Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:32 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I can confirm that after having Hilton add my middle initial to my Honors account, and then requesting Amex to update my Hilton number (and it "went through") that everything reflected correctly online within 2 days. My correct Honors number, point total, and diamond status now reflect on the Amex website. I've updated the wiki to share this suggestion, since many here seem to have the same problem and the fix is relatively simple.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:35 am

Someone on Doctor of Credit reported they had an online chat with an AMEX rep who let slip that they couldn't apply for the Ascend card yet but that it would be launched soon. When asked if it would replace the Surpass card, the user was told it would be a new card.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by christianj
I decided to apply to take advantage of the 100k and the free night offer. .
You don't get both in the first year do you? it's 100K for the 3K spend then
free weekend night only After the 1st anniversary and 2nd AF hits?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
You don't get both in the first year do you? it's 100K for the 3K spend then
free weekend night only After the 1st anniversary and 2nd AF hits?
You are correct. You will need to pay the annual fee this year for the 100K and then again next year for the free night. A no-brainer IMO for 100K and a free night.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
You are correct. You will need to pay the annual fee this year for the 100K and then again next year for the free night. A no-brainer IMO for 100K and a free night.
100K for the $79 is a no brainer.

Weekend night maybe/maybe not for the 2nd $79. If I spend 40K (generating ~150K pts or more) to get diamond status for 18/19 plus the 100K I will have so many points I won't need the addl free night :-)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:47 pm

100K for the $79 is a no brainer.

Weekend night maybe/maybe not for the 2nd $79. If I spend 40K (generating ~150K pts or more) to get diamond status for 18/19 plus the 100K I will have so many points I won't need the addl free night :-)
It just depends if you value the free night at more than $79, and if you have a need for it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:57 pm

So I want the bonus and diamond. If I apply before it expires 10/4, how long do I really have to spend the 3k? I'd like to put as much as I can of the spend in early Jan so it also counts towards the diamond $40k. Trying to think of large purchases I need to make anyway that don't involve any gift card fees or transaction surcharge.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:52 pm

Any chance Amex will re-release the HHonors card(s) as a Business card?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
If I upgrade my card today, i believe ive read that the number will stay the same so could i start spending on my old card and meet the spend of $3000 with spending on the old card already??
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
And FWIW, many European businesses will give you the option to pay in US dollars when you swipe, also bypassing exchange fees on a card that has them. Although the rate offered at the register might be worse than you can get thru Amex or Visa.
I've never been offered a rate as good as the credit card rate, or even very close. And back when I used cards with FX fees, they charged those fees even if I did the foreign transaction in US $.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
I've never been offered a rate as good as the credit card rate, or even very close. And back when I used cards with FX fees, they charged those fees even if I did the foreign transaction in US $.
Its actually called DCC Dynamic Currency Conversion, and is never a good deal for the customer. Always take the local currency, and yes, you are likely to have the fees charged for a foreign transaction, even one that is converted to dollars. Many times the merchant staff has been trained to "help" the customer by telling them it will be easier to understand their statement with all the transactions in dollars and they are very willing to pass that on to unknowing public. There should always be an option for local currency on the transaction. If you dont understand the language, you should be able to see the two options on the receipt before you sign or when the chip card are processing
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
For some reason I applied and was approved for the 100K Hilton Honors surpass card. I don't stay at hilton and didn't look at their redemption rates until after I was approved (I didn't realize it had gone from category to revenue based either). Anyway I was massively disappointed with those rates (US domestic and abroad) and will probably just give the points away (I would have got gold through status matching anyway if I wanted it) - there is the free room on renewal - I think this is at any grade hotel? (not sure if the annual fee can be waived) But for me this is the worst card for perks I have ever signed up for. I still don't have the citi prestige for goodness sake. What's most annoying is that it knocks off one of chases 5/24. C'est la vie. But unless you a Hilton fan I'd give this card a wide berth.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
For some reason I applied and was approved for the 100K Hilton Honors surpass card. I don't stay at hilton and didn't look at their redemption rates until after I was approved (I didn't realize it had gone from category to revenue based either). Anyway I was massively disappointed with those rates (US domestic and abroad) and will probably just give the points away (I would have got gold through status matching anyway if I wanted it) - there is the free room on renewal - I think this is at any grade hotel? (not sure if the annual fee can be waived) But for me this is the worst card for perks I have ever signed up for. I still don't have the citi prestige for goodness sake. What's most annoying is that it knocks off one of chases 5/24. C'est la vie. But unless you a Hilton fan I'd give this card a wide berth.
I am perplexed. Why would you apply for a Hilton card if you don't stay at Hilton's and plan on giving the points away? Is status match even an issue if you don't stay at Hilton's? Yes, the free night is for just about any hotel, but you need to pay the second year renewal fee before you are issued the free night certificate. Not certain why you wouldn't combine the 100K with the second year free night.

BTW, I find great value in the Citi Prestige, but would suggest taking a look at the benefits before applying, as the card is not for everyone.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by TTT103
I am perplexed. Why would you apply for a Hilton card
To try something new.

RE the chain base hotels I'm pretty much a Marriott guy though I have been Hyatt Diamond. I was misinformed about the redemption value of Hilton points (I didn't check) which is quite frankly awful - for example I can stay 10 days in a $300/night marriott chain hotel in capetown easily for 80K points.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
To try something new.

RE the chain base hotels I'm pretty much a Marriott guy though I have been Hyatt Diamond. I was misinformed about the redemption value of Hilton points (I didn't check) which is quite frankly awful - for example I can stay 10 days in a $300/night marriott chain hotel in capetown easily for 80K points.
Marriotts Protea hotels in Africa are an absolute steal on points. I combined a week at Proteas on points along with a tour of Africa last summer.

In terms of Hilton, it is so true that Honors points aren't worth what they once were. I can still find value along the way, but it's definitely not getting any easier. Of course, you could argue the same with Starwood. There was once a time when their St. Regis in NY could be had for 10K. Now it's 35K, and yet their rates have not increased 3.5 times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.