Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Casa Marina Key West, Curio Collection by Hilton (was WA) {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Casa Marina Key West, Curio Collection by Hilton (was WA) {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Stayed at the Casa Marina. Would not go back. Shortcomings of the rooms is well documented. Service was spotty, food was average. Pool staff responds well with even a small gratuity. I reject out of hand the comments that this is Key West and that this is as good as five star gets.

Was there with another couple. My son called in from home and spoke to the concierge to buy us 4 tickets to a sundown cruise. They charged him for the four tickets twice. When he called to complain, they charged him for another 4 tickets. Finally sorted it out. On check-out, they then charged our friends for the 4 tickets. Then they tried to charge us on check-out. If I didn't have a thing the next day, I would have stayed a few extra days, and had a chit chat with the State's Attorney office. I would stay away. There are alternatives to this place.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
We had a two night stay earlier this month. Upgraded to an Oceanfront room with balcony. They sent up a basket of key lime treats because it was our anniversary.

Room was fine, the only thing we ate at the hotel was the chicken naan for lunch at the pool which was very good. Street parking was easy.

Dinner around the corner at Salute! was excellent.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Great Trip

I read some of these prior posts with great trepidation but decided to book a five night points stay at Casa Marina anyway.

Short Review: It was a great trip and as nice a beach resort stay as I've had at other places, including the Ritz Half Moon Bay, Ritz Palm Beach (before it became Eau Palm), Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe, etc.

Longer Notes:
a) Room was great. None of the maintenance problems other people have mentioned.
b) Housekeeping was on the late side of my preference. We declined housekeeping one day because they didn't show up until 5 PM and we were already back in the room.
c) Diamond breakfast credit is $15 for diamond and one guest, so $30 total. You could use it at the coffee shop (Flagler's Cafe) or at the restaurant (Flagler's Terrace). Two coffees and two breakfast sandwiches at the Cafe was around $30, so we just did that. Full breakfast at the restaurant looked like it would run around $30pp.
d) Beach and Poolside drink and food service was very good. Service runs from about 11 AM to 4:30 which is last call for beach/pool. Maybe you could get drink service poolside after that from one of the bars but we usually headed inside for showers and then to Duval Street for the evening.
e) It's definitely a walk to Duval Street - about 15 minutes to the intersection of Truman and Duval. The Reach is about 7 minutes closer.
f) Gym and spa are in a separate building across the Seminole St. from hotel.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
Just back from a 6 night stay at Casa Marina. Two separate reservations on points in my name (made one for 5 nights then added a one-night ressy weeks later).

At check in we were told there were no rooms available for upgrading (I'm HH Gold). We overheard the couple at the next desk being offered a paid upgrade and were debating the cost. Oh well, view of the parking lot for us...

Got to the room. Had a 2nd floor view of the parking lot. The air conditioning barely worked. It wasn't that hot out but the room was very stuffy and the AC was not going to keep up. Went back to the front desk and asked for a different room. Got the keys, went up, and entered the room. It was occupied and there was somebody's stuff everywhere. Quickly left and returned to the front desk. They laughed it off explaining that the gal that gave us the keys 'is new'.

On to the third room. One floor up from the previous rooms with a view of the parking lot (maybe this is the 'Deluxe Parking Lot View' room category? ). This room was OK.

Like the previous poster we were given chits for $15 per person per day at the coffee shop near the lobby or to use as a credit toward the full buffet breakfast. The full buffet is $29. There were no other options or possible uses for the chits according to what was printed on them and they were each dated for use on a particular day of the stay. The coffee shop had tea, coffees, pastries, bagels, snack items, and occasionally a hot item like a small quiche or egg sandwich. They seemed to run out of the hot items by about 10:00 each day (the coffee shop closes for the day at 11:00 a.m.).

The whole place is a bit worn around the edges and could use a refresh. I know that Key West isn't great for beaches, but this is kinda like the best of a bad thing. The water entrance across most of the beach is rocky, and the water is very cloudy. Over 6 days we only saw 2 people go into the water and they didn't go far. Service by the pools and beach was generally good, though we did have to go to the bar for drinks one afternoon when the wait staff pretty much disappeared or ignored us for 45 minutes.

To top it off, we were promised at check in (for the third room) that our keys were programmed to work for the entire stay. Instead they stopped working when our first reservation ended and we were temporarily locked out of our room. A minor inconvenience, but annoying when you've been told otherwise.

I agree with others that this place does not rate the WA name.

Last edited by StarlightSusan; Apr 1, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I stayed here over the St Patrick's weekend (rm 187). This is a decent Hilton beach resort w/ Shanghai Tang amenities. A luxury experience, it is not. Were I not on points, I would have felt ripped off on the al-in cash rate of $690/nt for my parking lot room.

Check-in: Being offered an upgrade for $100 before being told that there are no diamond ugrades is a slap in the face. My check-in and parking took 25 minutes, or 23 more than it should have, due to crappy IT and my parking key not working at the self-parking (I swiped correctly). Being spoken to like a clueless three year old "Your room key won't work until we open the room" after I said "My key needs to be recoded. I can't get into the parking lot." is really not cool.

Room (187) : Comfortable room, happy with the espresso machine. Bathroom was decidedly Doubletree quality. At this brand/price point, there should be rainfall shower heads and some effort to make the bathtub better than what I'd find in a student-grade apartment here in Gainesville. Major flaw: my room was down the hall from the bathrooms used by pool guests as well as any function attendees in the adjacent ballroom. Hearing the hand dryers and creaky doors at midnight was not cool.

Directions to the gym in the room's book would have been nice. I opted to go for a run instead.

I did really like the breakfast, even though I needed to chuck in another $20. The adult pool was a godsend. I always worry (irrationally?) about hygiene when children 0-3 are involved.

Overall, OK due to redeeming points. However, the Conrad Miami (middling for US Conrads, if I understand) kicked the crap out of the Waldorf in terms of Diamond service, breakfast quality, room furnishing, and so on.

Note: I have a more complete review with photos and a room video on my site.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Amelorn
This is a decent Hilton beach resort w/ Shanghai Tang amenities.
Interesting. The amenities were Ferragamo the week of March 25 which I though was standard for WA.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Yuengling
Interesting. The amenities were Ferragamo the week of March 25 which I though was standard for WA.
My apologies! You're right. The S.T. stuff was at the Conrad Miami, where I stayed the night of 3/16!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

Just spent five nights here as a real Diamond, having not stayed at this property since it was a Marriott. Two nights were on points, and three nights were paid.

The difficulty with this property is the branding. When I think Waldorf Astoria, I think St. Regis and Park Hyatt. In Hilton's zeal to grow the WA brand, they left this hotel and the Reach into the mix. This has definitely created false expectations. The resort would better be served as a Curio collection or simply a Hilton hotel, IMO.

Here are some notes on our stay:

1. Upgraded from a standard room to a parking lot historic building room, which we appreciated, as we love historic hotels.
2. The rooms and furniture are showing some wear and tear, but were tastefully furnished.
3. Provided $15 breakfast vouchers that could either be used in the coffee shop or main dining room (which was located in a ballroom due to renovations). We opted for the full breakfast buffet at $29 per person each day. It was well worth the $14 per person per day. Yes, free would be better, but not a big deal.
4. Mixed drinks on the beach/by the pool ranged from $11-14. Could be worse. They do come around with complementary frozen washcloths and push pops at least once an afternoon.
5. Housekeeping was inconsistent at best--coming at 8:00AM one morning, and not until 5:00PM on another day.
6. Normal checkout was 11:00, but they graciously afforded us a late check out at noon. Wow! How generous!
7. Yes, the guestroom bathrooms are tiny, and that's an understatement. Two people cannot fit in the bathroom at the same time, unless one is in the shower. The bathrooms would be better served with a pocket door versus the two swinging doors.
8. We rented bicycles on the property a couple of times ($15 per day, or multi-day rentals at $10 per day). The bikes were great when we visited the Hemingway House, Little White House, and went on various water excursions, as parking the rental car was not very easy.
9. They have a descent beach by Key West standards, which is actually pretty bad. While we did go into the ocean to swim/snorkel, you absolutely must wear water shoes. There is quite a bit of rock, coral, sea grass, etc. The pier is blocked off due to damage from the last storm. Not sure why it isn't being repaired. There is a little bit of seaweed washing up on shore, but we've seen worse. In fact, we stopped at the Reach for Dinner one evening, and their beach is an absolute mess. Piles of seaweed that makes ocean access disgusting. They do not seem to rake/remove the seaweed at all, unlike resorts in the Caribbean/Mexico.
10. The overall grounds are lovely, but we saw quite a bit of deferred maintenance (banged walls, dented wood panels, dings in the elevator trim, missing signage, our desk lamp never worked during our stay, and so on.)
11. I'm not sure how to even begin to describe service. There is absolutely no consistency.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay, but as indicated, this property just doesn’t fit the WA brand. We won’t be rushing back to this resort, but it has less to do with the property than it does with Key West. If we are going to travel the distance, traveling a little farther places us in the the Caribbean.

That's about all I know. If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to assist.

Last edited by TTT103; Aug 14, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Called the Casa Marina the day before our three night stay (our sixth consecutive year of staying there) because our assigned room using Amex weekend nights was for a wheelchair accessible room which was not necessary. At OLCI these rooms were all that were being offered so we inquired about a possible upgrade. Was told that a suite was coming available the next day and to check in early and they would upgrade us as long as it was still available. So we checked out of the Doubletree where we spent our first five nights at 9:00 AM and drove over only to be told there were no upgrades available. Wound up with a first floor street facing wheelchair accessible room.

Disappointed but upgrades aren't guaranteed until they called and offered to upgrade us to the suite...for $60 per night. Classy way to treat a regular guest.

My wife went to the front desk to pick up a package we had delivered to the hotel and was told we absolutely should have been upgraded however the hotel was now sold out. They did give us a $50 F&B credit.

We get much better treatment at the DT, the Casa could learn from them.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Convoluted Diamond breakfast benefit - W/A Casa Marina, Key West, Florida

Intended to PM this to HonorsRepresentative but could not figure out how to insert the following image in the message.

At check-in, we were discretely handed an envelope with 4 of the coupons below. I find that front desk staff can be reluctant to elaborate on elite benefits, perhaps to avoid demands for similar benefits from other guests, considered the terms self-explanatory.

The bottom of the certificate clearly states 2 complementary continental breakfasts, coupons should be presented to the server. Based on our plans, we ended up using the "Grab And Go" option the first 2 days, looked forward to the continental buffet the second 2 days of our stay. I showed the vouchers to the buffet hostess, we were seated inside, only to be told by the server that there was in fact no continental option, we would have to pay an additional $30 for the "Grand Buffet"; only other option was the "Grab and Go", insincerely apologized for the "confusion". I asked for clarification, could not get a straight answer, but like most everything else at the WA properties in KW, the room was understaffed, I did not consider it appropriate to make a scene, simply paid the bill - which was also quite convoluted, with a service, larger credit for coupon, no explanation.

We decided on the "Grab and Go" for the last day as well.

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Based on the voucher it is either

15 dollar at Flagler’s Grab and go
or
15 dollar credit towards the grand buffet

But then below there is a mention of a continental breakfast which they don’t seem to have.

Looks like a property that doesn’t like the new Honors benefit and does try to get around it. The benefit was clear, Diamond breakfast for 2. And lucky that so far I have not been in a property that does not serve the standard breakfast buffet.

Globalist
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I had a great stay here last week and had no complaints, but I agree with the others, that labeling this property and the sister property next door as Waldorfs is a reach (no pun intended), and runs the risk of creating false expectations. Curio or Doubletree would be more fitting. The room was totally fine, but nothing luxurious. The closest thing to luxury here is the Ferragamo amenities in the bathroom. Also, there was some chipped paint in some places in the bathroom, but nothing that would take away from the cleanliness of the room. For the life of me I can't imagine how this place could go for $400/night, but fortunately I used points. The pool/beach staff were great and it was cool watching the roosters and iguanas running around. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a suite with a view of the tennis court, and was granted a noon checkout. The breakfast buffet was good (my favorites were the french toast and omelettes), and although the $15 upcharge for it isn't ideal, we are only entitled to continental breakfast per HH terms, so can't really complain there. Even with access to the Reach, we only used the facilities/restaurants at the CM, since they just appeared to be better. We weren't very impressed with the Reach. I would stay here again if I ever return to KW.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I just returned from this property and although it was an okay stay, I will not be returning to the property in future. If this was a paid stay, I would have been very upset about it. Being on points, helped relieve the annoyance a little bit.

1. As others have said - there is absolutely nothing Waldorf Astoria about this place or the sister property. Nothing.
2. Rooms - SMALL, worn out, dirty, chipped paint, visible rust, cracked and broken tiles.
3. F&B - meh. Take the free breakfast if you get it otherwise go out for a meal. Much better food and drinks outside.

Issues - Booked a room on pts over July 4th weekend so ofcourse, they gave me a street facing room with double bed (offered a King bed and/ or view for upcharge). Passed on it. Went into the room where the floor was grimy and sandy... we are on a beach but no reason the rooms cannot be cleaned up properly between guests.
Moving on... decided to use the iron and yellow (puke-ish) looking fluid spills out on bedsheets and my wife's clothes. Wonderful!! She called up guest services/ FD to complain and they happily offered to waive the resort fee of $45/day. My wife happily accepted.... except for there is no resort fee on award stays!!! More annoyance ensues and finally they give 40K points to make up for it.
Day before checkout, requested to extend my checkout to 1pm (from 11am regular time). They offered noon for complimentary checkout and $75 per hour after. Final! Wouldn't give an inch after it.
Finally, at time of checkout, the bill had multiple incorrect charges from pool food service to valet for everyday (whereas I did not have a car). Thankfully, these got sorted before I left.

Upside (and there is not much)... the property has an expansive, open layout. Common areas are kept fairly clean and F&B staff is good. The F&B manager is ALWAYS making rounds whether it's breakfast time or busy time at pool in afternoon. We struck up a conversation and talked for a bit. Definitely seems passionate about keeping guests happy and that reflects in his staff. (If someone knows contact info for Casa Marina GM please let me know so i can send some positive feedback).

Neutral on staff - most staff was decent but some had language barrier issue. There was a lot of staff from Haiti (bit surprising to me) and some of them weren't quite fluent with English which was understandable. However property has them in guest facing roles and that created some awkward situations like at breakfast or making a request with room maid for changing bedsheets (she immediately connected me main office on her cell so I could explain them my request... little weird).

Overall... my stay was decent enough for being on points. But I wouldn't be spending any more points or cash here again.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Just back from a 3 night stay, and very disappointed. I had read some recent unfavorable reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, so my expectations were low. We booked there primarily so we could enjoy a few hours watching the ocean. My stay was a combination of points, free weekend night, and one night paid. I wish I had heeded the negative reviews. It was an unpleasant experience.

I wasn’t put off by being assigned a room with a parking lot view. Nor by the beat up furnishings. I expected that from reviews I had read, The room appeared clean, just very dumpy. However, each time we opened the door of our building, there was a strong odd smell, which I suspect was mold. Because each morning we woke feeling ill, congested, with headache etc. I am allergic to a wide variety of molds, so that is what I would guess was the problem though the odor was not one I could identify. After we were out of the room a few hours symptoms improved dramatically, but they returned each morning.

We did spend little time in the room, as we were only there to sleep, but I would never book there again.

Perhaps other buildings do not have the same issues.

As for other aspects of the hotel:

Common areas seemed fine.

Diamond free continental breakfast, though adequate for our needs, was so much less in variety while not noticeably better in quality, than what has been on offer at any Hampton Inn I have stayed at.. The offerings included fruit, cereal, juice, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, a few bread choices, but no pastries of any sort, yogurt (2 choices, with granola and without) chia pudding. There was a table immediately behind the one designated continental breakfast that offered better fruit (well the pineapple and melon looked fresher and were cut in larger pieces) and a few pastries, but this, we were told was not included.

we had lunch one day at the Sun Sun restaurant on the beach. My fish sandwich was fine, but the grilled fish sandwich I had at Moondog Cafe in Key West was much better.

Staff were pleasant though not necessarily helpful.

We did like being being able to spend a few hours watching the ocean.

Last edited by travelpye; Nov 18, 2019 at 10:33 am Reason: Typos
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I've had three uneventful stays there in the last five years so I wouldn't panic over one review.

There's a reason why this hotel is ranked #50 of 52 Key West hotels on Tripadvisor.

It shouldn't be a Waldorf Astoria.
BigFishDave and carsnoceans like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.