Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Point Changes to Hilton Honors Amex Earning Structure

Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I noticed the following change to my agreement in my last statement.

Effective Jan. 1, 2009.

"Points Accumulation Agreement
We are replacing the first two paragraphs of the Points Accumulation Agreement with the following:
"You will receive three Hilton HHonors bonus points for each U.S. dollar of "Eligible Spending" (as defined below) on your Hilton HHonors
Card from American Express (the "Card").
You will receive three additional Hilton HHonors bonus points (for a total of six Hilton HHonors bonus points) for each U.S. dollar of Eligible
Spending at the following categories of merchants, excluding warehouse clubs and superstores: supermarkets; drug stores; stand-alone
gas stations; and home telephone, wireless, cable, satellite TV, and Internet service providers.
You will receive three additional Hilton HHonors bonus points (for a total of six Hilton HHonors bonus points) for each U.S. dollar of Eligible
Spending on the Card at any Hilton Family hotel worldwide (excluding Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare purchases and package sales).
All points are accumulated subject to the terms set forth below and to Hilton HHonors Terms and Conditions.
Hilton HHonors membership, earning of Points & Milesć, and redemption of points are subject to Hilton HHonors Terms and Conditions."
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I also notice that the Post Office is no longer a category of merchant that earns additional points.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:47 pm
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
so you are basically saying that we'll earn 6 instead of 5 points/$ at the higher categories?
That's great news.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good news indeed - for some categories

Goodbye US Post Office. Goodbye restaurants :sob!: Hello SureWest*!

My choice now for restaurants will be between 1 AA mile or 3 HHonors points per dollar spent,m in addition to the AAdvantage Dining miles.

*My phone, HISA and TV provider.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 8, 2008 at 6:10 pm Reason: edit
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Didn't restaurants used to be included in the bonus list? I don't see them in this new list anywhere..
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Yes, restaurants are currently part of the list. I guess that is the main tradeoff for having an extra point for the other categories.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by VA1379
Yes, restaurants are currently part of the list. I guess that is the main tradeoff for having an extra point for the other categories.
Shoot.. I guess that might work out better for some, but I have traditionally earned a lot of bonus points on restaurant spending through meals on the road with co-workers. This is disappointing news.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:49 pm
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I did not realize that restaurants were not in the new list anymore. That's not good. They're the most of my 5x spending. It was also easy to get plenty of points when going out to lunch with co-workers, taking the cash off the table and putting the whole tab on the card.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by VA1379
Hrmmm...

The extra point is nice, but, losing the restaurants is a major bummer.

I have a better card for gas/groceries/pharmacies (5%), and my cable company doesn't even take AMEX.

Restaurants was definitely my BIG spending category for this card.

So, in my case, although I'm getting a better bonus, it's in categories I can't/won't use.
:/
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I noticed on the American Express Website I currently cannot find any additional information on the Hilton Card or even see it listed in card side by side comparisons--possibly to update the listed changes in the thread and possibly more changes???

sdcarver
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:54 pm

Not good news, I use the card exclusively for the USPS. I've spent about $80k with the USPS this year.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
This is going to encourage more HH spending for me in the new 6 HH point category for sure.

The Costco Amex (Business Card) gives 3% cashback on restaurants. Worth roughly what 5 HH points are, I'd say, and almost certainly better than 3.

It also give 5% cashback on gasoline and 2% at hotels/rental cars/airfares and a variety of other useful ~3-5% discounts for Hertz, FedEx, DL, Marriott, etc.

You do have to cash the annual check at a Costco.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Sorry, I have to ask the obvious & dumb question. Are restaurants now at a 3 point reward rate?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I specifically got the HH AMEX for the restaurant, grocery store and gas station bonus points so this really is a negative development for my spending patern. Now the card will only be used for the other two categories getting 6 pts. per $. Will now have to decide if my restaurant spending will go back to my SPG AMEX or which card I want to use moving forward. The one additional point for the other categories will definitely not make up for the loss of the restaurant bonus!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:07 am

Is the Hilton card worth getting to use for just one large expense at a Hilton property verus using a starwood card? An expense large enough that would put you imediately over bonus point threshold?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.