Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
That is what I thought all these years. has anyone ever seen an official response from the Honors person on here? This link seems to think it does

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/hilto...-elite-status/
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Sorry to deviate from the current name discussion, but this is an Ascend question...

How can you find out how many Priority Passes (of your free 10) you have left? Will a lounge tell you before they charge you if you are over?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Sorry to deviate from the current name discussion, but this is an Ascend question...

How can you find out how many Priority Passes (of your free 10) you have left? Will a lounge tell you before they charge you if you are over?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by RedElmo

Thanks, I just called them and they were able to give me the info.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by poker9ite
That is what I thought all these years. has anyone ever seen an official response from the Honors person on here? This link seems to think it does

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/hilto...-elite-status/
OK, I've been a Surpass (now Aspire) Diamond for over a decade now, spending the requisite amount per year. No Lifetime Diamond.

My only advice is not to gamble on whether the TPG is right or not - with 9 years of Diamond, I'd earn out this year to hit 10. Then there's no question.

David
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
OK, I've been a Surpass (now Aspire) Diamond for over a decade now, spending the requisite amount per year. No Lifetime Diamond.
AFAIK Lifetime Diamond requires much more than years of Diamond. It also requires lifetime nights 1000?). So of course if all you have is 10 years from the card, you don't have lifetime Diamond, but not because the Diamond years from the card didn't count, but because you don't also have the requisite lifetime nights.

Unfortunately, (unlike at Marriott) Hilton does not display lifetime progress online, and as other recent threads document, it's not a simple task to find your lifetime progress.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sdsearch
AFAIK Lifetime Diamond requires much more than years of Diamond. It also requires lifetime nights 1000?). So of course if all you have is 10 years from the card, you don't have lifetime Diamond, but not because the Diamond years from the card didn't count, but because you don't also have the requisite lifetime nights.
Fully agree - just letting @poker9ite know that simply holding an AMEX HH card that somehow bestows Diamond doesn't guarantee Lifetime Diamond.

Unfortunately, (unlike at Marriott) Hilton does not display lifetime progress online, and as other recent threads document, it's not a simple task to find your lifetime progress.
Yep. Had to e-mail HH to find out what my current LT totals were. Because there were many ways of making LT Platinum/Titanium and you could get a consistent count via the website (or app), I made LT Platinum -> which is now LT Titanium.

David
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP

Sure you can, but the 10 per year are not awarded per calendar year - so how does one easily reconcile the visit history with the date the 10 visits are renewed?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Sure you can, but the 10 per year are not awarded per calendar year - so how does one easily reconcile the visit history with the date the 10 visits are renewed?
Don’t you know your card anniversary? It’s the same month expiration on the front of your card. You can count.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:35 am

Don’t you know your card anniversary? It’s the same month expiration on the front of your card. You can count.
I'm not sure about that. My card anniversary is from 1999, but I upgraded to the (now called Surpass card?) in 2017 or 2018 in a different month and did not get a new physical card. Doesn't that give me a different anniversary for the award of the 10 visits?

Also when in the anniversary month does the 10 start/end/get replenished - first day, last day, or statement date? And If I used 5 from 2018 do the extra 5 roll over or get cancelled?

Lots of details here that HH and PP could make more clear by actually showing ppl their active balance.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:26 am

And If I used 5 from 2018 do the extra 5 roll over or get cancelled?

Lots of details here that HH and PP could make more clear by actually showing ppl their active balance.

They do not roll.

Yes. They can make it more clear. But they don’t want to. So if you miscount they get more revenue from you paying them.

Also other cards are unlimited. So no one else needs counting other than us.

Just contact Priority pass once and you will know your anniversary date. Then write it on the back of the card.

This is the email I got back after asking.

Priority Pass membership number: xxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. Elmo,

Thank you for your recent email.

Please be advised that your membership visits refresh on the 27th Aug every year .

If we can help you with anything else please call us 24 hours a day 7 days a week on
+44 20 860 1338 or email us at [email protected] .

Kind regards,
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:09 am

They do not roll.

Yes. They can make it more clear. But they don’t want to. So if you miscount they get more revenue from you paying them.

Also other cards are unlimited. So no one else needs counting other than us.

Just contact Priority pass once and you will know your anniversary date. Then write it on the back of the card.

This is the email I got back after asking.

Priority Pass membership number: xxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. Elmo,

Thank you for your recent email.

Please be advised that your membership visits refresh on the 27th Aug every year .

If we can help you with anything else please call us 24 hours a day 7 days a week on
+44 20 860 1338 or email us at [email protected] .

Kind regards,
Thanks - I misunderstood. My PP card does have an expiration date including the DOM. I'd thought you meant the expiry date on my HH Amex Surpass card.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure about that. My card anniversary is from 1999, but I upgraded to the (now called Surpass card?) in 2017 or 2018 in a different month and did not get a new physical card. Doesn't that give me a different anniversary for the award of the 10 visits?

Also when in the anniversary month does the 10 start/end/get replenished - first day, last day, or statement date? And If I used 5 from 2018 do the extra 5 roll over or get cancelled?

I upgraded in 2108 from a long-held no AF card to Ascend (aka Surpass). I looked up the account open date on Credit Karma, and to the exact day it matched the annual fee billing date now shown in my 2018 summary for said Ascend card. With those dates matching so exactly (and matching the expiration month on my physical card also), I'm pretty confident I know when my card-year-anniversary benefits reset.

I suggest you go through the same exercise (Credit Karma is free) and see if all the dates line up in your case too.

(Don't use Experian; Experian's website free version only shows you the month, not the exact day, that a card was opened. Credit Karma shows you the exact day via TransUnion or Equifax reports.)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I upgraded in 2108 from a long-held no AF card to Ascend (aka Surpass). I looked up the account open date on Credit Karma, and to the exact day it matched the annual fee billing date now shown in my 2018 summary for said Ascend card. With those dates matching so exactly (and matching the expiration month on my physical card also), I'm pretty confident I know when my card-year-anniversary benefits reset.

I suggest you go through the same exercise (Credit Karma is free) and see if all the dates line up in your case too.

(Don't use Experian; Experian's website free version only shows you the month, not the exact day, that a card was opened. Credit Karma shows you the exact day via TransUnion or Equifax reports.)
Your card year anniversary isn't necessarily the same as your PP anniversary as that is signed up for separately.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Many
Trouble enrolling for Priority Pass Select with my Surpass card

Hi
I’d like to enroll my HH AMEX Surpass Card (until recently Ascend) in the Priority Pass Select membership benefit that comes with the card. I realize there will be a change effective August 1 that changes that benefit (no restaurants, just lounges) but right now I cant even enroll on the card’s site. Specifically under that benefit it reads Status Currently Unavailable. I am seeking a little more clarity hoping I can shortly enroll in whatever the Program will offer to those of us with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.