Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Home2 Suites - Hilton's new Extended Stay Brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Looks like Hilton finally announced their plans for an Extended Stay chain:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hilton...-14154357.html

Details and pics on the concept can be found here:

http://www.home2suites.com/ESP/index.html

Outside design sure looks very *W element like. Interior kind of *W aloft like. Rooms look a little too small for an extended stay to me. Overall kind of a disappointment when compared to the *W element Extended Stay concept IMHO.

Agreemens have been signed for hotels in New York City, N.Y., Baltimore/White Marsh, Md., Charlotte, N.C., Jacksonville, N.C., Gadsden, Ala., Alabaster, Ala., Elko, Nev., and three hotels in San Antonio, Texas.

Last edited by christianj; Jan 26, 2009 at 10:36 am
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Reminds me a bit of Hyatt Place, though I'm not sure why.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat/Oneworld Sapphire
It's like a fancied-up Hampton Inn
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Reminds me a bit of Hyatt Place, though I'm not sure why.
I just looked at the website and I must agree that it reminds me of Hyatt Place/Amerisuites. The average room looks smaller than most Hyatt Place "suites". However, some Hyatt Places have smaller, "non-suite" rooms which look remarkably similar to these.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It's a fancied-up TownePlace Suites. At $70-75K per key there isn't much they can do to get "fancy."

Seems to me this will simply cannibalize the market from Homewood Suites. It seems a very odd time to be pushing yet another brand.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, AAdvantage, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, BOFA Accolades
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It's a fancied-up TownePlace Suites. At $70-75K per key there isn't much they can do to get "fancy."

Seems to me this will simply cannibalize the market from Homewood Suites. It seems a very odd time to be pushing yet another brand.
Actually it is pretty smart. It kills two birds with one stone:

It puts out something new to combat the aloft and element brands from *W and it introduces a lower price point. Most Americans are scaling back and looking for cheap alternatives to the prices they normally pay.

I like the new concept. I think they may eventually phase the Hampton brand out as the name/ hotel does not really fit into the Hilton scheme of things.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Home2 Suites by Hilton, the new extended-stay hotel brand from Hilton Hotels, focuses on the midprice market. The new Hilton brand will compete with Marriott International's TownePlace Suites and Intercontinental Hotels' Candlewood, according to Bill Duncan, brand manager for Hilton's extended-stay brands.
http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...50P1HZ20090126

As I suspected. I didn't think this was a salvo against Element/Aloft.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JRock80

It puts out something new to combat the aloft and element brands from *W and it introduces a lower price point. Most Americans are scaling back and looking for cheap alternatives to the prices they normally pay.

I like the new concept. I think they may eventually phase the Hampton brand out as the name/ hotel does not really fit into the Hilton scheme of things.
The two bolded areas are in conflict with one another. Hampton is the value product tailor-made for these value-oriented times.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
reminds me of the struggling Choice brand "Cambria Suites".
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:10 pm

I did a double take when I read this sentence: "From the fresh market pantry and LaundryTowne to the studios and one bedroom suites designed with refreshingly distinctive living areas"

"LaundryTowne"! What a horrible sounding trademark.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the aspects that strike me as either odd or lower-end:

--Unlike Hyatt Place, there will be no partition between the bedroom area and the living area in the "studios," which are essentially rooms.

--The 42" flat panel is positioned for best viewing from the sofa. From the bed, it's going to be at at least a 30 degree angle. (HP places their TV midway between the two areas.)

--Looks like all the "studios" will go with shower only - no bathtubs. I've been looking to see when a brand would take the plunge and do this.

--Looks like they're going with an interior PTAC unit - hopefully of a newer, quieter kind than in current midrange properties. This does remove about 4 sf of space from around the window. In a "studio" that can make a difference.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:11 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
The logo looks so much like Aloft's it's quite incredible!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
It is amazing how they continue to ignore business travelers. Assuming I'm in town for a couple of weeks working on a project, I NEED A DESK THAT ACTUALLY IS A DESK! I don't understand how they think you can sell this to a business traveler thinking a desk can double as a kitchen table, storage area, and god knows what else. No way I commit to some hole-in-the-wall like this.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by JRock80

I like the concept. FRESH LOOK! Right concept for times of lower income, if the pricing strategy will be lower than tose of the competitors.

To be honest, I would prefer this brand instead of Hampton to come to Germany. Hampton does mean nothing on our market, but this new nice modern brand seems appealing in my eyes!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think we'll all start calling this new place, "HomeyTowne". Not to be confused with FunkyTowne, of course. You can lounge in LaundryTowne and watch your tighty whiteys spin in the dryer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.