Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Cartagena Hotel {COL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there free wine and beer in the lounge during the evening hours? Do taxis accept USD?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:47 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do taxis accept USD?
There is anecdotal evidence of them taking USD but bear in mind that USD cannot be spent in Colombia and they are worth up to 10% less that TRM if you actually buy them from an exchange house so you would ideally hit the ATM for some pesos. Taxis are going to give you a nasty exchange rate if they take them at all
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there free wine and beer in the lounge during the evening hours? Do taxis accept USD?
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
There is anecdotal evidence of them taking USD but bear in mind that USD cannot be spent in Colombia and they are worth up to 10% less that TRM if you actually buy them from an exchange house so you would ideally hit the ATM for some pesos. Taxis are going to give you a nasty exchange rate if they take them at all
+1

I sure wouldn't count on the taxi (or anyone else) taking dollars.

It's not like Mexico or Costa Rica. Not even close. If you go to Colombia, you need to get pesos. I generally have the taxi stop at the Davivienda right outside the airport.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
For anyone who has been to the city recently, are credit cards accepted in the old city widely, or should I plan to stock up on local currency for a visit?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
For anyone who has been to the city recently, are credit cards accepted in the old city widely, or should I plan to stock up on local currency for a visit?
Most places accept credit cards. Taxis do not though.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Glad this thread got a bump, since I never did my promised stay report!
This hotel has lots of things going for it: awesome pools, nice ocean/lagoon views from most rooms, not too far from the colonial city.
Best thing about it was the superb tennis club. We played every day, and even did a few tennis lessons with the pro-- it was affordable AND he fixed my serve! For real. Plus he was a super nice guy. He'd been working there a long time so I assume he's still there.
Room IIRC was decent, an upgrade to maybe a junior suite. Food wasn't super memorable but breakfast buffet was extensive. The huge pools were a highlight. WE LOVED COLOMBIA-- we also spent 4 nights in Medellin and that was wonderful too.
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Just booked 4 nights using the Hilton Americas Flash sale 25% off.
$89 per night, seems like a great price, actually much cheaper than even mid-range hotels in the old walled city.
With Diamond benefits it should be a decent stay.
Will report back after my stay, April 4-8.
Looking forward to my first visit to CTG!
paul00 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:46 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Have an award stay booked there next month. Sounds like it should be a great week!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Whats the likelihood of being upgraded to a suite on a points stay as a Diamond?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mhdena
Whats the likelihood of being upgraded to a suite on a points stay as a Diamond?
IIRC I received a suite here a couple of years ago. Nothing special though... rather dated.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by craigthemif
IIRC I received a suite here a couple of years ago. Nothing special though... rather dated.
Have you been to the Hyatt in Cartagena? Is it better or about the same?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The suites are on the corners of the building and have large outdoor terraces - for this reason I find them far preferable to the standard rooms.

Hyatt is a much newer property. The location is more convenient but not nearly so private. Hilton has its own beach where you will be hassled less than on the public beach across from the Hyatt.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:17 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Kacee
The suites are on the corners of the building and have large outdoor terraces - for this reason I find them far preferable to the standard rooms.

Hyatt is a much newer property. The location is more convenient but not nearly so private. Hilton has its own beach where you will be hassled less than on the public beach across from the Hyatt.
Twenty feet outside Hilton's front door an hombre cozied up to me and asked, "chica?"

Twenty feet further along a pimp offered, "chica linda?" I figured that when I ambled another twenty feet a "chica muy linda" would be proffered, but no luck. There's a life lesson in all this, but darn if I know what it is.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jailer
Twenty feet outside Hilton's front door an hombre cozied up to me and asked, "chica?"

Twenty feet further along a pimp offered, "chica linda?" I figured that when I ambled another twenty feet a "chica muy linda" would be proffered, but no luck. There's a life lesson in all this, but darn if I know what it is.
Bienvenidos a Cartagena.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I much prefer the Hyatt. Better lounge, newer rooms, nicer pool, closer to the old city.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:42 am

I much prefer the Hyatt. Better lounge, newer rooms, nicer pool, closer to the old city.
I'm going to the Conrad Hilton this trip to use up some Hilton points. I may do a cursory view the Hyatt for next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.