FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Doubletree Beijing {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by moondog
The airport Hilton is very nice, but is often the most expensive Hilton property in Beijing (I..e. Even more than the Conrad). The Beijing Hilton is actually fairly close to the airport, and has the benefit of not being at the airport itself (I.e. more to do).
I agree, but haven't stayed there myself and it looks a bit dated from the outside, can anyone elaborate on the condition of this hotel? (Hopefully better than the Great Wall Sheraton?)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
The airport Hilton is very nice, but is often the most expensive Hilton property in Beijing (I..e. Even more than the Conrad). The Beijing Hilton is actually fairly close to the airport, and has the benefit of not being at the airport itself (I.e. more to do).
Originally Posted by Pimevai
I agree, but haven't stayed there myself and it looks a bit dated from the outside, can anyone elaborate on the condition of this hotel? (Hopefully better than the Great Wall Sheraton?)
The Hilton Beijing has a separate Executive Tower on the side. The whole ground floor seems to be the Executive Lounge. We chose it over the Capital Airport Hilton precisely on the reason moondog cited. Were upgraded to the Executive Tower despite booking a standard award room. I think there is a walk in closet in our room, modern and spacious.

The subway station is within walking distance - it is the last stop leaving the city onto the Airport so the cars could be crowded as many would have boarded the cars on previous stop.

With the traffic in Beijing, unless you are burdened with loads of luggage, subway often is much faster than taxi or private transfer.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The Hilton Beijing has a separate Executive Tower on the side. The whole ground floor seems to be the Executive Lounge. We chose it over the Capital Airport Hilton precisely on the reason moondog cited. Were upgraded to the Executive Tower despite booking a standard award room. I think there is a walk in closet in our room, modern and spacious.

The subway station is within walking distance - it is the last stop leaving the city onto the Airport so the cars could be crowded as many would have boarded the cars on previous stop.

With the traffic in Beijing, unless you are burdened with loads of luggage, subway often is much faster than taxi or private transfer.
This is making me want to try out the Hilton Beijing now, you can get a good prepaid rate there when there are sales.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:34 am

Hotel is solid for a DoubleTree - staff has been friendly and accommodating to a fault. New metro stop is extremely close by, but not yet recognized by google maps so be aware. Restaurant and lounge food are decent and the exec lounge happy hour both well stocked and well attended ^
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by mster
Hotel is solid for a DoubleTree - staff has been friendly and accommodating to a fault. New metro stop is extremely close by, but not yet recognized by google maps so be aware. Restaurant and lounge food are decent and the exec lounge happy hour both well stocked and well attended ^
I'm actually staying here right now, and I'm happy to say that it seems that the AC issue has been resolved. I was originally booked into a 'normal' upgraded room on the 15th floor and then upgraded again a few hours later into a suite on the 11th floor (HHonors floor). Both rooms have had functioning and sufficient AC as opposed to all my previous stays. This has resolved my biggest issue with this hotel. Also Uber has been incredibly convenient in this area, and 'People's Uber' (cheaper than UberX) is incredibly cheap, sample fare was from Sanlitun to the Doubletree, cost me 42 RMB around 11:30 PM, for a 22km ride with surge pricing in force.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Agree with last 2 posts.

Completed a 3 night stay this month.

Superb staff, superb room, superb Diamond recognition, and was totally happy with the AC, (it was a heatwave in PEK during my stay) as some older comments above in this thread had bothered me greatly.

Easy to get everywhere we needed by cabs, which are dirt cheap IMHO.

Better than most Doubletrees in the USA even, in my view.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this property a couple of years ago. At night a sign was placed in the lobby stating that foreigners had to register at the front desk if they going out of the hotel after a specific time.(Maybe 9PM) Is this still the case? On the return portion of that trip I stayed 1 night at the Wangfujing Hilton and didn't see a sign like that.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I stayed at this property a couple of years ago. At night a sign was placed in the lobby stating that foreigners had to register at the front desk if they going out of the hotel after a specific time.(Maybe 9PM) Is this still the case? On the return portion of that trip I stayed 1 night at the Wangfujing Hilton and didn't see a sign like that.
I didn't see that the last few times I've stayed here.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I stayed at the hotel in August, and there was no such sign at all. In fact, never seen such sign at any hotel in China (since 2005, at least) - MAYBE there was a special event (parade?) preparing nearby, and they were afraid of something. The hotel is fairly near the (political) center of Beijing - could only think of that being any reason..

The neighbourhood around the hotel is just fine. If you don't follow the main road the hotel is located at, it's mostly just normal flats with shops and restaurants at ground level. Had some great spicy noodle pot nearby for something like 20 RMB

My feeling is that you misread the shield (or it was translated badly) and meant that if you actually take anyone UP to your room after 9pm, they need to be registered. That is kinda standard policy (albeit rarely enforced..) in Chinese hotels.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Are there any more recent stays or other info for this property?

It sounds like there's a new subway line that is just a few blocks away, which should definitely be a plus.

How convenient would this location be for visiting the major tourist sites?

Looking to do a mileage run/short vacation to Beijing and this property has some very attractive rates.
Would also appreciate any other helpful info.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

Just returned from Beijing after staying at the Doubletree. We used a tour company, so can't give any info regarding subway. The location, if you are trying to get anywhere by car (including from the airport), is not great.
We also stayed at Conrad Hong Kong, Conrad Macao, WA Shanghai, Conrad Tokyo and Hilton Osaka on the trip and Doubletree definitely provided the poorest treatment for diamond. No upgrade, only allowed the required number of people for the executive lounge (there was six of us in three rooms with two diamonds, they wanted to charge us if the last two wanted access).
The rooms are pretty basic. In fact the hotel provided by AA when our flight was cancelled was better.
Nonetheless, it was very good value for the 10,000 points per night/per room we spent. It was clean, breakfast can be taken in the restaurant or lounge and the spread in the restaurant is extensive, if not the best quality (better than Hilton Osaka, but worse than all of the others). If I was staying by myself, without my family and I did not need to get anywhere in a hurry, I would probably stay there again, based on the excellent value for points. If it was my wife and I, I would definitely spring for something better.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:02 am

I stayed there last year, the subway was already fully operational. Very convenient to get from/to the major tourist attractions (mind you, Beijing is a big city) - yes indeed, not very "car friendly", but Taxis do know the property from what we learned, so it's not "unknown".

The surroundings are also good: Lot's of small to medium sized restaurants at local prices, but tourist friendly enough (ie, you'll still get a good local feeling but not feel total alien)

The room itself is also perfectly adequate. We're not talking "top 5* hotel here". It's a DoubleTree, after all.

Elite status is honoured, but you don't get more benefits than what you are due.

Breakfast is top-notch for a DoubleTree (ie, very good, but not excellent) - even when compared to the high standard of Hotels of the Hilton Group in China.

A very good bargain, if you ask me.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:09 am

Hey guys,

How generous is this property with suite upgrades?

Breakfast Included for Diamonds?

Checking in 25th Dec 2016 if that helps. Conscious that it might be peak season? Not sure if applicable in China

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:21 am

We received no upgrade at all, never mind a suite.
Breakfast can be taken in the lounge or the main floor restaurant. We never went in the lounge; the restaurant buffet is extensive. We found it to be okay in quality, although they did run out of some things very quickly. I think the big issue was some members of the tour groups would immediately take massive amounts of certain items and leave none for anyone that wasn't there immediately when it was brought out.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:09 am

While this property is already a bargain at 10k points.

Do they ever open up any cash and points inventory? I couldn't locate any

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.