Wiki Posts
Search

The Saratoga Hilton {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Arrow The Saratoga Hilton {US-NY}

This hotel just became a Hilton in March of 2008 and they seem to still be a little in transition. Apparently a fair amount of money was spent in renovating the hotel and it has turned out nicely. The only one of their signature suites left when we checked in was a smoking room so we passed and took a fairly large regular room with a small sofa, fridge and microwave. The bathroom was quite small. As Diamonds we were given continental breakfast coupons but the waiter in the restaurant, Sophie's, told us there wasn't an actual continental breakfast on offer but rather the coupons were instead good for $12.70 each off whatever was ordered. The food in Sophie's was quite good. The staff at the hotel seemed excellent although the bell desk seemed a bit fouled up. When we pulled up to check in, it was quite a task to find anyone to help with our luggage. And checking out one of the desk clerks came up and handled our luggage because there was some difficulty rounding up a bell person. Kudos to the desk clerk for his action but it makes one wonder, as I said, what is going on with the bell desk.

One plus of the hotel, which I hope doesn't change as it becomes more Hilton-like, is they don't try to nickel and dime the guest with high prices on all the extras. For example: The Vitamin Water machine charged $1.50 a bottle, less than in some grocery stores. The price for laundering and pressing a shirt was $3.55, one of the lowest prices I've found in a Hilton. And the Internet was complimentary for all guests. ^

Last edited by daveinsf; Sep 9, 2008 at 9:22 am
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
The Saratoga Hilton

I have stayed at the Hilton Saratoga several times since it was reflagged as a Hilton. I hadn't stayed there since the total remodeling following it's conversion from a Sheraton to the Prime.

I quite like the redo. The rooms are nice. I have stayed in a regular rooms and in two different types of suites. The toiletries are great. The beds are great. The rooms are nice. Chez Sophie is a marvelous restaurant.

My big disappointment is the wireless internet. It has been VERY unreliable. I have phoned the 800 number numerous times. The last time I stayed there I called the front desk several times. Finally a lady admitted that they have ongoing problems with wireless and that it in fact does not work in a few rooms, ever. There is no wired internet service. She further went on to add that the hotel hopes to eventually convert to HHonors wireless. I told her that if that happens I will return. Until then I will stay at the Hilton Garden, or the brand new Hampton Inn and Suites which is located nearby. It has great location, wonderful, large rooms and reliable internet service. I would much prefer staying at the Marriott Courtyard about two blocks away as well. Their wireless is very reliable and it is a short stroll to the Saratoga and a marvelous dinner at Chez Sophie.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
Update

Just stayed here Wed night. I often stay in the Albany area and usually at one of the Hampton Inns in the airport area, which are usually at least $125/night. The Saratoga Hilton came up at $104 AAA rate, so I decided to check it out. Pretty much as the two previous posters described. I was give a Signature Suite, which has a sitting area with two chairs and a sofa plus a wet bar. Room looked nice and bathroom well done.

The restaurant is now called Union Grill and I only tried it for breakfast. As stated, the Desk gives you a coupon for a continental breakfast, but it actually is a credit for $12.50, so you can pretty much get what you want. I had no problems with the wireless internet.

FWIW. The Hilton is closer to downtown than the Courtyard.

Definitely good value for the price I paid
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi,

HH Diamond. Stayed at The Saratoga Hilton for 1 night recently. I reserved the least expensive room available which was 1 King no-smoking.

I did not ask for any upgrade at checkin or choose the NOR1 offers.

I received a full suite.
I am very satisfied with the service and Diamond recognition I received. The Hotel is well located at the North end of the downtown section of Broadway in walking distance of many shops, restaurants etc.

I received 2 coupons for Continental breakfast. $7 up charge for hot items including cook to order egg station. No Executive lounge.

I was very satisfied with my stay but there is one thing that would have been a show stopper if I did not have a suite. The air conditioners are like the ones in an old Hampton inn, and very noisy. The noise is amplified by the echo chambers created by the lovely wooden cabinets that enclose the air conditioners.

I was able to crank up the bedroom unit when in the living room area and vice-verse when sleeping so the noise was muted. The air conditioner cabinet is best seen in the picture of the bedroom.

Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays? I have a three night stay in mid August in a junior suite.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just completed a three night stay at the Saratoga Hilton and its an ok Hilton (which means I am disappointed since I would expect the Saratoga Hilton to be a top notch Hilton). Front Desk could use improvement as the times I called down nobody answered and it required multiple calls (the morning I needed to request a new iron and had to get somewhere it took about 10 min to get someone to answer my call (and then I had to wait about 15 min for the actual iron to be delivered). While the gal who checked me out was pleasant, the check-in one was highly unfriendly (definitely no personal welcome and Thank you for being a Diamond). Housekeeping (at least for my room) was great. Safe in room did not work. Bed was super comfy. This is the first Hilton I have a genuine beef about their breakfast. The first morning I was there, I dropped in to grab my continental to go with some coffee and the selection was putrid and very limited. The pastries were not the typical Hilton pastries we see (you know like the orange cranberry muffins, chocolate croissants, croissant, apple puff pastries) and were a low end inferior set of pastries. I took two with me up stairs and had half a bit and put them away. It was disappointing enough the next morning I had coffee and a danish at the convention I was attending and this morning I just made a cup of coffee in the room (am having a Dunkin Donut at the Albany Airport right now). Considering how much this hotel charges during the Saratoga meet, there really should be some complimentary coffee in the lobby (yes, I realize there is a Starbucks). They do have fruit infused water by the desk. I did receive a small box of 4 chocolates after I arrived.

It is attached to City Center which is where the Equestricon event I was a panelist for was so that was convenient and since its on Broadway there are a ton of restaurants and shops in walking distance.

The one and only other time I was in Saratoga, I stayed at the Hilton Garden and the staff there could not have been any friendlier or hospitable.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
The recently opened Hampton Inn is a better choice. Basically the same location too.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ILS2
The recently opened Hampton Inn is a better choice. Basically the same location too.
As there aren't posts for other Saratoga properties, curious if folks have thoughts for the Hilton v. Hampton Inn v. Hilton Garden Inn for a few days getaway, for a Diamond if that matters. Prices are similar and I like the Hilton's downtown location. I imagine I will be doing stuff more in the neighboring areas except for night, though.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Adam1222
As there aren't posts for other Saratoga properties, curious if folks have thoughts for the Hilton v. Hampton Inn v. Hilton Garden Inn for a few days getaway, for a Diamond if that matters. Prices are similar and I like the Hilton's downtown location. I imagine I will be doing stuff more in the neighboring areas except for night, though.
The Hampton Inn is not in the same location, but a couple of blocks away, but indeed still within the downtown area. My experience at this property as Diamond was a mix bag - see my review https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29485159-post215.html
If price was the same, I'll just go for the Hilton, but if it's significantly more expensive I'll just for for the Hampton Inn or the Embassy Suite - which I think you'll get the same comfort as the Hilton.

Cheers!
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nldogbert
The Hampton Inn is not in the same location, but a couple of blocks away, but indeed still within the downtown area. My experience at this property as Diamond was a mix bag - see my review https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29485159-post215.html
If price was the same, I'll just go for the Hilton, but if it's significantly more expensive I'll just for for the Hampton Inn or the Embassy Suite - which I think you'll get the same comfort as the Hilton.

Cheers!
Thanks. The Hampton is actually $5/nt more, but doesn't charge for parking so about a wash. The ES is $50/nt more, so I am not considering it. The HGI and Homewood are substantially cheaper.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do the rooms here still have shared balconies? Are there refrigerators in the rooms?
Old May 3, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
I had a small refrigerator at the Hampton Inn during a stay in September 2020. Also, they offered the best breakfast I've seen at a Hampton Inn during the pandemic.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
It is a little out of town but two thumbs up for the Homewood Suites. They had a happy hour going on one night recently, free nibblies and beer but you had to take it back to your room. The (draft) beer was something decent too, a local craft IPA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.