Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by zeer0
Technically you're not. Doctor of Credit recently posted links for the Ascend and no annual fee versions without lifetime language. I got a 2nd card and got the bonus on it, and so did a friend of mine who did the same.
Just to be clear, my initial post about this upgrade offer was informative only...I wasn't offering anyone strategy on how they should go about applying for credit cards.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:04 am

Technically you're not. Doctor of Credit recently posted links for the Ascend and no annual fee versions without lifetime language. I got a 2nd card and got the bonus on it, and so did a friend of mine who did the same.
Yeah, I remember the post. But my concern is that once you apply for and are approved for the Ascend, the NF card won’t be eligible for upgrade to Ascend anymore.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Yeah, I remember the post. But my concern is that once you apply for and are approved for the Ascend, the NF card won’t be eligible for upgrade to Ascend anymore.
Actually, a better plus for the upgrade is no credit pull. I have other important cards to use those on the Hilton cards.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
Actually, a better plus for the upgrade is no credit pull. I have other important cards to use those on the Hilton cards.
Amex rarely ever hard pulls if you already have another Amex card.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 am

Amex rarely ever hard pulls if you already have another Amex card.
I vaguely remember reading that they changed this a year or two ago. Am I imagining this? I can’t find that source right now.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA

I vaguely remember reading that they changed this a year or two ago. Am I imagining this? I can’t find that source right now.
I've applied for 5 Amex cards in the past year and no hard pulls on any.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:17 pm

The next AF for the Ascend card comes up around September 2019, I only have on Hilton stay planned in 2020 then our next stay would most likely be in 2022.

I already paid one AF on this card, if I cancel 9/2019 will I still have Gold in May 2020 or will it expire 3/31/2020 ? Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by flyer4512
The next AF for the Ascend card comes up around September 2019, I only have on Hilton stay planned in 2020 then our next stay would most likely be in 2022.

I already paid one AF on this card, if I cancel 9/2019 will I still have Gold in May 2020 or will it expire 3/31/2020 ? Thanks
don't cancel...just PC it to the no fee version.....
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900
don't cancel...just PC it to the no fee version.....
No fee HH Amex doesn't give Gold status so while I may do a PC so that I can upgrade again in the future I would still at some point lose Gold Status.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
No fee HH Amex doesn't give Gold status so while I may do a PC so that I can upgrade again in the future I would still at some point lose Gold Status.
yeah but you have the status for awhile....it doesn't just go away as soon as you PC....look to see when it would do that. I think it shows when you login..no?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900
yeah but you have the status for awhile....it doesn't just go away as soon as you PC....look to see when it would do that. I think it shows when you login..no?
Having the NAF card gives you Silver status I believe so a PC to that card is the same as no card at all as far as Gold Status goes, Hilton status usually resets 3/31/xxxx but I have read and seen where sometimes you get an extra year depending on when the card is cancelled.

My last Hilton Gold status was from my SURPASS card which I cancelled over a year ago and I still have Gold status.

If I knew the HH status match would be around I could just do the 90 days match to Diamond to cover my stay.

I was looking for some real world results, thus the question.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
What about the annual free weekend night without the 15K spend requirement, that came with the Surpass, is it going to be reinstated?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

According to the Ascend terms and conditions , your status will be lost when you cancel the card. From the terms and conditions -

"If your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status provided with the Card will be cancelled. "
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
What about the annual free weekend night without the 15K spend requirement, that came with the Surpass, is it going to be reinstated?
If it is what I think you are referring to, that was an offer that they made for new card holders...part of the sign-up bonus. I think there were 2 times that year (2017?) when that was part of the sign-up offer and it was only good for the 1st anniversary. It was not an annual benefit of the card.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
According to the Ascend terms and conditions , your status will be lost when you cancel the card. From the terms and conditions -

"If your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status provided with the Card will be cancelled. "

It doesn't work that way as Hilton only resets status once ( 4/1/xxxx) a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.