Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K Air Canada Gold Thai Air Gold Delta Platinum Hilton Diamond
Checked in yesterday on an AMX special offer rate of $82. I was upgraded as a Diamond to #3401 on the Executive Floor. Nice suite if a little contemporary for my taste. Executive lounge was fine for breakfast , although I did walk through the Makan Kitchen to see the buffet . Not that impressed as a Westerner and one who can't imagine a breakfast buffet with out bacon etc..
I understand but once you take bacon and pork breakfast sausages off the menu there is no reason to deal with the crowds. Executive Lounge was fine with great views and was very nice in the evening. I rarely drink alcohol so can't comment on drinks

I found the staff mixed in that some were really friendly and can't do enough for you and others more reserved.. Overall though I felt very welcomed.

The pool doesn't get a lot of sun but if timed right , there is sun to be had. Had lunch at Tosca , the Italian Restaurant at the pool and it was just ok, nothing special. However the restaurants and room service are priced very reasonably when compared to most 4 and 5 star Hotels...

I flew in on Air Asia from Bangkok and would skip them in the future. No jet ways , long walk to Immigration and 7 arrivals at the same time which of course flooded Immigation. Pay a little more on Thai Air but may be worth it. Hotel said taxi should be RM 70 but in fact was RM 85.

Overall very pleased with Hotel and my treatment as a Diamond.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I'm planning to be in Kuala Lumpur for two nights and am debating between the Hilton and the Doubletree. I see the benefits of staying at both hotels, and reviews for both seem quite good.

I am wondering which hotel would have a better chance for a room upgrade as a HHonors Gold member (such as to an executive floor). Is one property more "elite-heavy" than the other?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Stayed here a couple of weeks ago. Quick summary:

Full review and pictures available on my blog.
    Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:35 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
    Originally Posted by calvinoeh
    Stayed here a couple of weeks ago. Quick summary:

Full review and pictures available on my blog.
      Thanks for the review and pictures. We're probably going to stay here, arriving on the Aeroline bus from Singapore, which drops off at the Corus Hotel on Jalan Ampang. It looks like it would be just a 10 minute walk to the DT, but I'm wondering how tricky that might be with luggage (probably just one each and maybe a laptop bag). You check out the area around the DT?
      Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
      Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
      Thanks for the review and pictures. We're probably going to stay here, arriving on the Aeroline bus from Singapore, which drops off at the Corus Hotel on Jalan Ampang. It looks like it would be just a 10 minute walk to the DT, but I'm wondering how tricky that might be with luggage (probably just one each and maybe a laptop bag). You check out the area around the DT?
      The walk should be doable if you have light luggage but I would expect you to get hot and sweaty. It's always hot and humid in Kuala Lumpur! It should be safe if that's your concern but as usual, keep an eye out as with other major cities.
      Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:20 pm
      Suspended
      Original Poster

We're probably going to stay here, arriving on the Aeroline bus from Singapore, which drops off at the Corus Hotel on Jalan Ampang. It looks like it would be just a 10 minute walk to the DT, but I'm wondering how tricky that might be with luggage (probably just one each and maybe a laptop bag).
      Are you sure you want to do that after a 4hr journey on a bus, when the taxi fare is only MYR3-5 ?

Even if you don't mind the heat and humidity, do also bear in mind you need to cross a major road (Jalan Tun Razak) which is almost like a freeway to get across to the Intermark complex where the Double Tree is located.
      Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:32 pm

you should definitely take a taxi. the roads are very busy there and driving is not like here in the U.S.

It should be easy to get a taxi. Save yourself the headache and enjoy your time while you are there.

While you are there, you should try to catch one of those little bicycle taxi rides and try the little drinks they sell on the sides of the roads at the little carts. They are known for the iced coffee there. Give it a try; also the curry puffs are to die for.

Have fun~
      Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by mario33
      Are you sure you want to do that after a 4hr journey on a bus, when the taxi fare is only MYR3-5 ?

Even if you don't mind the heat and humidity, do also bear in mind you need to cross a major road (Jalan Tun Razak) which is almost like a freeway to get across to the Intermark complex where the Double Tree is located.
      No, not sure at all. That's why I asked.

I've read horror stories about how bad KUL taxi drivers are RE refusing to use the meter. Can you recommend a reliable taxi company I should look for when we arrive or are they all pretty much the same?
      Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:11 am

@:-)
      No, not sure at all. That's why I asked.

I've read horror stories about how bad KUL taxi drivers are RE refusing to use the meter. Can you recommend a reliable taxi company I should look for when we arrive or are they all pretty much the same?
      I would say all pretty much the same. It's not just the taxi drivers there that drive crazy.

As far as the meter, just ask when you open the door and before you step in the car, " Meter, please" This will likely encourage them to use the meter so you will step into the car. If the say, "No", just close the door and say thanks.@:-)

Another choice is just use the coupon taxi. Get the coupon inside the airport then you don't have to worry about the meter or the price. But, make sure to keep an eye on receiving the correct change.@:-)@:-)

BTW, do not ask, "how much". This may give the perception of not using the meter and a set fee.

Last edited by shoreline; Oct 15, 2011 at 10:33 am
      Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: SAS
      But isnīt there a covered walkway across the Jalan Tun Razak ? As far as I can make out it would a fairly easy walk from the Corus to Double Tree.
      Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
      Originally Posted by cph_flyer
      But isnīt there a covered walkway across the Jalan Tun Razak ? As far as I can make out it would a fairly easy walk from the Corus to Double Tree.
      With heavy luggage it wouldn't be so easy to climb up and down quite steep stairs leading to this walkway Taxi still would be easier.
      Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:59 pm
      Suspended
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by cph_flyer
      But isnīt there a covered walkway across the Jalan Tun Razak ?
      There might be one near the MIDF building (i don't walk around that area much but often just drove past).

Some taxi drivers may not be willing to drive such a short distance, if there is not much traffic the meter fare may just be MYR3 which is less than USD1. If they asked for a fixed fare of MYR5 I do not think it's unreasonable even if they are supposed to use the meter.

Another point to note if taking at taxi is whether the road entrance along Jalan Ampang is still there. If the only entrance is along Jalan Tun Razak, do be prepared for a longer ride as it's a long loop to get to the other side of the freeway.

Last edited by mario33; Oct 15, 2011 at 11:05 pm
      Old Oct 16, 2011, 7:17 am

Another point to note if taking at taxi is whether the road entrance along Jalan Ampang is still there. If the only entrance is along Jalan Tun Razak, do be prepared for a longer ride as it's a long loop to get to the other side of the freeway.
      This is a good point. Getting directions from Google maps yields a roundabout way to the DT by car:

Northeast on Jalan Ampang
      Left on Jala Sejahtera
      Left on Jalan Damai
      Left on Jalan Aman
      Left on Jalan Tun Razak
      Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:35 am
      Suspended
      Original Poster

This is a good point. Getting directions from Google maps yields a roundabout way to the DT by car:

Northeast on Jalan Ampang
      Left on Jala Sejahtera
      Left on Jalan Damai
      Left on Jalan Aman
      Left on Jalan Tun Razak
      Taxi fare should be around MYR5 ; with the above given directions, you know the driver wasn't taking you for a ride when he drives past the DT and goes round in a circle
      Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:42 am

Taxi fare should be around MYR5 ; with the above given directions, you know the driver wasn't taking you for a ride when he drives past the DT and goes round in a circle
      Indeed.

Can you suggest some places to eat around the DT? Nice place for dinner perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.