Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Reach Key West, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Reach Key West, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
There are several threads on this - truly it's a dump! Makes me mad every time I get an email promoting it and I can't seem to turn them off. Here's our nightmare...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post19053201

You might consider posting a review on Tripadvisor so others don't make our same mistake!

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Nov 3, 2013 at 12:04 am
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
It seems many of the former LXR properties are poorly managed and, as such, aren't befitting of Hilton Worldwide's luxury brands. While I've not been to either of the Key West locations, I haven't read many good things about them here on FlyerTalk. That El San Juan was briefly a Waldorf Astoria hotel before being downgraded to an unbranded Hilton affiliate was laughable. While the LXR properties might have storied histories, grand lobbies, beautiful grounds, in my experience the maintenance/housekeeping and service are uniformly poor.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
You might consider posting a review on Tripadvisor so others don't make our same mistake!
Copied and pasted on the same day - I just can't believe the number of positive reviews on TA.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:18 am

Received 48k points back in my account, as compensation from the front desk manager, so 5 night stay ended up costing us 192k points. I appreciate the gesture.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Must be nice. We got bupkus despite repeated attempts to reach management, and some really serious issues - as I said in my review, I have never had housekeeping staff so consistently totally ignore my Do Not Disturb to beat loudly on the door at all hours. And barge in with a key, with DND up, after we didn't answer!

LOUD power washer for hours right outside our door - the list goes on. I won't ever be back, so I guess that's solace of some sorts...

I really think management here just assumes they'll always have guests, due to the limited options in Key West, so they can treat people however they like. Give them a big raspberry from me, if you get the chance!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Stayed at the reach over a week ago (it was half the price of the WA Casa). My experience:

Quick and seamless check-in (all in all good front desk clerk). Given an upgrade to a mini suite (no view) from the base room... It was a one category upgrade for what that's worth. Given a split of sparkling wine, a box of cookies (very good btw), and a drink voucher for two (valid at the steak house, no purchase required).

The room was crazy hot when we entered, evidently the a/c turns itself off if no movement in the room for 4 hours (energy efficient, however this was the top floor and it was very uncomfortable), also the phone didn't work when I called the front desk to have them send somebody up to check on the a/c. There is a wet bar and fridge in the kitchen area (as well as a table and chairs. Everything was in working order (other than the phone and a/c...which the maintenance guy removed the motion sensor setting to "VIP setting" so it would run continuously).

Bathroom was large (although a lot of dead space) and we experienced water leaking out of the shower when used as there isn't a tub, so the curtain can go over the short tile at the base causing water to run onto the floor.

Pool service (towel set up and food/drinks) was very good, housekeep was efficient as well. Prices were as expected at a Waldorf resort.

As a diamond the resort charge was reduced to $15 (paid stay, usually $25) due to "free wifi" for diamonds.

I waled over to Casa marina and checked out their common area's (Casa is much nicer).

The reach was ok...no major complaints, however it certainly is't a luxury hotel (service level was great, however the hard product was just ok). I would come back here if it was much cheaper than Casa, if the prices are similar I would go with Casa without any hesitation.

FWIW, I was expecting a piece of junk after reading this thread. It was better than I thought it was going to be... With that said, I'm not sure why this hotel flagged a Waldorf (a hilton or doubletree would be much more appropriate IMO)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:30 pm

I stayed at The Reach on Dec27 2014 which was in the middle of the most busy week in KeyWest.

The Reach is definitely not a Waldorf Astoria resort by any stretch of imagination. It is probably a double tree at best. The property looks like a old 3star hotel. I was in a king courtyard suite that was Ok and definitely not among the top suites in the world. They have a shared private beach with Casa Marina.

Having said the above, the service I received was definitely good.
I received a small Champagne bottle and complementary drinks coupon upon check in (Hilton Gold status).

In addition, I received a big champagne bottle and a box of lindt chocolates for our wedding anniversary celebration. The concierge was helpful in booking sunset cruise and jet ski.

Overall, I think it would be an excellent Hilton doubletree range hotel.

Having a Waldorf Astoria tag puts an expectation in the resort thats not matched and hence leads to negative reviews in my opinion.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:22 pm

Stayed five nights over Christmas 2015.

Was not able to get an upgrade from a standard city view room (80K points a night) as the hotel was sold out all week. But during self check-in I selected room 307 which appeared to have a partial ocean view and actually had a nice balcony with a fairly nice ocean view and we were quite close so the ocean noise was nice too.

Got the split of champagne on check-in. On check-out only charge was for parking - no resort fee charged.

So how was it? As others point out it doesn't look or feel like a WA hotel - but the staff were excellent and close to what you'd expect at a WA. I like for instance that on arrival the valet guy took charge of the car and delivered the luggage. Also, the car was always ready when we called down for it.

Our rooms was nice and well appointed. Only real complaint was the airflow out of the AC was noisy and woke me from time to time. (This was the sound of the air, not the blower itself. Basically the output vent is too small for the airflow. I complained twice and the engineering guy they sent was nice, but he said there's only one fan speed.)

Other general observations:
  • The floors of the corridors to the rooms need repainting (they are outside). They were worn and looked bad.
  • There's no tiki bar where most places have snacks. The restaurant doesn't (as far as I could tell) have any snacks. And there's no places close by for snacks - so you might want to bring some with you if you like snacking! (The relatively nearby Southernmost cafe doesn't have snacks either - burgers are $20+.)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
I recently stayed here for 2 nights and found it to be a great place. The Casa Marina might be bigger and better, but I was very pleased with The Reach. The pool is tiny, but nice. Casa Marina might be better for pool, but I think Reach is better for beach/ocean. I had a Courtyard view room which had a nice side view of the pool/ocean. Breakfast was good, lunch poolside was delicious. Staff were pleasant and nice. Getting a cab was slow, not sure if that's hotels fault or if they could even have more there waiting for people. It's an easy walk to all the action on Duval st so don't need a rental car or really even cabs if that's your destination.

If the points value was same on a future award stay I'd probably try Casa Marina just to compare, but if staying on a paid stay and could save a few I'd stay here again.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:07 am

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thphilly
I recently stayed here for 2 nights and found it to be a great place. The Casa Marina might be bigger and better, but I was very pleased with The Reach. The pool is tiny, but nice. Casa Marina might be better for pool, but I think Reach is better for beach/ocean. I had a Courtyard view room which had a nice side view of the pool/ocean. Breakfast was good, lunch poolside was delicious. Staff were pleasant and nice. Getting a cab was slow, not sure if that's hotels fault or if they could even have more there waiting for people. It's an easy walk to all the action on Duval st so don't need a rental car or really even cabs if that's your destination.

If the points value was same on a future award stay I'd probably try Casa Marina just to compare, but if staying on a paid stay and could save a few I'd stay here again.
I agree with you about the location, beach access and the breakfast. That breakfast was excellent (second only to the breakfast I had at the Waldorf La Quinta Resort) and the beach location was private, perfect and included lounge chairs with a great attendant!

With that said, I would only stay here if you get a good rate as during our stay I felt we overpaid as the room was just standard and the service was subpar from some of the staff (such as the mandatory valet staff and checkin staff). With rooms averaging a few hundred a night, I expected more in that regard.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by thphilly
For whatever reason points value is usually better at Casa Marina.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
This property absolutely should not be a Waldorf. Grounds are ok, and a private beach and that is it. Our room 402, supposedly superior ocean view was right next to a hugely noisy aircon plant. Was like being in an old plane. Needed earplugs overnight. Could not get moved bby the front desk. Decor is tired and needs sorted. It is a bog standard Hilton at best.
Avoid.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
This property absolutely should not be a Waldorf. Grounds are ok, and a private beach and that is it. Our room 402, supposedly superior ocean view was right next to a hugely noisy aircon plant. Was like being in an old plane. Needed earplugs overnight. Could not get moved bby the front desk. Decor is tired and needs sorted. It is a bog standard Hilton at best.
Avoid.
Did you not check this thread BEFORE booking? There is enough here and on Trip Advisor to avoid such experiences, stay at Casa Marina.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Indeed, hindsight is good.
That said I also complained to HHonors service and got a 100k points credit..
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:40 pm

Reach Key West closes 8/1 for “extensive rejuvenation”, reopen as a Curio 12/1

Received an email from Hilton today (past Reach guest?).Rooms and bathrooms will still be small, I would like to see them raze the building, start over, as it is a great location, poor utilization of the lot.

Also mentioned on the opening page of the property website: Key West Hotels & Resorts | The Reach Key West

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.