Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:55 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
What actually happened? I am waiting for my status to change from Gold to Diamond at the moment.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Applied for the Aspire yesterday. Got the upgrade to Diamond email five hours later.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:40 am
JRF

I am still waiting, over 48 hours close to 72. Guess I will have to call on Monday. My card type did change on the Amex site.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by lunettes noires
I have held the no-fee Amex Honors card since 2013, got the Surpass in 2016 and canceled it just before the AF hit in 2017 (but kept the no-fee card the whole time).
Today I got an email offer to upgrade to the Ascend with a 75k bonus after $2k spend in 3 months (AF not waived and prorated AF billed after 45 days).

The voluminous fine print doesn't have any of the usual boilerplate about the offer not applying to people who previously had the card, although it does have a pretty broad clause indicating they'll deny or claw back bonuses "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so".
I received the same offer to upgrade from no fee card to Ascend for 75k bonus with same language as you, and accepted it. I had upgraded it to Surpass in the past and had a couple separate Surpass Cards over the years. The upgrade showed online and on my app within the hour. Will report back about the bonus. But since there was no language about not being eligible for the bonus if you previously held or upgraded to a Surpass (or "this product") I do not see any reason that I will not get it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:39 am
JRF

Upgrade came thought. It took 5 days.

I upgraded via the Amex website. When I logged in to pay an Amex bill fo another card, I checked the activity on my Hilton Amex Card and there was a button to upgrade. I have no idea if there is a bonus. I am guessing no as it mentioned nothing about points. Will know soon as I am using this as my main card for a few months.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
I received the same offer to upgrade from no fee card to Ascend for 75k bonus with same language as you, and accepted it. I had upgraded it to Surpass in the past and had a couple separate Surpass Cards over the years. The upgrade showed online and on my app within the hour. Will report back about the bonus. But since there was no language about not being eligible for the bonus if you previously held or upgraded to a Surpass (or "this product") I do not see any reason that I will not get it.
I had the same situation -- did the upgrade - rcvd 75k points in my account day after 2k spend
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:38 pm

Has anyone heard anything on the free annual night that was to be provided on the Surpass apps from a year ago when they were 100k + 1 night at anniversary?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Willbur
Has anyone heard anything on the free annual night that was to be provided on the Surpass apps from a year ago when they were 100k + 1 night at anniversary?
Yes, I got mine on 4/9 (4/4 was one year from my app last year). I've already used it for a booking in Croatia.
levilevi and Willbur like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, and many more
Cancel to avoid fee but use the night?

Originally Posted by fredc84
Yes, I got mine on 4/9 (4/4 was one year from my app last year). I've already used it for a booking in Croatia.
anyone tried using the night but cancelling to avoid the fee?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Has anyone heard if AM EX will offer current Ascend card holders a opportunity to upgrade to Aspire with bonuses?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Has anyone heard if AM EX will offer current Ascend card holders a opportunity to upgrade to Aspire with bonuses?
In January there were rumors that it might come in February. Maybe the people who were told that should have asked "February of which year"?

Ie, anything you hear about this (until it actually happens) cannot be treated as anything more than a rumor.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Did you receive an email notifying you? And have you been charged your annual fee yet? My application anniversary was about three weeks ago and I've been charged my annual fee but no certificate yet.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:09 pm

Has anyone been able to get the priority pass when they already have priority pass through another Amex card? I have priority pass through the Amex business plat but want the one through Amex Hilton because the 10 visits can be applied to guests, where with the Amex plat priority pass i get charged $27 for the first guest even if it’s the first time I use priority pass the whole year!
Old May 1, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
My credit card spending points usually posted to my Hilton account within a couple days after my statement close. However, it has been 10 days since my April Statement, and the points still haven't shown up in my Hilton account. Did anyone else have the same problem?
Old May 1, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
This is why I immediately tore up my PP card via the AX Ascend. Didn't want there to be any confusion.

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Has anyone been able to get the priority pass when they already have priority pass through another Amex card? I have priority pass through the Amex business plat but want the one through Amex Hilton because the 10 visits can be applied to guests, where with the Amex plat priority pass i get charged $27 for the first guest even if it’s the first time I use priority pass the whole year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.