Hilton Cartagena Hotel {COL}

Old Jul 22, 02, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fly UA 1K & WN A-List, Sleep Marriott Gold & IHG Plat, Drive Hertz. Future FT Fantasy Football Champ
Arrow Hilton Cartagena Hotel {COL}

Any experience with this property? Is it a true resort type property? Hilton Cartagena
Old Jul 22, 02, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was there a few weeks ago. one day the air broke down it does so every few weeks, its hotter than miami. nice pools, out of the way but cabs are cheap $3 to get to the old city only place its really happening.

didnt eat there, make sure you get a pool view room(also faces the ocean.Would I go back NO, but happy I went, the old city was great spent countless hrs there. Got the stay at 4 nights for 42,000 pts so very good value. Once was enough next time back to UIO. Got a flight that was just called here at LHR, email with all your particular ques, just may not be able to get back to you till Im back states-side next week.
Old Sep 7, 07, 12:52 pm

Does anyone have an email address for the Manager at this hotel?
Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 07, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sfcaFLYER View Post
Does anyone have an email address for the Manager at this hotel?
Thanks.

You can get at least some hotel e-mail addresses at the UK Hilton site.
Old Jul 31, 08, 8:13 pm

Arrow Hilton Cartagena Hotel {COL}

didnt see anything posted on this..so wanted to give my review of Hilton Cartagena.

I had a 3 night point stretcher reward stay (18,000 points a night), and had an amazing time. For 54,000 points for 3 nights, I thought it was an amazing value. If booked directly, I think the price would have been ~$900 or so. All of the front desk agents spoke between decent to pretty good english, which made things easy. I booked a 2 twin bed room w/ sea view, and when I got there, they asked whether I wanted that room, or to be put into an executive room, with 2 queen beds. Since it was me + 2 other people, I opted for the executive room upgrade, even though it had a city view instead of a sea view.

Upon returning the first day after the pool, we came back to the room and had a couple bottles of water, and a bowl of fruit in the room. Maid service came twice a day, once in the morning, and again in the evening time.

The executive lounge was small but nice, always had some sort of snacks out, and self serve soft drinks. In the morning there was breakfast, with an assorted array of fresh squeezed juices.

There were 3 pools, outside next to the water. The only complaint was the hotel's beach was pretty crummy. This is not really a complaint on Hilton, more Cartagena in general. There aren't any really nice beaches in Cartagena, and you have to travel by boat to goto one of the islands nearby if you want a nice beach. We booked all of our day trips through someone located in the hotel, though I don't think they are actually part of Hilton.

Overall, a very good experience at the hotel. The only concern I would say is that it is a very American hotel. The rooms are exactly as I would expect in an American hotel. Some people like that, while others may prefer a more local experience.
Old Aug 1, 08, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Cartagena and the Hilton was the most trouble free. As noted the Cartgena beaches are not Maui or Miami quality and beach thievery is rampant and the sidewalks are treacherous. Very nice city overall.

MisterNice
Old Oct 10, 08, 4:24 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, HH Diamond
Hilton Cartagena??

I would really appreciate some more info about Hilton Cartagena.. I am going there in december. Is it a good property, is the exec lounge ok ? I would appreciate a new review of the hotel !
Old Oct 10, 08, 5:56 pm

do a search...there is a thread somewhere on this hotel already

I stayed there a few months ago and loved it (first time in Colombia).

I got upgraded to the executive tower which gave me access to the exec lounge. The lounge is decent, breakfast in the morning (american stuff, eggs, etc), and had finger foods throughout the day. There were free non-alcoholic beverages/bottled water which I took advantage of liberally.

The location is ok...while it is right on the water, the beach throughout cartagena is is actually pretty poor. The pool was pretty nice, I did enjoy that. We did a day trip booked through the hotel to an island about 1 1/2 hrs out, and it was amazing. Did some snorkeling while out there and was probably the best part of my trip.
Old Jul 2, 11, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA EXPLAT
Any recent stays here?
Old Jul 3, 11, 4:57 am

I was there a few times in December, though I didn't actually stay there.

The service was good and the public areas were clean.

It's right beside the water, so you can do down onto the beach if you don't want to relax by their pool.
Old Jul 4, 11, 12:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
My stay wasn't that recent - I think it was about 3 1/2 years ago but I doubt much has changed since then. At the time I was either HH Gold or Silver since I lost Diamond status for a while. As a Silver/Gold I was upgraded to a corner room with a nice view - balcony on two different sides of the room. No free breakfast (so maybe I was just Silver at the time). Room was "resort generic" but comfortable enough. Pool is great and the beach at the Hilton is probably the only decent beach in Cartagena proper.

One thing I do remember and will advise is if you get a corner room ask for a higher floor since there's some sort of a grill down at that end of the hotel and the kitchen/BBQ exhausts upwards. Funny how the thing I most remember about the hotel was the grilled meat smell wafting into my room.

Overall the hotel is nice but has very little local character. It could be a resort anywhere in the world. If I were to go back to CTG I would probably skip HH points and beach and instead opt for one of the many luxurious small boutique hotels in restored colonial buildings inside the old walled city.
Old Jul 4, 11, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA EXPLAT
Thanks for the feedback. I got the vibe it was a "generic" (and older) hotel from their photos. At $200/nt (or Cat 5 points) it seemed like a steep premium over the local-branded hotels. I was hoping service or Diamond recognition moved the value needle, but I am doubting it now.
Old Jun 17, 13, 3:14 am
Community Director

Five years on, who can give an up to date report on the Cartagena Hilton?
Old Jun 17, 13, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Five years on, who can give an up to date report on the Cartagena Hilton?
Plans for a trip to CTG some time soon?
Old Jun 17, 13, 7:37 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Plans for a trip to CTG some time soon?

Cartagena is about to explode with major hotels - but now?

Open:
Hilton
Hampton Inn (1st qtr 2013)
Holiday Inn
Sofitel - only chain property in old city, old convent, exquisite with price to match

To open:
Radisson - supposed to open 1st quarter 2013 but no opening info known
Intercontinental - supposed to open 2nd quarter 2013, ditto re opening info
Sheraton - supposed to open Jan 1 2014
Hyatt - supposed to open 2015

So ----- Hilton is the biggest player in the chain properties right now.

Search this Thread