Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are cheap redemption rates because hotels in general are cheap in Malaysia (and most of SE Asia for that matter). A 50,000 redemption level would look ridiculous for rooms which normally go for under 500 RMB - and I am not just talking about Hilton properties, but all properties.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As a non-regular Diamond I would say your most likely room will be an Executive one. I had like 20+ stays over the years as Diamond and never got a suite. YMMV
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:28 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demue
As a non-regular Diamond I would say your most likely room will be an Executive one. I had like 20+ stays over the years as Diamond and never got a suite. YMMV
I have received a suite three out of four stays as a Diamond, although all on occasions when there was the old GM in residence.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I was upgraded to exec floor for a stay this week and can say management has lost their mind.

As of a week ago (according to staff) all alcohol during cocktail hour is on an 'order by' basis; there is no alcohol for self serve.

On a mellow night this is no problem, relatively. On a busy night this is absolute lunacy. Staff, of which there are only two, cannot keep up. Either the hotel needs to have more floor staff or they need to put alcohol back out for self serve.

Tonight there was only one floor staff initially, the other had a break until 5:45, so there was no alcohol service because the one present was busy at the desk dealing with someone. And tables were taken quickly, that place was absolutely packed.

Race to the bottom... yada yada yada.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Oh dear. I was thinking of staying there next week for 2-3 weeks. Are the rooms and Makan kitchen breakfast still fine? I can do without the lounge in the evening, especially as the offer has been declining for at least a couple of years.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by templar42
Oh dear. I was thinking of staying there next week for 2-3 weeks. Are the rooms and Makan kitchen breakfast still fine? I can do without the lounge in the evening, especially as the offer has been declining for at least a couple of years.
The Makan breakfast spread is undoubtedly huge, but I have consistetly (over the past few years) found it to be uninspiring. The Chinese soups or Indian stuff are all very sub-par.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I was upgraded to exec floor for a stay this week and can say management has lost their mind.

As of a week ago (according to staff) all alcohol during cocktail hour is on an 'order by' basis; there is no alcohol for self serve.

On a mellow night this is no problem, relatively. On a busy night this is absolute lunacy. Staff, of which there are only two, cannot keep up. Either the hotel needs to have more floor staff or they need to put alcohol back out for self serve.

Tonight there was only one floor staff initially, the other had a break until 5:45, so there was no alcohol service because the one present was busy at the desk dealing with someone. And tables were taken quickly, that place was absolutely packed.

Race to the bottom... yada yada yada.
Wow- that is not great and a huge step back, do you mean they have removed the wine and spirits from the display?

Originally Posted by puchong
The Makan breakfast spread is undoubtedly huge, but I have consistetly (over the past few years) found it to be uninspiring. The Chinese soups or Indian stuff are all very sub-par.
Totally agree- its an illusion of food tsunami to mask the sub-par ingredients and deter you from eating well!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashkale
Wow- that is not great and a huge step back, do you mean they have removed the wine and spirits from the display?
Yes, that's exactly what's occurred.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yes, that's exactly what's occurred.
That would be a very good reason to try the Hilton Petaling Jaya next time I am in the area...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Delectatio
That would be a very good reason to try the Hilton Petaling Jaya next time I am in the area...
^

There seems to be a new GM appointed recently, in-charge of DTKL and the two yet to be opened HGIs.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by puchong
They ran out of curry chicken / fish at around 10am. Breakfast finishes at 11. So disappointing
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delectatio
OT: I did try the PJ Hilton for the first time as well. Upgraded to exec floor with lounge access (I'm currently Gold).

Breakfast was poor quality downstairs but looked, surprisingly, to be good quality in the lounge, albeit not as great of a selection. It was during breakfast downstairs that one individual took serving tongs and used them as his personal tool for everything he wanted to amass on the plate. I did not see from whence they came, nor their final placement. Part of a tour I'd imagine.

Lounge staff was fantastic. Affable, efficient and guest oriented.

I would stay at PJ Hilton again, I would be unlikely to eat in the restaurant downstairs unless I did not have access to the lounge.

Back on topic: There was one individual working the DT lounge who was fantastic - Brian. Last night the place was a zoo, every table used, patrons milling about trying to find a table and close to 300 children doing what children do. OK, that's a 10 fold exaggeration. They started off with one staff, eventually had 3 on the floor but were still struggling to keep up.

There are plenty of hotels I've been to where alcohol is on request and while I don't care for that setup it can work. But it only works if there are sufficient staff on hand to cater to needs, it does not work when the floor is intentionally short staffed. In fact, it reeks of penny pinching.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:31 pm

If you want a truly GREAT breakfast (great as in Top10, hell, Top5 I've ever had) than stay at the Renaissance JB. The location might not be "downtown" that much, but there is great food around it, and with Uber you take just a few minutes (and usually almost free thanks to several vouchers they keep spamming) to anywhere in JB "downtown"
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If you want a truly GREAT breakfast (great as in Top10, hell, Top5 I've ever had) than stay at the Renaissance JB. The location might not be "downtown" that much, but there is great food around it, and with Uber you take just a few minutes (and usually almost free thanks to several vouchers they keep spamming) to anywhere in JB "downtown"
Long commute for a good breakfast
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Long commute for a good breakfast
I shouldn't check the DT KL and the DT JB thread at the same time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.