Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Visa: New Cards sent to me due to "breach"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Visa: New Cards sent to me due to "breach"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cotch
I think the merchant has to be Hilton. I only use my Citi Visa for Hilton stays...
Interesting. That would explain why Citi is protecting the identity of the "merchant" that triggered all this... they're a "client."

We never got any kind of automated message from Citi, just a set of new cards in the mail. Huge pain in the neck because of all the account relationships I had to update, but I presume they know what they're doing... just glad I wasn't on the road for an extended period when the deal went down.

Re: fraud watch... this is the same Citi that called my house in Seattle within 30 minutes of my using the card at the LIRR kiosks at Jamaica Station, Queens, leaving JFK... asking if I was in NY or not. Brilliant.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Here's a blog post reporting the same issue -- in June 2008.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Just had my Citibank-issued American Express card cancelled with the same information from the customer service representative (no actual fraudulent activity observed, preventative measure [covering their ... at the customer's inconvenience] due to merchant database breach, won't indicate which one). Data points: I have never ever used this card at a Hilton, a TJ Maxx, or a Borders; based both on memory of not having stepped into one of those merchants in the past year or purchased online from them, and on having just perused all statements since my application for this specific card this spring.

Grrr. What a royal PITA....
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
I received a notice from Bank of America for my VISA (fraternity affinity card) a couple of weeks ago basically saying the same thing...got the new card in a few days later. I'm 29 and I bet this will happen a few more times in my lifetime.

By the way, I'm at the HI in Fishers, IN...nice property. Glad I'm not back home (Houston) and I hope the brick on my patio is still there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.