upgraded to HH Gold. What is really strange is that the email confirming the Gold status says "as and American Express ASCEND cardmember you are entitled to Gold status." The ASCEND reference is used twice in the email. Anyone know what this is all about as it is a term I've never seen used in conjunction with the HH AMEX card.
Attached Images  
MASTERNC likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 28, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I decided to apply to take advantage of the 100k and the free night offer. Just got two emails with one confirming approval and another confirming I had been upgraded to HH Gold. What is really strange is that the email confirming the Gold status says "as and American Express ASCEND cardmember you are entitled to Gold status." The ASCEND reference is used twice in the email. Anyone know what this is all about as it is a term I've never seen used in conjunction with the HH AMEX card.
I think someone just let leak the first clue as to what will be happening with AMEX taking over all Hilton co-branded credit products.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I think someone just let leak the first clue as to what will be happening with AMEX taking over all Hilton co-branded credit products.
I sure hope they refresh their Hilton card product line. I would love to see a premium card along the lines of Chase's Ritz Carlton card.

For them to send the Ascend email out may mean they were either testing something, or are getting ready to roll something new out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.