FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Doubletree Beijing {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
Originally Posted by Richard1148
How close is it actually to the hotel? I've seen posts by the hotel manager on TripAdvisor mentioning that metro line 7 will be right across from the hotel. I was wondering if it will be possible to get there on the metro from the airport.
Directly across the street, probably 100-200m walk.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just curious. Anyone know why this hotel is cat 2 on the hhonors scale? Other Hilton's in beijing are at least category 5. Situated between the 2nd and 3rd ring roads, it does not seem that inconvenient even before the introduction of subways.

Thanks!

Jack
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bodoing
Just curious. Anyone know why this hotel is cat 2 on the hhonors scale? Other Hilton's in beijing are at least category 5. Situated between the 2nd and 3rd ring roads, it does not seem that inconvenient even before the introduction of subways.

Thanks!

Jack
It's not close to anywhere most people (business or tourism) want to be.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bodoing

Thanks!

Jack
The rooms are pretty small, ventilation and AC/heating isn't very good (too hot in Summer and Winter, with no way to control it other than turning the AC off).

Also no bathtub, and the shower feels like a typical middle class Chinese apartment shower, as opposed to the rainforest/full body showers in the higher category Hilton's in Beijing.

The location also is not very desirable if your in Beijing as a tourist or on business since it's not "in" either of those hotspots. It isn't far from the financial district or the Forbidden City but it's not walking distance to them either (10 minutes by car with no traffic, which in Beijing means a half hour due to traffic).

All that said, it's still great value, and I sure hope it stays Cat 2 especially with the new subway stop open. If this went up even one category, I would not even consider it as the points value would be degraded while at the same time for just a little extra money you could stay in nicer, more central properties.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Pimevai
The rooms are pretty small, ventilation and AC/heating isn't very good (too hot in Summer and Winter, with no way to control it other than turning the AC off).

Also no bathtub, and the shower feels like a typical middle class Chinese apartment shower, as opposed to the rainforest/full body showers in the higher category Hilton's in Beijing.

The location also is not very desirable if your in Beijing as a tourist or on business since it's not "in" either of those hotspots. It isn't far from the financial district or the Forbidden City but it's not walking distance to them either (10 minutes by car with no traffic, which in Beijing means a half hour due to traffic).

All that said, it's still great value, and I sure hope it stays Cat 2 especially with the new subway stop open. If this went up even one category, I would not even consider it as the points value would be degraded while at the same time for just a little extra money you could stay in nicer, more central properties.
Thank you, makes alot more sense now!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Had a recent Reward Stay here - personally found it great value, particularly with the new subway station on Line 7 that's less than 5 mins walk away. As a first time Beijing visitor I used the subway to visit the main tourist sites - line changes were required but found it very easy to navigate.

Upgraded to an Exec Room and aside from the normal Diamond Benefits, the Welcome Letter included free 1 hour use of Small Banquet Room and 50RMB laundry allowance.

Had option for Restaurant breakfast, but found the lounge breakfast very good - the evening offerings (17.30-19.30) were also plentiful and more than enough to make a good meal.

Took the subway back to the airport - it took 80mins door-to-door. It currently requires 3 changes, but looks as those that would reduce to 2 once the interchange between Line 7 & 10 at Shuangjing is open
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Does anybody know what time they start serving breakfast in the morning, either in the restaurant or lounge? I want to figure out how early I can schedule a tour pick up. I was going to email the hotel, but I was unable to find an email address on the website.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Does anybody know what time they start serving breakfast in the morning, either in the restaurant or lounge? I want to figure out how early I can schedule a tour pick up. I was going to email the hotel, but I was unable to find an email address on the website.
I remember it being 6AM for lounge and restaurant
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Pimevai
I remember it being 6AM for lounge and restaurant
Great. Thank you very much.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Need to book 3 or 4 nights in Beijing early July on route to Mongolia. I assume that flies from Capital airport.

They seem then to be about 1000 Yuan a night cheapest for DT and Hilton Beijing with tax added.

Both about same price, so which is better option for a Diamond in the view of those here, booking the most basic room type? (Altho it seems point cost for DT is really low for some reason?)

We arrive into PEK about 10am so I am guessing a cab is $25 or so if that has dodged rush hour???

Seems from posts above this DT has a fairly decent lounge?

We are just doing a few touristy type things, so being close to business area etc is not relevant for us.

I am a HH Diamond and even in China hope that gets some kind of bump in room.

Flight to Ulaan Bator leaves 8.35am so would not be happy with a long commute from downtown. Any guesses roughly what time frame that would be by cab from DT?

So might make the final night there near airport if cabs take forever.

But Capital Hilton is about 1500Y with tax even at AARP/AAA rate.

Flight is Biz class, so no real need for Hotel breakfast, and really can't see 1500 value at that Hilton? Unless anyone knows of bucket shop type rate deals?!

Thanks in advance for any input folks.

Glen
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps

Flight to Ulaan Bator leaves 8.35am so would not be happy with a long commute from downtown. Any guesses roughly what time frame that would be by cab from DT?

I haven't stayed at the either of the Hilton's in the city but I have stayed many times at the DT as well as the Airport Hilton. Last time I was flying out of PEK at 10-11AM (BA38 can't remember the winter timing) to LHR and left the hotel at 6AM by private car and arrived at PEK at 8AM, so for your flight I suggest maybe a little earlier even (this was in December, 2014).

The airport Hilton though is incredibly convenient and they do have a decent lounge and a generous upgrade policy. They have a shuttle that takes about 5 minutes door-to-door to get you to T3 and a few more minutes to T1 and T2. Also the service is amazing, everyone was very warm and "happy".

If your paying cash I wouldn't suggest the DT, the only reason I stay there is because I have family in the West of Beijing as well as the great points value (40k for 5 nights). DT gets very hot in the Summer, and their in-room AC cannot be controlled individually (gets very hot in the Winter as well actually), I would have to leave my door to the hall open otherwise the rooms are unbearably hot (I've stayed in larger and smaller rooms, on multiple floors, all have the same problem).

If the price is the same and you'd rather stay in the city I would try one of the two Hilton's, I've seen the Wangfujing Hilton go for around 1,100 a night and have read great things about it both in terms of upgrade policy and general service/amenities, the location is also ideal if its your first time in the Jing.

Either way, hope this helped and good luck!

P.S. If your not dead-set on Hiltons, the JW Marriott Beijing Central I found to be great, it is near a mall if you need to buy daily stuff and very close to a Subway station on one of the main lines. The price is normally around 1,100-1,500 tax in though, so it isn't the most budget friendly choice. The hotel is quite good and the service is very efficient (if not always the warmest). I used to live one block away from this hotel for 2 years and it is within reasonable walking distance to Xi'dan, then onto Tiananmen, and then to the Forbidden City so its great for touristy stuff (I actually lost 50lbs when I lived there from all the walking). I preferred this over the Wangfujing Hilton which is roughly the same price, because it is not smack in the center of Wangfujing, it makes getting a taxi a bit easier, and also gives you more route options to avoid traffic (this was the only reason at the time why I chose to stay here over the Hilton since I'm only Silver with Marriott and wouldn't get as many benefits as I would with Hilton).

Last edited by Pimevai; Jun 10, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Pimevai - thanks for the wonderful detailed rundown! Been travelling sorry for delay responding.

Your story of 2 hours in car from downtown to airport swung the deal -- Airport Hilton it is, for the last night! One flight a day to Mongolia, and cannot afford to miss that one.

Annoying to read of the high setting of AC at DT .. weird there is no personal setting and wife hates hot rooms - why on earth have AC set on HOT in Summer??! So none of the rooms have balconies where doors can be open .. can imagine I'd feel safe leaving room door open .. and surely corridors will be same temp anyway?!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:33 am

Need to book 3 or 4 nights in Beijing early July on route to Mongolia. I assume that flies from Capital airport.

They seem then to be about 1000 Yuan a night cheapest for DT and Hilton Beijing with tax added.

Both about same price, so which is better option for a Diamond in the view of those here, booking the most basic room type? (Altho it seems point cost for DT is really low for some reason?)

We arrive into PEK about 10am so I am guessing a cab is $25 or so if that has dodged rush hour???

We are just doing a few touristy type things, so being close to business area etc is not relevant for us.

I am a HH Diamond and even in China hope that gets some kind of bump in room.

But Capital Hilton is about 1500Y with tax even at AARP/AAA rate.

Flight is Biz class, so no real need for Hotel breakfast, and really can't see 1500 value at that Hilton? Unless anyone knows of bucket shop type rate deals?!

Thanks in advance for any input folks.

Glen
Hi Glen, nice to see you again.

I have been to China numerous times and I have stayed at both properties. If the price is the same I would Always choose Hilton Beijing between those two, much better hotel and much better lounge. Hilton Beijing is Walking distance to the subway which gets you all over Beijing fastear then by car.

Doubletree can be had for 10.000pts as well if you choose that option.

If you choose DT Beijing PM for emailadress to the GM If you like.

Last time in China I had an early Swiss flight around 9amish and I stayed at Doubletree Beijing and took an early taxi, not much traffic at that hour that time.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:01 am

Pimevai - thanks for the wonderful detailed rundown! Been travelling sorry for delay responding.

Your story of 2 hours in car from downtown to airport swung the deal -- Airport Hilton it is, for the last night! One flight a day to Mongolia, and cannot afford to miss that one.

Annoying to read of the high setting of AC at DT .. weird there is no personal setting and wife hates hot rooms - why on earth have AC set on HOT in Summer??! So none of the rooms have balconies where doors can be open .. can imagine I'd feel safe leaving room door open .. and surely corridors will be same temp anyway?!
I think the Airport for the last night, especially if there's only one flight is the best choice. The AC problem confounds me as well, overall I think the DT is fine, and the value is great but the heat is something to contend with unless they fixed it in the last six months. I've never thought about asking for a balcony room though, because it's normally hotter outside than in, and the air in Beijing isn't famously fresh so I prefer my filtered indoor air even it is hotter. Also the AC's aren't set on HOT but just normal temperatures 20-24C, the issue is the huge windows in the rooms bring in a lot of heat throughout the day and the AC can't be lowered to contend with it, the only thing you can do to adjust it is increase fan speed, but the increase is hardly noticeable. I'm the kind of guy who sets all ACs to their lowest temperature setting and I find it too hot to sleep sometimes in the DT, but my wife is fine with it so I end up "chilling" in the lounge when it gets too hot.

As for traffic patterns, in Beijing you can usually count on it being bad, and as such I would suggest you plan for the worst. Occasionally I have made it from DT's distance to the airport in about 30 minutes, but those are the lucky days which are story-worthy when chatting with cabbies.

Last edited by Pimevai; Jun 23, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wink

The airport Hilton is very nice, but is often the most expensive Hilton property in Beijing (I..e. Even more than the Conrad). The Beijing Hilton is actually fairly close to the airport, and has the benefit of not being at the airport itself (I.e. more to do).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.