Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Hi,

Staying here at end of month for one night for my wife's birthday.

It is our first time in KL ever. We will have lounge access as we've splashed on a suite.

Are there any noteworthy restaurants near to the hotel? And what time is alcohol served in the lounge so I know what time to book a table for?

Thanks

G
uggboy likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Hi,

It is our first time in KL ever. We will have lounge access as we've splashed on a suite.

Are there any noteworthy restaurants near to the hotel? And what time is alcohol served in the lounge so I know what time to book a table for?

Thanks

G
Lounge opens at 5:00 pm, IIRC. Not sure if you can "book a table" or not.

As the hotel is located within a retail mall, there are several restaurants you can access without even leaving the building. Here's a list of them:

http://www.intermark-mall.com/store/...at=Restaurants
uggboy and kaffir76 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Hi,

Thanks

G
Enjoy your stay and KL, it's a beautiful city, in regards of restaurants at the Intermark mall, the hotel is directly connected to this mall, the Yumlist has just published a review of Bait, a newly opened restaurant focused on fish located at the Intermark, please see:

http://theyumlist.net/en/2017/11/bai...-cafe-bar.html

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Thanks both. Sorry when I said book a table I meant at a restaurant after the cocktail times in the lounge.

thanks for the pointers re the mall - wife doesn’t eat fish I’m afraid.

Dont mind getting a cab to a restaurant if it’s worth it
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Close by I'd recommend any of the restaurants in the Troika. Walkable or quick cab
Geoggy likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Hi,

Thanks

G
Lounge Happy Hours from 1730-1930.
Geoggy likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Hi,

Thanks

G
Did you splash out on a Terrace Suite ?

Special restaurants nearby I know of Nobu (Fusion Japanese) and Marble8 (Steaks).

Otherwise the Japanese restaurant at Ground floor in the same building has a great lunch buffet on weekends.
Geoggy likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:30 pm

Travelling with wife and 2 kids this time, so booked 2 rooms stating that they needed to be connecting but that I was happy with any room type. As I've dropped down to Gold status I booked us into Exec rooms rather than chance an upgrade. Went to pick the rooms at on-line check-in as soon as I had the option and no connecting rooms available - called the hotel and they said that they couldn't give connecting rooms but they'd put a note on file to sort it out at check-in. Checked in at 1:30am to be told that there was no note and no connecting rooms. When I said that I'd find somewhere else the next day they said that they'd switch me in the morning. It turns out that one of the rooms we were in was a connecting room but they had somebody else in the room it connected to. I realise that the logistics behind room allocation can be a bit tricky but not allocating connecting rooms to people who request them whilst giving them to people who don't want them does seem a bit poor (I'd understand a bit more if all connecting rooms were actually being used as connected). Anyway, I've got another stay booked in a couple of weeks so went to front desk to get confirmation that we'd be able to get connecting rooms next time and was basically told no - you get what's available at check-in. Luckily my rate allows last minute cancellation so I've booked alternate options and will cancel this if on-line check-in doesn't have connecting rooms.

Anyway, more relevant to most, the Exec Lounge for breakfast must rank as the worst that I've been into. Yesterday morning (Sunday) we went in and it was pretty quiet, got table for 4 straight away and there were plenty of places to sit. Just two cereals (looked like bran flakes and some sort of twigs), few yoghurts, 3 types of pastry, no bottled water. Only one member of staff covering everything (he did his best though) - we had to fill in forms to order eggs and he took care of that. Juice ran out and there were no coffee cups - also ran out of bread for toast at one stage and rarely all 3 pastries were available (they seemed to top up with the minimum amount each time). Will try the main restaurant for breakfast this morning. Went back up to the lounge for a soft drink in the afternoon and there were 3 diet Cokes and some Sprites in the fridge and they didn't get restocked.

Exec Lounge better in the evening with many more staff on (if you can't get Sunday nights right then you've no chance). Went in at 6:30 and plenty of places to sit. Red and white wine was out on the counter but just one bottle of each at a time - there seemed to be 2 cans of Tiger in the ice bucket at a time. The Tigers were there twice when I went and I had to order one once. Three hot dishes were out - chicken wings, fried fish and something that I didn't recognize (they looked OK but I didn't try them as we ate before we went in). Switched next booking to a cheaper room and will chance getting an unlikely room upgrade - not really worth paying much extra for exec based on what I've seen.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by rrobbo
Travelling with wife and 2 kids this time, so booked 2 rooms stating that they needed to be connecting but that I was happy with any room type. As I've dropped down to Gold status I booked us into Exec rooms rather than chance an upgrade. Went to pick the rooms at on-line check-in as soon as I had the option and no connecting rooms available - called the hotel and they said that they couldn't give connecting rooms but they'd put a note on file to sort it out at check-in. Checked in at 1:30am to be told that there was no note and no connecting rooms. When I said that I'd find somewhere else the next day they said that they'd switch me in the morning. It turns out that one of the rooms we were in was a connecting room but they had somebody else in the room it connected to. I realise that the logistics behind room allocation can be a bit tricky but not allocating connecting rooms to people who request them whilst giving them to people who don't want them does seem a bit poor (I'd understand a bit more if all connecting rooms were actually being used as connected). Anyway, I've got another stay booked in a couple of weeks so went to front desk to get confirmation that we'd be able to get connecting rooms next time and was basically told no - you get what's available at check-in. Luckily my rate allows last minute cancellation so I've booked alternate options and will cancel this if on-line check-in doesn't have connecting rooms.

Anyway, more relevant to most, the Exec Lounge for breakfast must rank as the worst that I've been into. Yesterday morning (Sunday) we went in and it was pretty quiet, got table for 4 straight away and there were plenty of places to sit. Just two cereals (looked like bran flakes and some sort of twigs), few yoghurts, 3 types of pastry, no bottled water. Only one member of staff covering everything (he did his best though) - we had to fill in forms to order eggs and he took care of that. Juice ran out and there were no coffee cups - also ran out of bread for toast at one stage and rarely all 3 pastries were available (they seemed to top up with the minimum amount each time). Will try the main restaurant for breakfast this morning. Went back up to the lounge for a soft drink in the afternoon and there were 3 diet Cokes and some Sprites in the fridge and they didn't get restocked.

Exec Lounge better in the evening with many more staff on (if you can't get Sunday nights right then you've no chance). Went in at 6:30 and plenty of places to sit. Red and white wine was out on the counter but just one bottle of each at a time - there seemed to be 2 cans of Tiger in the ice bucket at a time. The Tigers were there twice when I went and I had to order one once. Three hot dishes were out - chicken wings, fried fish and something that I didn't recognize (they looked OK but I didn't try them as we ate before we went in). Switched next booking to a cheaper room and will chance getting an unlikely room upgrade - not really worth paying much extra for exec based on what I've seen.
Sorry for your poor experience. Is this your first stay at DoubleTree KL? My friend told me to avoid DoubleTree KL due to the poor service. Location wise, it's not as convenient as it seems to be. Quite a distance to KLCC. I'm surprised to find out that their Executive Lounge has such poor selection of food and beverage.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I avoid this place like a plague.. in many ways, this place is a hell hole. Firstly the rooms are very monotonous, not impressed with this kind of Doubletree theme. The lounge is absolutely horrendous, either packed to the brim or the offerings are pathetic. I rather spend a little more on Hilton KL. In fact with the new HGI opened at very good pricing, they may be my de facto stay if I don’t really want the lounge experience.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by gummibar
I avoid this place like a plague.. in many ways, this place is a hell hole. Firstly the rooms are very monotonous, not impressed with this kind of Doubletree theme. The lounge is absolutely horrendous, either packed to the brim or the offerings are pathetic. I rather spend a little more on Hilton KL. In fact with the new HGI opened at very good pricing, they may be my de facto stay if I don’t really want the lounge experience.
No Executive Lounge in HGI. It's a very basic hotel so to speak. Suitable for 1 night stay. Gym is open 24 hours.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:06 am

Overall I actually liked the DoubleTree (will stay again if they confirm connecting rooms). I found the rooms nice and spacious (not really sure of the point of the glass wall between bathroom and bedroom though). The breakfast in the restaurant was fine - lots of different stations although I only had porridge, cereal and pastries (this makes the issues with the lounge breakfast less of a problem). As a tourist I didn't mind the location. Covered walkway to Ampang Park LRT was very convenient. We walked into KLCC in about 10 - 15 minutes with no problem (only one slightly tricky road to cross). Actually walked back again after dark to see the Christmas tree lit up and watch the water display and that was pretty easy as well.

When we left this morning it was easy to get a Blue taxi (just after 10am) and it was 25 ringitts to Sentral for the Butterworth train. If it was just me travelling I'd probably have done the LRT but pretty easy options either way.

Overall I'd stay here again if the price was right (seem to be standard rooms for around R260). If I was still DIamond then I'd probably pay the slightly higher rates for the KL Hilton to try the Lounge there but it doesn't have cheap deals including Lounge (looks as though you can get an Exec room in DT for slightly less than a standard room in Hilton).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Just had a stay here, standard room upgraded to Exec. Checked in around 11pm, although I didn't even hint for a suite the front desk agent was apologetic that the hotel was full and no suites were available for Diamond members. (seriously guys, have all of you been asking for one?) :P

Room had a musty smell (3202) , but otherwise still nice and clean. Only other problem was the toilet which was abit stuck so some water noises. Just wanted to get to bed at that point so put up with it. No welcome amenities or letter , but as others have noted there hasn't been for over a year now.

Breakfast still a wide spread of items, but had at least 2 tour groups there so quality of food was slightly lacking.

Overall, the new HGI MAY be my next hotel since I tend to arrive late and depart early ... but waiting for reviews before deciding. Another negative for DT is the exodus of iconic mall tenants, no more steak house, speakeasy, spanish restaurant, lobster place , night club ... which used to bring life to this building. Now there's really not much to do that dosen't require a taxi ride.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
The DT KL was definitely a very decent option in KL until about a year ago. Good location, decent lounge, ok rooms and good breakfast. Things have gone downhill though (especially the quality/offerings of the executive lounge) and I think that being one of the most popular Hilton points redemption hotels - worldwide- it has probably become a victim of it's own success...
As I have said before, I would still stay there, but only on points (40K for 5 nights is a steal if the points level stays on the 10K/night at level) but if I want to pay, I definitely chose the Hilton (often only slightly more expensive)!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Delectatio
That would be a very good reason to try the Hilton Petaling Jaya next time I am in the area...
I stayed at the Hilton PJ last week. Alcohol there is by order as well. No self-service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.