Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q from a Blue: Are executive floor rooms worth the cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: nada these days

I'm a frequent flyer but don't stay in hotels very often. I've got a conference this spring at the Hilton Minneapolis. They're offering rooms on the executive floor, including lounge access, for an extra $30 a night. Would you say it's worth the cost? What kind of breakfast options does the lounge have, and are the cocktails exorbitantly priced? In other words, if you didn't get a comp upgrade, would you pay for it?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I figure it's always better to check with the experts first.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The food/drinks in Hilton lounges varies far and wide. The US Hiltons, generally speaking, don't have as good a spread in their lounges as their European and Asian brethren.

I'd find out what the lounge offers first: Breakfast, evening h'ors d'oeuvres, alcoholic drinks, etc. Also inquire if there are any other Executive floor bennies.

I'd compare this with your "real world" costs and see if it makes sense.

Lastly, who's paying? If you're getting reimbursed, I'd take it without a second thought.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:12 am
Original Poster

My company just axed most travel spending, unfortunately. I'm on a few panels at the conference and am heavily involved in the organization hosting it, so I'm still going but most likely will have to pay for it myself up front and write it off next year.

(I'm still new to the wonderful world of itemized deductions, though, as 2008 will be the first tax year for which I'll use them, so I don't know -- are you allowed to book a more expensive room, as in this instance, and write off the full cost, or just the cost of a standard room?)
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
I say outside the US it is worth it, I use the lounges to the max, drinks, meals and just a nice place to sit besides my room. I would look at each hotel and see what people say about the lounges at that hotel. There is stuff here and on places like trip adviser. I find myself saying I would pay for this in Europe, but when in the US hotels, i say the poor people who paid for this.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:13 am

The lounges really vary a lot in the US, so maybe someone here who has stayed there recently can chime in on what that specific hotel has. An example is we stayed in the Salt lake City Hilton about two years, and the lounge had complimentary drinks and snacks in the evening, and a decent hot breakfast in the morning. Since it was my bride & I, if we had paid the $30 extra for the room, it probably would have been worth it for us. We didn't have to pay since we were upgraded as Diamond status though.

By comparison, at the Greenville SC Hilton, the lounge is small. They have wine & beer in the evenings, along with chips & pretzels. You pay for each drink, but the snacks are free. The breakfast is cold food unless you want to heat up a bagel. They had cereals, fruit & muffins too.

So there is big differences in what you get here in the US between Hilton properties, but not as much outside the US.

David
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
For the most part the lounge is not worth 30 bucks, but I normally do not eat breakfast. Even cereal will cost you 15 in the restaurant. As for dinner most lounges have snacks and some cookies or something at night.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: IC PLat Elite
it depends def on where you are staying..sometimes i think it is worth it just it if you are going to be getting a better view..that is my opinion though
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
As mentioned in this thread before, it is also my opinion that the US Hiltons vary wildly in what they offer in the executive lounge. My experience is that they offer one hot item in the evening snack time, and a veggie/cheese selection, and I've only experienced pay as you go honor bars for alcoholic drinks at Hiltons in the US, no free beer/wine at US locations (I'm sure they are out there, but I havent seen them on the East coast or Texas). As far as breakfast the hotels vary even more than the evening snacks...some have one (or more) hot items, some don't.

A real benefit for me is the free softdrinks and bottled water in the lounge. Since I drink 5 or 6 bottled waters a day, this can add up at normal hotel prices, so for me, $30 for lounge access is worth it, expecially if the hotel is remote and I can't walk to alternative breakfast/dinner location.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by erdehoff
I'm a frequent flyer but don't stay in hotels very often. I've got a conference this spring at the Hilton Minneapolis. They're offering rooms on the executive floor, including lounge access, for an extra $30 a night. Would you say it's worth the cost? What kind of breakfast options does the lounge have, and are the cocktails exorbitantly priced? In other words, if you didn't get a comp upgrade, would you pay for it?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I figure it's always better to check with the experts first.
Hilton Minneapolis lounge - top floor, great view. Nive sitting areas with couches or tables. Continental breakfast. Drinks in the evening ~$6-7 I think with hot/cold finger foods. You used to be able to drop in anytime for a pop/fruit.

So, for $30 you can get breakfast (~$15 in restaurant) + free access to a lounge.

Its all about the cost benefit ratio for you.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Will you be travelling alone or with family? Just factor more than one person in and the lounge is well worth it. But as others have stated it is about preferences- will you use the lounge or not as well as what is offered.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hilton also has some sales going on. I know they had some good weekend deals, if prepaid by Feb 12th or something. Not sure when your conference is, or if this deal applies to US hotels or not.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by little_dc
I say outside the US it is worth it, I use the lounges to the max, drinks, meals and just a nice place to sit besides my room. I would look at each hotel and see what people say about the lounges at that hotel. There is stuff here and on places like trip adviser. I find myself saying I would pay for this in Europe, but when in the US hotels, i say the poor people who paid for this.
Yeah, I perused this forum pretty thoroughly before posting and it sounded like the non-U.S. lounges are much nicer! The reviews of this hotel that I found on FT didn't quite have the information I was after, but I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check TripAdvisor too. I'll do that. Thanks!

Everybody: Thank you! I think I'm going to go for it.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by erdehoff
Yeah, I perused this forum pretty thoroughly before posting and it sounded like the non-U.S. lounges are much nicer! The reviews of this hotel that I found on FT didn't quite have the information I was after, but I don't know why it didn't occur to me to check TripAdvisor too. I'll do that. Thanks!

Everybody: Thank you! I think I'm going to go for it.
What hotel are you inquiring about?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:38 pm

I would just buy some bananas from the supermarket and save the 30 bucks. (Very biased tho - I think the banana is a perfect breakfast).
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What hotel are you inquiring about?
The Hilton Minneapolis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.