Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {FRA} (France)

Old May 25, 2012, 12:15 pm
SST

Well, no love for this Diamond, again. This place is nowhere near fully-booked, as I just looked at Hilton's reservation website and not only is every category of room available, junior suites included, for purchase, but it just seems pretty vacant. However, at 8pm, the desk clerk wouldn't give us any sort of upgrade, period.

I am just finishing six Hilton properties in a row, 10 year Diamond Member, all across Scotland, England and now here in France, without so much as a view of a suite, all in hotels that looked like they were available. What on earth has happened?

This place seems nice, but the push to get me to book at Alain Ducasse before we had even discussed our room upgrade, nada, and the 11 Euro ride here from the train station (what??? less than 5 minutes!) are wholly disheartening.

I guess I'll ask the day manager tomorrow why we couldn't get any sort of upgrade, single, double, quadruple or whatever. I guess we'll walk into town for food---. Would love to have great things to say, as I've been looking forward to staying here for years, let's see if I post again.

Last edited by SST; May 25, 2012 at 12:20 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 1:01 am
SST

Well, a great hotel on the surface. In the end, it didn't meet our minimums.

Good: location, and the ability to walk among the trails of Versailles to the ends of the earth. We put in 10 mi. Versailles-town was a nice, easy walk and dinner was adequate there. Had the steak for two at Boeuf-a-la-mode, a nice bistro on the square.

Bad: No adequate Air Conditioning in our annex room. Really bad: never could get it below 24 degrees C. This is unacceptable in this class of hotel. Poor service in the bar: whether they were overwhelmed or not, it seemed that there were a lot of personnel, but no one had responsibility for topping up drinks, or bringing checks. No Diamond recognition whatsoever.

I should add that despite us asking at check-in, in the end the breakfast (59 euros for two) was NOT included, but because the young man at the counter was asked and assured us that it was, we were able to get this adjusted. I was pretty sure that the hostess at breakfast had a room list and our number was NOT highlighted in green, and this alarmed me so I checked carefully. Be very careful on this; there is NO WAY the buffet is worth what they are charging. Overcooked omelettes, good cheese selection on the buffet but no interesting charcuterie, the same Hilton spread on fruits. It was necessary to chase down staff in order to both order coffee, and/or get a refill. When we ate outside on a crowded morning, there was NO service to the outside area even though the whole dining area was full.

Last edited by SST; May 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm Reason: Addl information added
Old May 27, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just checked into the hotel as a diamond. Check-in staff told me upgrades are not available, since the hotel is fully booked (even though all room types are still offered as available on the website ) Check in took long, arrived at 14.00 and waited in line for 10-15 minutes. No room was available and had to wait until 15.00. Room (in pavilion building) is nice, but nothing special. Also strange, reception was not able to provide me with a parking pass for the garage under the pavilion building - I need to pay at a machine each time I take the car out of the garage. Only valet parking can be charged to room (not handy as the car is closer to my room than the valet).
Old May 29, 2012, 7:35 pm
SST

Stand by for an amazing ripoff when you go to leave this hotel. There are three train stations in Versailles. I came in to Versailles Rive Gauche, via the RER train from Paris left bank. There was a taxi waiting at the station, and we paid the ridiculous 11 Euro fare plus 3 Euro for luggage, to get the 5 minutes to the hotel, which is too far to walk.

So as a smart guy, I decided to leave from the Rive Droit station instead, it being only maybe 1/2 mile away. The trains from there go to Paris-St-Lazare, which was convenient for my next hotel. How to get a taxi from the Trianon Palace? You have to have the concierge call. SO, after standing in line, being informed I was fourth in the queue for a taxi, and then waiting nearly half an hour as others took off for their trains, I was the lucky winner of a taxi which arrived with 13 Euros already on the meter, and I was charged 16 plus the 3 euro luggage supplement, to go the 2 minutes' ride.

OMG. I understand that French taxis called usually charge to show up, but Twenty bucks for a two minute drive? The hotel has to do something about this-- it is a mechanized ripoff. The same taxi goes back and forth, the drivers decide who gets what fare, and they extract the maximum from the customers. Could the hotel provide a courtesy car? Oh, they do---- to Paris for 90 Euros. per their sheet. The train fare varies 3E40 or 4E depending on which train you take.

If you possibly can, arrive at the Rive Droit Station and plan to depart by foot from there, wheeled luggage walked about 800 steps back into town. It's quicker and you may avoid an even larger ripoff than I was subjected to: who knows? The concierge may call his brother in LaDefense as the next taxi, and who knows what the meter will read when YOU get in.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SST
No Diamond recognition whatsoever.
I stayed at Trianon Palace a few weeks ago. Travelling with three others, I had reserved two classic garden view rooms in the pavilion building, and both were upgraded to park view rooms in the main building. I also received complimentary Wi-Fi access (for an unlimited number of devices), one complimentary glass of beer/wine/champagne per guest, a choice of free in-room movie or 10% spa discount, chocolates and bottled water in each room, and 1,000 bonus points.

Originally Posted by SST
I should add that despite us asking at check-in, in the end the breakfast (59 euros for two) was NOT included, but because the young man at the counter was asked and assured us that it was, we were able to get this adjusted. I was pretty sure that the hostess at breakfast had a room list and our number was NOT highlighted in green, and this alarmed me so I checked carefully.
My check-in agent offered an unsolicited reminder that Waldorf-Astoria properties do not provide complimentary breakfast to HHonors Diamond Elites, so I imagine they're asked frequently. It's unfortunate that you were misled at check-in, but I would have double checked with the hostess since I know breakfast is not a stated benefit.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by SST
OMG. I understand that French taxis called usually charge to show up, but Twenty bucks for a two minute drive? The hotel has to do something about this-- it is a mechanized ripoff. The same taxi goes back and forth, the drivers decide who gets what fare, and they extract the maximum from the customers. Could the hotel provide a courtesy car? Oh, they do---- to Paris for 90 Euros. per their sheet. The train fare varies 3E40 or 4E depending on which train you take.

If you possibly can, arrive at the Rive Droit Station and plan to depart by foot from there, wheeled luggage walked about 800 steps back into town. It's quicker and you may avoid an even larger ripoff than I was subjected to: who knows? The concierge may call his brother in LaDefense as the next taxi, and who knows what the meter will read when YOU get in.
I'm not sure what the hotel can do about it, as it is the way things work in France that once your cab receives the call, you've hired it and the meter goes on.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taxis are a mafia in France! Fact!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 3:23 pm

Stayed here for a night. Disappointed. I used 50,000 HHonors points to book a standard room. At the completion of the reservation, I selected the eStandby upgrade to move from the Pavillion room to the main building rooms for the upgrade price of 39 EUR, which I had read on FlyerTalk were larger, which they are. The Pavillion is basically Holiday Inn Express quality. I thought it was worth paying 39 EUR to be guaranteed a larger room even though I am a Diamond.

At check-in, I was recognized as a Diamond and offered free Internet code and a coupon for two drinks. They had availability for an early checkin (1:00 PM vs. 3:00 PM). So far, so good. I then asked about my upgrade for 39 EUR and was told that it was not available for 39 EUR but would cost 100 EUR. I declined 100 EUR price. A few minutes later, I asked a second person in a different, fancier gray coat about the 39 EUR and even referenced eStandby particularly. She also declined and said she could not help me. At that point, I gave up and went to look at the Pavilion room.

When I got to the Pavilion room, I had free Internet so while I waited for my luggage, I had time to go back and read my email and see the eStandby email and ensure that I was not imagining things. The class of room was 39 EUR and was available. A Junior Suite was also available. My Diamond spidey-sense was annoyed that I was not offered the Suite and that they were trying to make me pay 100 EUR instead of 39 EUR. At that point, I was thinking that I might as well call and ask once more and on this call, the manager did allow me to move to the main historic building. So, while it was an annoying process, the right action did eventually happen. (I did not know it at the time, but they did not charge me anything for the upgrade at check-out.)

The upgraded room was not a suite but a largish size King Deluxe. It had a beautiful bathroom, one of the nicest non-suite bathrooms I've seen as far as being pretty. There was a nice view of some open space with sheep in the Versailles field.

If we had to stop the review at this point, I would say it was a win. I got there, got upgraded, had a nice bath, and it is super convenient to Versailles. The village of Versailles was fun to walk around, a nice contrast to the much more hustle and bustle experience of Paris. There is a two star Michelin restaurant on the property, but at 190 EUR per person for the prix fixe menu, we did not eat there.

HOWEVER, it became apparent to me that this property had a major issue. I want to be clear in my writing here because I don't want to be unfair to the property. I was traveling with my 5 year old daughter and she slept on an improvised bed that we made out of two purple chairs that appeared designed to be pushed together for this purpose. The maid was nice enough to give us a nice brown, wool blanket, which we made into a nest of sorts for our kid. The problem was that the next day she woke up bitten by something in multiple places. These bites look suspiciously like bed bug bites based on pictures I have seen on the Internet. Now, is this the hotel's fault? Does the hotel have an infestation? I think it may have. I wrote to them the next day to warn them to check the particular furniture and clean the blankets. None of the rest of us were bitten. I'm sure they're as careful as the next hotel and I doubt they did it intentionally for me being a pain about the upgrade. I wish we would have stayed in the Pavillion in retrospect, but that's life as a jet set traveler. By the time anyone reads this, it probably is not relevant because all hotels have issues with bed bugs that come and go from I read, but this is part of my experience at the fabled Waldorf Astoria. What can I do? It was already free on points and they gave me an upgrade. I feel I should be grateful on the one hand but am still annoyed on the other.

One thing I would say is that when I wrote to report the problem through their Web site, they did not acknowledge my email. That seems consistent with the customer experience I received - spotty. If they ever do acknowledge my email, I will update this post.

In conclusion, the Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace is a lovely hotel in a superb location. I was happy to use 50,000 points to stay there. I got a free upgrade after asking enough times. I would not say that the customer service or Diamond recognition was exemplary. I hope our experience with the bed bugs bites is atypical, as I am sure it must be at any high end hotel over time. Good luck!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
wwwebster0

Some clear words needed before my blood pressure exceeds 180. Mod forgive me please I just follow my doctors advice.

1) Nonsense. The Pavillon is not "Holiday Inn Express quality". I staid there twice. Rooms are very small but very nice. Impression much better than classical Hilton room standard. Ever been to a HIX?

2) Kokolores. The hotel bed bug fear obsession is arriving in Europe now? Thats just what we need! In all my live I have never seen one nor have been bitten by one in any hotel even not in basic ones like Etap or IBIS, not to mention 4* or 5* Hilton hotels. Children sometimes get fleas from dogs or cats and are bitten by those. Mosquitos are everywhere around in these days in Central Europe on the country side.

Last edited by submonte; Oct 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:00 am

Update. Veronique from Waldorf Astoria Trianon palace wrote back to me today apologizing for the inconvenience. I appreciate that someone took the time to do so. She apparently even found the thread in FlyerTalk on her own. The problem with the eStandby upgrades is that they don't see those upgrades very often and so the front desk people were not up to speed on those prices.

It took a few days but my daughter's bites healed up and the only harm done was a few days of itchiness. Despite the unnecessarily adamant comments from the poster above, I believe this was due to the hotel, probably in the wool blanket they gave us and not on purpose. We don't have a dog/cat and no one else besides the one daughter had the problem. I don't stay in hotels in Europe very often, but I am confident that bed bugs do exist. It's up to others whether they believe or not; it doesn't matter to me.

Regarding the Pavilion vs. the main building, the other poster can say what he wants about it, but the Pavilion room I was given was not impressive. "Holiday Inn Express" quality is not saying that the room is bad, just that it's just very "standard" and not 5* Waldorf Astoria. I have stayed in plenty of Holiday Inn's and don't consider myself above them, but Waldorf Astoria is supposed to be multiple steps up. I imagine that most people on this forum would not be thrilled to spend $400/night for this room.

Anyway, wanted to close out the case, so to speak. The Trianon management did eventually acknowledge my complaint and apologized, and that's all I wanted really. Good luck to everyone and enjoy Versailles.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
I agree that $400 would be much too much for a pavillon room. I paid 169 last time I staid in the Pavillon building when the hotel still was a Westin, this price was ok for that room, more is not ok. The Palace building deluxe rooms are significantly larger with chimney, high ceilings and a big and comfortable bathroom. As Diamond you should have been complimentary upgraded to a Palace room, even on a reward stay!

The brasserie La Veranda is a good alternative to the 2* gourmet restaurant and less expensive, food from the same kitchen! Beverages of course same prices.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, aa newbie
Waldorf Versaillles... too far?

I am considering using some of my points to stay in Paris for 4 days mid March. I noticed that one of Hilton's downtown properties has been removed and now am considering the Waldorf Versailles. Just a couple ?'s thx to any replies!
Is the Hotel worth the pts?
How difficult is the travel from Paris day and night hrs?
Is the Gordon Ramsay rest a Kitchen Nightmare or Price Nightmare
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
IMHO, you would only want to stay one or at the most two nights in Versailles. You need to take the RER to get from Paris to Versailles. Versailles is too easy to see in one day to spend the night there (trains to Versailles are not every 3 or 4 minutes like the metro). If you must use HHonors points, I would stay at any of the central Paris Hilton hotels and just take the metro to the major sites. That way you can spend time seeing the Paris sites rather than seeing the RER.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:28 pm

Perfect, Thx! Yes I love Paris, don't want to spend all of my time and $ in transit.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:29 pm

The only reason for the 4 consecutive night is that it takes less points after 3 consecutive nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.