Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:28 am

Called the hotel and spoke to Sales Manager. No rebooking due to non-refundable rate. Manuel check-in / check-out won't get me the stay credited due the reservation has to be in the system over night. They can't check me in over night, as it is agains their fire regulations.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Wirelessly posted (iPod: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I always wonder about online checkin. I assume you don't get the credit unless you show up and get a key?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:43 am

Exactely
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by servus
Called the hotel and spoke to Sales Manager. No rebooking due to non-refundable rate. Manuel check-in / check-out won't get me the stay credited due the reservation has to be in the system over night. They can't check me in over night, as it is agains their fire regulations.
The "fire regulations" thing sounds like a BS line to me. I am more inclined to think that if they check you into a room then they can't sell that same room to someone else for double revenue.

I think that the hotel is being a little unyielding on this one. They are still getting your revenue if they check you in, yet they don't have to clean your room, give you any on-property HH benefits, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Non-refundable means non-refundable unless the HH hotel management bends the rules (they have did it a few times for me). Hilton has always required a real person to check-in in order to receive HH points and/or credit (so a FT search on Hilton) and I dont remember reading of any waiver on this. I wish the OP good luck but suggest he tries another plan.

MisterNice
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:37 am
Suspended

Am pretty amused at some of the pretty useless advice IMHO being given the OP here and some of the attendant rationalization as the why it should be allowed.

The fact is that Hilton within the past few years have tightened up (considerably) on members booking usually (the cheapest) no cancel rates and then calling in and attempting to get the hotel to check them so the can get stay credit.
Remember the good old standard .. the Reno Hilton $29 rates?

That its not allowed was specifically ADDED to the HH T & C a few years ago.
What happens if he calls in and is told by the property that its OK (that is after getting a manager to contravene the program rules ) and the stay doesnt post.. how will he prove it without a valid folio?

Calling in and getting the hotel to rebook you at the same rate on another day has worked at times but without actually checking in what the OP is requesting.. someone stay after adding their name to the folio is the only other out here.

mike
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
The fact is that Hilton within the past few years have tightened up (considerably) on members booking usually (the cheapest) no cancel rates and then calling in and attempting to get the hotel to check them so the can get stay credit.
Remember the good old standard .. the Reno Hilton $29 rates?

That its not allowed was specifically ADDED to the HH T & C a few years ago.
What happens if he calls in and is told by the property that its OK (that is after getting a manager to contravene the program rules ) and the stay doesnt post.. how will he prove it without a valid folio?

Calling in and getting the hotel to rebook you at the same rate on another day has worked at times but without actually checking in what the OP is requesting.. someone stay after adding their name to the folio is the only other out here.
Yes. T&C's state 'No point or stay credit, airline frequent flyer mileage credit or credit toward tier status will be awarded for "no show" situations when a member has made a reservation guaranteed with a credit card but then does not check in to the hotel — irrespective of whether or not the member's credit card is charged for any portion of the reserved stay per the hotel's "no show" policy.'

If you needed to change your date, or had a multi-day stay and had to cancel just the first night, or something like that, you may have some luck getting the refund. Even in the OP's case, the hotel would be more likely to offer a refund or a credit against a future stay than to check him in and check him out, which is strictly against Hilton's policies.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
If you are only interested in the points, why don't you simply offer 1 weekend to a friend/colleague, and follow the steps described few posts back? I am sure that in less than 3 hours you will somebody willing to help you and willing in the same time to spend few days in Amsterdam on your expense
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
You say you need this stay for diamond status. I assume the diamond status is worthwhile to your travel plans. Why play around?

Book another Hilton hotel for $100 and get your status.

In the scheme of things, an extra $100 is a small additional investment to get your status.

An anecdote: Back in the 2000 LatinPass run for 1,000,000 miles I lost a boarding pass for a flight. The rules for 1,000,000 miles required submitting all flight boarding passes.

I had taken the flight, but I did not have the required proof. I spent $500 or so to fly down to the Caribbean and pick up another flight for $100.

I got a 1,000,000 miles without having to fight over a missing boarding pass. I hated to spend the extra money, but I was the one who lost the boarding pass.

If you want diamond elite status, put up some more money. You gambled on a cheap nonrefundable rate and lost.

The solution is simple. Buy another room.

p.s. It's worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:12 am

Hey folks!

While I really appreciate some great advice from several FT'ers, I must agree with MISKESILV that there are also some really useless suggestions. Bottom line is, SATORI is right, I gambled on a cheap room rate and lost. As my "second" trip goes to Vegas, I'll follow SATORI'S advise and book the Vegas Hilton for $45. I never intended fighting Hilton for something I'm not entitled to but why should I throw $99 + $45 out of the window for just not asking? Serveral years back I made a non-refundable reservation from Monday-Tuesday but actually I needed the room from Tuesday - Wednesday. Fortunately the hotel changed my reservation without hesitation.

Once again, thanx for your thoughts!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:24 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by loomis
I think that the hotel is being a little unyielding on this one. They are still getting your revenue if they check you in, yet they don't have to clean your room, give you any on-property HH benefits, etc.
I don't agree. If you book a non-refundable airline ticket for day X and don't show up, take your seat, and fly, do you think that they're unyielding if they refuse to give you miles? They won't have to cater your seat, check your bags, print your BP, clean your seat, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Everyone!
I have a number of these January sale rates coming up soon. So, we should get our normal HH points posted for our pre-paid rate after we check out? Shouldn't we also get the bonus points for the current 1,000 per night promo or will this be screwed up with the pre-pay?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:40 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by jkzahn
I have a number of these January sale rates coming up soon. So, we should get our normal HH points posted for our pre-paid rate after we check out? Shouldn't we also get the bonus points for the current 1,000 per night promo or will this be screwed up with the pre-pay?
We've had several January Sale stays up to now and received the normal points and Q1 double points no problem. I'm therefore expecting to get the 1000 points per night for a couple more of these stays in the UK and also a normal pre-paid Advance Purchase stay in Florida. The conditions do not seem to differentiate between pre-paid and normal rate stays. Hopefully, it works!
Old May 11, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Modifying non-refundable advance ressie

I booked a two night stay at a Hampton Inn a few weeks ago and chose an advance purchase non-refundable rate. The ressie is in my name and I was supposed to go with my wife. Well something came up and my wife will be going alone.

Will they allow her to check-in without me there? I cannot add her to the ressie online. Before I call the hotel and tell them either....I am arriving late so allow her to check in; or she will be checking in alone.....I figured I'd ask the experts here first!

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:22 am

I've had this happen to me, and have never had it questioned. Technically you shouldn't get HH points for the stay if you aren't there, but we have also had points credited without question when I made the reservation and couldn't go.

jb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.