Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
If it is what I think you are referring to, that was an offer that they made for new card holders...part of the sign-up bonus. I think there were 2 times that year (2017?) when that was part of the sign-up offer and it was only good for the 1st anniversary. It was not an annual benefit of the card.
No, you're a little confused. The sign up bonus was a cert on 1st renewal anniversary with NO spend requirement. The cert with $15k spend wa
an annual benefit.

Edit: Apparently I can't read and was a little confused myself.

Last edited by B3nder; Jul 2, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by B3nder
No, you're a little confused. The sign up bonus was a cert on 1st renewal anniversary with NO spend requirement. The cert with $15k spend was an annual benefit.
Why are you correcting me? I said the exact same thing you did. The person I was answering is the one who thought it was an on-going free cert every year.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Why are you correcting me? I said the exact same thing you did. The person I was answering is the one who thought it was an on-going free cert every year.
Because I made a mistake and somehow misread "without" as "with".
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended

AU charges

Can anyone confirm if using the AU cards on your acct, if the Spend on them will count towards the free night @ $15K Spend, and if it also counts towards the $40K Spend for Diamond
TIA
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by craz
Can anyone confirm if using the AU cards on your acct, if the Spend on them will count towards the free night @ $15K Spend, and if it also counts towards the $40K Spend for Diamond
TIA
Yes, AU charges count toward the annual spend.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Does anyone know to what extent CSR's review actual spending when determining retention offers for customers looking to cancel their cards? I would prefer to avoid having eyes on my account due to MS'ing so I am debating the pros/cons of calling for a retention offer.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:45 pm

I got an email they are going back to calling the Ascend card the Surpass.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Tizzette
And I got another at the same time from Priority Pass that said the membership that comes with the card would not be valid for non-lounge airport experiences (eg. restaurants) as of Aug 1st.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by greg5
And I got another at the same time from Priority Pass that said the membership that comes with the card would not be valid for non-lounge airport experiences (eg. restaurants) as of Aug 1st.
Yeah all Priority Pass memberships coming from Amex are being limited to just lounges, not restaurants.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+

Same here.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:44 am

Same here . . . except I don't have an Ascend card.

"Your benefits are not changing."

Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:55 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I called Amex to check on this as I recently changed all my Amex cards around and the Surpass card does not have all the benefits I need.

Amex told me the email is a mistake, it should not have been sent to Ascend holders. Nothing is changing for Ascend holders. Or (in my words) not as of now.

Wonder what is really going on here?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:49 pm

Aspire card holder here who also got the email.

I'm also getting a "Your card is not eligible" when trying to get to the referral link page even though it lists my card as eligible.

Not sure if these are related issues or what. Seems like something is going on.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
Ascend card Diamond status

I really hate to post this but I can't find what I am looking for with the search engine. According to the Points guy If I get the Ascend card it will count towards my Lifetime Diamond Status. Is that true? I have 9 years diamond and this year is going to be close to achieving it. If the card gets me there I might do it and not worry about the travel. If not I need to plan the rest of this year out. I just don't travel as much and I would like to get my 10 years done then just worry about the remainder of the nights I need.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by poker9ite
I really hate to post this but I can't find what I am looking for with the search engine. According to the Points guy If I get the Ascend card it will count towards my Lifetime Diamond Status. Is that true? I have 9 years diamond and this year is going to be close to achieving it. If the card gets me there I might do it and not worry about the travel. If not I need to plan the rest of this year out. I just don't travel as much and I would like to get my 10 years done then just worry about the remainder of the nights I need.
Q. "will it count toward my Lifetime Diamond Status?" A. No.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.