Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace Versailles

A couple of weeks ago I stayed for 3 nights at this property. Well located on the edge of the Royal Domain of the Palace of Versailles at the end of a quiet, tree-flanked avenue, the grand old 1910 main building was an impressive sight as our hotel-booked Tesla pulled up outside the entrance. Incidentally, for EUR150, although the driver was friendly and professional, I would expect functioning climate control to avoid the windows having to be periodically lowered to clear the windscreen…

The hotel’s public areas are not expansive but are suitably elegant; the small circular lobby gives way to a long corridor off which are the reception, concierge, two Gordon Ramsay restaurants and the spa by Guerlain.

Check-in was quick despite a short initial wait, with the receptionist explaining the hotel layout before pointing us in the direction of our room in the newer Pavilion building just across the garden. It’s barely a minute’s walk, but in inclement weather, some form of cover other than the provided umbrellas would be welcome.

All of the property’s standard rooms are pretty similar in design; those in the Pavilion building tend to be larger but have lower ceilings than those in the main building. Our Pavilion Room with Garden View on the first floor was spacious, one notable oddity being the location of the refreshment centre in the far corner, housed in an equally odd cabinet with oversized door that wouldn’t stay open of its own accord and banged shut loudly (so loudly that I’m sure I could hear it shutting in other rooms too). The headboard and furniture surrounding it was also oddly off-centred.

There were a few maintenance issues such as the pendant lamp’s cover showing exposed wires, frayed wires to the floor lamp and worn out leather to the desk chair. Although the room was clean, a stray slipper under the chaise longue was unwelcome, and I had to request for the bathroom bin to be replaced as it smelt horrid.

The bathroom was as equally spacious as the room, although the shower was an over-bath affair. It was powerful but angled oddly and on one occasion somehow partially flooded the adjoining entrance area. Robes and slippers were provided, and amenities were by Salvatore Ferragamo. The mirror was not anti-steam.

The room offered a pleasant enough view of the hotel’s gardens and across to the main Palace building; aside from the few niggles outlined above, it was a comfortable base for our trip.

The aforementioned refreshment centre included two small bottles of Evian replaced daily and a Nespresso machine. The minibar held one of each item; a little stingy for a room clearly designed for two people.

I had to print some documents and was directed to a couple of desktop computers below the main staircase; I couldn’t get either to send anything to the printer successfully, but the concierge kindly printed the documents for me. In a gesture few hotels adopt, the reception didn’t charge for stamps to post a couple of items either; this was really welcome and was indicative of the overall helpful and professional service throughout the hotel.

The property features two Gordon Ramsay restaurants; the fine dining Michelin-starred Gordon Ramsay au Trianon, and the slightly less upmarket but still refined La Véranda by Gordon Ramsay. We ate dinner one evening at the latter, which was excellent. Breakfast is taken in the same restaurant and offers most items you would expect with the exception of Bircher muesli. In addition to the buffet (which one morning was placed in the corridor outside the restaurant), a live egg cooking station is available. Breakfast was included in our rate and (perhaps because of this) there was no ŕ la carte menu offered, which is perfectly fine when there’s a decent buffet.

When it came to check-out, reception was able to accommodate a 90-minute extension to the usual 12:00 deadline, only 30 minutes shorter than would’ve been ideal.

In summary, this is a solid property in a great location for exploring Versailles. The pace of life feels calm within its walls, and despite a few minor grumbles the property lives up to its reputation as one of the best ‘resort’ properties surrounding Paris.

Last edited by Genius1; Nov 9, 2018 at 7:01 am
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Genius1
It’s barely a minute’s walk, but in inclement weather, some form of cover other than the provided umbrellas would be welcome.
I believe there's a tunnel between the two buildings at basement level. A bit out of the way, but more protective than an umbrella during a downpour.

In a gesture few hotels adopt, the reception didn’t charge for stamps to post a couple of items either; this was really welcome and was indicative of the overall helpful and professional service throughout the hotel.
Agreed, service is top notch across the board, especially from concierge staff.

In summary, this is a solid property in a great location for exploring Versailles. The pace of life feels calm within its walls, and despite a few minor grumbles the property lives up to its reputation as one of the best ‘resort’ properties surrounding Paris.
Given the charming grounds, comfortable rooms, professional service, fine dining, and unique location, Trianon Palace is one of our favorites in the world, not just in France.
EqualOpp and Genius1 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Great review and pics Genius1, thanks.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
And many thanks for me too Genius1!

This is interesting for me as we're planing on staying there later next year.

Can I assume you booked this direct, not through FHR, or virtuoso, and have no Hilton status?
Genius1 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
Can I assume you booked this direct, not through FHR, or virtuoso, and have no Hilton status?
I don't have HH status any more; this was booked as a BA Holiday.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Platinum)
Just left a 3 night stay here in the Palace. i believe this is by far one of the more average WAs although Versailles was beautiful. I can report that unfortunately the breakfast still has not improved from previous reports spanning years. The offerings are good, just not always cooked correctly and you do not get the Waldorf service you expect. The juices however were fresh squeezed and delicious with no artificial junk. Overcooked bacon, near raw sausage. Inattentive service was disappointing.

If you don't have status it's almost certainly not worth the 28 or 38 euros they ask for it. I filled out a comment card on the table and gave it to the restaurant manager on the way out. He (or someone) had bypassed the Do Not Disturb sign on my door when I returned to my room that afternoon to leave a card with some small pastries. Okay...thanks, but I had several hundred euros laying out. Nothing was taken but the invasion of privacy was annoying. This happened again a few days later when the front desk left me a note on my bed....again ignoring the do not disturb card.

The breakfast staff made a scene of constantly asking me if I needed anything the day after my comment card but it was still not even Doubletree quality service IMO. However, they made an effort to "do [their] best" is what the waiter told me. Oddly enough, the last few days of my stay all of the comment cards were removed from the breakfast table which is one way to handle it,.

Finally, upon checkout I refused to pay for a 12.50 minibar item charged to my account as I settled my bill. The front desk lady began to get rude with me and so i simply told her to mail me a bill and got into my taxi. She had the audacity to follow me outside with another manager who tried to stop my taxi as i pulled away. They will almost certainly have to write off that charge now. As a result of that experience, Hilton agreed to send a BMG certificate, which I look forward to using at the WA//Cavalieri, perhaps when a new Pope or something is announced.

Last edited by GoodFastOrCheap; Feb 21, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:10 pm

I am booked for a Sunday night this March on a weekend award night. Has anyone tried to use their Hilton Aspire $250 resort credit with this property? Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GoodFastOrCheap
Finally, upon checkout I refused to pay for a 12.50 minibar item charged to my account as I settled my bill. The front desk lady began to get rude with me and so i simply told her to mail me a bill and got into my taxi. She had the audacity to follow me outside with another manager who tried to stop my taxi as i pulled away. They will almost certainly have to write off that charge now..
Perhaps there's something lost in the telling of a story, but this looks more like a potentially criminal act by you rather than something the hotel has to make up for?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Finally, upon checkout I refused to pay for a 12.50 minibar item charged to my account as I settled my bill. The front desk lady began to get rude with me and so i simply told her to mail me a bill and got into my taxi. She had the audacity to follow me outside with another manager who tried to stop my taxi as i pulled away. They will almost certainly have to write off that charge now. As a result of that experience, Hilton agreed to send a BMG certificate, which I look forward to using at the WA//Cavalieri, perhaps when a new Pope or something is announced.
Dont know why they simply didnt charge the CC they swiped when you got there or that was on file. If in fact you took the items from the mini bar then it seems youre proud to be a thief.

I too would be ticked if someone went into my room (unless it was an emergency) if I had a DND on my door, but that doesnt allow me to take whatever I wish to in return. Nor would I pull such a stunt if Im not in my home country ( or even in my home country) least I end up behind bars , or detained for hours till its all sorted out.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Perhaps there's something lost in the telling of a story, but this looks more like a potentially criminal act by you rather than something the hotel has to make up for?

Originally Posted by craz
Dont know why they simply didnt charge the CC they swiped when you got there or that was on file. If in fact you took the items from the mini bar then it seems youre proud to be a thief.

I too would be ticked if someone went into my room (unless it was an emergency) if I had a DND on my door, but that doesnt allow me to take whatever I wish to in return. Nor would I pull such a stunt if Im not in my home country ( or even in my home country) least I end up behind bars , or detained for hours till its all sorted out.
The story is rather boring. My French is not great, but the FD lady was insistent that I (not even someone else) must have consumed the item after I kept saying otherwise. This was not my idea of "True Waldorf Service." I decided to match her cold, very French temperament with my own young American arrogance. After paying over €1400, she insinuated that I should wait while she (or someone else) went to check the room over a €12.50 minibar item. I decided to rebuff this and flat out told her it was a tasteless suggestion. My counteroffer was to have her mail me a bill instead and we could discuss it after my flight. Perhaps this came off as a suggestion to her, but she said no. At that point, I started "reclaiming my time" and left. Her decision to follow me outside (the hotel does not have security) and try to convince the taxi driver (as if this would work) not to leave is why I had Hilton step in. After seeing my explanation and the hotel's rebuttal, they agreed to send me a BMG certificate. i will happily use it on a $3,000+ room and write the agent's name on it as a reminder to the hotel of why they are paying the bill.
Boraxo, EqualOpp and PbodyPhoto like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It just goes to show how luxury hotels have to offer service recovery sometimes even when the client is plainly in the wrong. Sadly, life is not fair. I only regret that this kind of behavior brings up the costs for everyone else until they go so far they're invited to experience competitor chains.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It just goes to show how luxury hotels have to offer service recovery sometimes even when the client is plainly in the wrong. Sadly, life is not fair. I only regret that this kind of behavior brings up the costs for everyone else until they go so far they're invited to experience competitor chains.
Everyone on FT has a different take on fairness, especially in the travel industry. I say it's unfair of the hotel to have wasted my time. Another person will say it was unfair of me not to wait longer or be more cooperative. I will still use the certificate though; as Leif Enger wrote: "fair is whatever God wants to do." This is just putting up with another a part of life.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Just left a 3 night stay here in the Palace. i believe this is by far one of the more average WAs although Versailles was beautiful. I can report that unfortunately the breakfast still has not improved from previous reports spanning years. The offerings are good, just not always cooked correctly and you do not get the Waldorf service you expect. The juices however were fresh squeezed and delicious with no artificial junk. Overcooked bacon, near raw sausage. Inattentive service was disappointing.

If you don't have status it's almost certainly not worth the 28 or 38 euros they ask for it. I filled out a comment card on the table and gave it to the restaurant manager on the way out. He (or someone) had bypassed the Do Not Disturb sign on my door when I returned to my room that afternoon to leave a card with some small pastries. Okay...thanks, but I had several hundred euros laying out. Nothing was taken but the invasion of privacy was annoying. This happened again a few days later when the front desk left me a note on my bed....again ignoring the do not disturb card.

The breakfast staff made a scene of constantly asking me if I needed anything the day after my comment card but it was still not even Doubletree quality service IMO. However, they made an effort to "do [their] best" is what the waiter told me. Oddly enough, the last few days of my stay all of the comment cards were removed from the breakfast table which is one way to handle it,.

I am a regular guest at Trianon Palace and once wrote even to the Hilton CEO that the hotel provides outstanding service.

The breakfast and breakfast service in this hotel is better than in best Parisian hotels (with more stars) such as Prince de Galles or Park Vendome and for less money, plus you are sitting in a super nice ambience.

The general service in this hotel has always been top, front desk, concierge, maids, restaurant, with less local attitudes than in some of the luxury Palace hotels in Paris, best international Hilton quality in the sense of Conrad Hilton´s philosophy "Be my Guest". If you want to name it Waldorf Service, name it Waldorf Service.

Finally let me say if you are not the owner of this hotel or someone important of Hilton corporation (she/he would never behave like that) or at least a French compatriot whom they might forgive, your behaviour was inacceptable. and I would not receive you as guest any more.

Last edited by submonte; Mar 7, 2019 at 10:13 am Reason: spelling, spelling
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by submonte
I am a regular guest at Trianon Palace and once wrote even to the Hilton CEO that the hotel provides outstanding service.
That's sad.

The breakfast and breakfast service in this hotel is better than in best Parisian hotels (with more stars) such as Prince de Galles or Park Vendome and for less money, plus you are sitting in a super nice ambience.
Not true. I haven't stayed at the Hyatt you mentioned, but Prince De Galles has better food than Trianon Palace. It's about 10 euros more expensive but the selection is better (with the exception of the juices) and the presentation is nicer and better organized. As for breakfast service, If you've truly stayed so many times you would know it's just tea/coffee service and a cook making the eggs. You seem infatuated with it but I am not the first in this thread to criticize its value.

Finally let me say if you are not the owner of this hotel or someone important of Hilton corporation (she/he would never behave like that) or at least a French compatriot whom they might forgive, your behaviour was inacceptable. and I would not receive you as guest any more.
That's your opinion. Much like your letter though, it's unlikely to ever make a difference. Enjoy your next stay (or shift?)!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by mal2ianne123
I am booked for a Sunday night this March on a weekend award night. Has anyone tried to use their Hilton Aspire $250 resort credit with this property? Thanks.
Hmm, probably too late to help but, yeah, the $250 resort credit works (has worked) fine here.
EqualOpp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.