Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:10 pm

can i still use the Priority Pass after cancelling my Hilton Ascend card? thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

deleted
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:54 pm

I currently have a 75k Ascend upgrade offer on my free HH card and there is a 100k offer for new Ascend applications. How would I go about getting both offers or would doing so put me at risk of getting shut down by the RAT?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Same situation

[QUOTE=flew-d-coop;30028899]I currently have a 75k Ascend upgrade offer on my free HH card and there is a 100k offer for new Ascend applications. How would I go about getting both offers or would doing so put me at risk of getting shut down by the RAT?[/QUOTE

i was also in that situation....SM and was not able to get the addtl 25K....but 75K was okay since it didnt cause an inquiry.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
I currently have a 75k Ascend upgrade offer on my free HH card and there is a 100k offer for new Ascend applications. How would I go about getting both offers or would doing so put me at risk of getting shut down by the RAT?
You would not likely get both bonuses even if you ended up with two cards. So I would suggest not trying it.

There are enough other Hilton cards. Have you already applied for the business card? Have you already applied for the Aspire card?

If you upgrade to the Ascend, it won't count as a new card, so it might be easier to get one of the others if you upgrade for 75k rather than applying from scratch for 100k. OTOH, if you have no plsns to apply for any other Hilton card in the near future, then it might make more sense to apply from scratch for 100k.

Keep in mind that long-term you can only apply from scratch once, but unless Amex changes something you can upgrade then downgrade then upgrade again in a couple years. So, point wise, there might long-term advantage to the upgrade path, even though short-term-only advantage to the apply-from-scratch path.

Finally, check if the spend requirements are the same. I seem to recall that when I did the noAF->Ascend upgrade about half a year ago, it required less spend than the from-scratch application at the same time did. But even if that was indeed true then, I don't know if it's true now.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by sbbi
can i still use the Priority Pass after cancelling my Hilton Ascend card? thanks.
I don't have experience on this card, but every other card that gave PP canceled my membership in PP after cancelling the card.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Speaking of Priority Pass

Any idea when the 10 Priority Pass entrees is reset? Is it on January 1 or the anniversary date of my Ascend Card?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Any idea when the 10 Priority Pass entrees is reset? Is it on January 1 or the anniversary date of my Ascend Card?
It's right there on Amex website if you click on terms on your card. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36182-9-0

"With your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card you will receive 10 complimentary lounge visits every calendar year. Once your 10 complimentary lounge visits are used, all subsequent lounge visits during the remainder of the same calendar year are subject to a fee of U.S. $27 per person per visit, which will be automatically charged to your Card. To check on your remaining complimentary visit balance, please contact Priority Pass directly. Any unused complimentary lounge visits will be forfeited at the end of each calendar year. "

I'd recommend going there for this because they use different calendars for the various features (on the Aspire, anyways... there's a mix of "calendar year", "account open anniversary", "12 statements after account open anniversary", and "account conversion anniversary").
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You would not likely get both bonuses even if you ended up with two cards. So I would suggest not trying it.

There are enough other Hilton cards. Have you already applied for the business card? Have you already applied for the Aspire card?

If you upgrade to the Ascend, it won't count as a new card, so it might be easier to get one of the others if you upgrade for 75k rather than applying from scratch for 100k. OTOH, if you have no plsns to apply for any other Hilton card in the near future, then it might make more sense to apply from scratch for 100k.

Keep in mind that long-term you can only apply from scratch once, but unless Amex changes something you can upgrade then downgrade then upgrade again in a couple years. So, point wise, there might long-term advantage to the upgrade path, even though short-term-only advantage to the apply-from-scratch path.

Finally, check if the spend requirements are the same. I seem to recall that when I did the noAF->Ascend upgrade about half a year ago, it required less spend than the from-scratch application at the same time did. But even if that was indeed true then, I don't know if it's true now.

What I was hoping to do was to get two cards. One from the upgrade path and one from the new application. I had read a long time ago about people doing it but didn't track it closely at that time. I've searched a little and it seems that, as you stated, most didn't get both awards. So, for me the upgrade path now makes the best sense.

Do you know if they still grill you when opening a business card (my wife barely made it through a phone call for the amex gold a few years back)?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
Do you know if they still grill you when opening a business card (my wife barely made it through a phone call for the amex gold a few years back)?
I haven't heard much about if/how anything's changed since this happened in March:

Amex (USA) adds new requirement for minimum $1,000 annual Business Revenue

But I don't know who they grill or don't grill, when they grilled and when they didn't grill. They never grilled me on the few business card applications I did (which were mostly if not all in 2016 and 2017), but then I did them all online, not over the phone. Why was your wife on the phone with them about a business card application?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I haven't heard much about if/how anything's changed since this happened in March:

Amex (USA) adds new requirement for minimum $1,000 annual Business Revenue

But I don't know who they grill or don't grill, when they grilled and when they didn't grill. They never grilled me on the few business card applications I did (which were mostly if not all in 2016 and 2017), but then I did them all online, not over the phone. Why was your wife on the phone with them about a business card application?
i had snail mail offer for business gold with a code that we then both used online. I applied first then reused the code for her. Maybe, I should have completed her app before attempting mine and spared my wife (and me) the anguish. In the end, it went worked out but it left a scar on her.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have a question about the free weekend night for the $15,000 Ascend spend.

Got my certificate, called to make the reservation, and now when I look at the confirmation it says 80,000 points. Now they did NOT deduct those points from my account, but is that normal that it would say that?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Yes I don't think the hotel sees a night cert, just the normal point cost.

That's how it was when I used some last year, anyways
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by B3nder
Yes I don't think the hotel sees a night cert, just the normal point cost.

That's how it was when I used some last year, anyways
Yea, I actually traded out a free night cert for one night of a 3 night stay and got the points back. When looking at the booking though, it still shows the 210,000 points that I originally paid for the room.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.