Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:18 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by zwkchong
I see lots of talk of car transfer service and for those spending a little longer on the island, don't hesitate to rent a car. Almost all of the major international agencies are at the airport and rates are very reasonable (I paid 4800THB for a week with Sixt). Roads are much calmer than Bangkok, very similar to small European islands (ie Santorini)
Totally agree! We saw sooo much more of the island by having a car, a lot of those “wonder what’s down that road” moments. So much more flexibility by having car. I’ve driven in all parts of the world and wouldn’t put this near the top as far stressful experiences.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by monahos
The upgrade to the royal villa was pre-Lyle, but was an outlier as the hotel was at 100% occupancy and I was on a short stay which must have matched its vacancy; I was left with the impression this was handled by the Thai reservation manager. IIRC it was my fourth stay there.
I never met the previous GM (saw him last year at the Rangali being, er, selective about guests he would approach), in contrast to Lyle who was available to all. It is under his watch the CKS became my favorite Hilton property, one of the few with no 'why am I here?' rooms, plus personalized, friendly, discreet, thoughtful, but not fawning service, just the way I like it. Here is hoping that mindset survived his retirement.
Lyle was a fantastic host. He upgraded us to the Royal Villa once for around 5 nights. It was a huge and very pleasant surprise.

However, the staff at this property are still superb. They really go out of their way to make you feel special, and their competence and follow-through is very nice-better than at the W or the Four Seasons. We never even met the new manager once during our recent 11-night stay, but were still very well taken care of, and the front office girls checked on us daily.

Originally Posted by pinniped
I get that Bangkok is like that, but is Koh Samui as well?
My wife had to go to the Bangkok Hospital emergency room in Koh Samui at around 4 AM last year (gall bladder) and we witnessed two young Frenchmen, who had been in a motorcycle accident (and they were not drunk), having rocks and other debris being removed from their skin by the patient nurses. They evidently gave them no painkillers because they were screaming and crying during the procedure. It was really funny to watch the dutiful and thorough nurses do their work while these young, tough-looking men were mewling. At the end of the procedure, both of them looked like mummies, and they chatted cheerfully with us at check-out about how they were done with renting motorbikes in Thailand.

By the way, Bangkok Hospital is fantastic. I highly recommend them. My wife was seen by a US-educated doctor in less than 5 minutes, who competently and correctly diagnosed her condition and had her on pain killers by the time I finished check-in. In the end, it only cost $210- with no insurance, including meds, for the treatment.
Ripper3785 likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 29, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Can you guys help with some logistical advice.
We will get to BKK through NRT arriving at 11 pm, we will do 5th night free on points, I have a free weekend night cert so maybe 6 nights? Do most of you spend a couple of nights at one of the Hilton’s in Bangkok then take the ferry over - is there a Hilton property that stands out? Going home I assume most of you are like us and just want to get home quick so fly to BKK then BKK-NRT-LAX?
We will use ANA 90k r/t in J from LAX to Japan then either VS or AA miles on to BKK.
Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Can you guys help with some logistical advice.
We will get to BKK through NRT arriving at 11 pm, we will do 5th night free on points, I have a free weekend night cert so maybe 6 nights? Do most of you spend a couple of nights at one of the Hilton’s in Bangkok then take the ferry over - is there a Hilton property that stands out? Going home I assume most of you are like us and just want to get home quick so fly to BKK then BKK-NRT-LAX?
We will use ANA 90k r/t in J from LAX to Japan then either VS or AA miles on to BKK.
Thanks
You might want to google how to get from BKK to Koh Samui. There is no ferry. Its a long drive or flight down south before you could reach a boat option. Just get a return flight BKK USM BKK.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:50 pm

The Waldorf Astoria is the best Hilton property in BKK, followed by the Conrad.

BKK-Samui by bus/ferry takes appr. 14 hours and by train/ferry appr. 17 hours. The train part of the train/ferry combination on a 1st/2nd class sleeper can be comfortable and interesting, but the waiting time, the bus transfer and the ferry aren‘t. I did it once and I don‘t want to miss that experience. But I won’t do it again.

If you arrive at BKK at 11pm, it’s a good time for party, but a bad time for connecting flights or busses. So you should book a hotel for that night. The only alternative is to book a private limousine to Samui departing the same night.

Bangkok is worth visiting for a lot of reasons. It offers higher quality and more choice than Samui. But at Samui you will find enough alternatives at an acceptable level of quality plus you can spend your time at the beach/sea. So if you don‘t know Bangkok well or at all, use that opportunity to visit it. Otherwise you don‘t need too.

Btw: If you want to go to Samui only, you should check xxx-SIN-USM as an alternative. Sometimes the award availability to SIN is better than to BKK.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do they still offer guests a choice of Shanghai Tang scent and toiletry brand when they arrive?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
The Waldorf Astoria is the best Hilton property in BKK, followed by the Conrad.

BKK-Samui by bus/ferry takes appr. 14 hours and by train/ferry appr. 17 hours. The train part of the train/ferry combination on a 1st/2nd class sleeper can be comfortable and interesting, but the waiting time, the bus transfer and the ferry aren‘t. I did it once and I don‘t want to miss that experience. But I won’t do it again.

If you arrive at BKK at 11pm, it’s a good time for party, but a bad time for connecting flights or busses. So you should book a hotel for that night. The only alternative is to book a private limousine to Samui departing the same night.

Bangkok is worth visiting for a lot of reasons. It offers higher quality and more choice than Samui. But at Samui you will find enough alternatives at an acceptable level of quality plus you can spend your time at the beach/sea. So if you don‘t know Bangkok well or at all, use that opportunity to visit it. Otherwise you don‘t need too.

Btw: If you want to go to Samui only, you should check xxx-SIN-USM as an alternative. Sometimes the award availability to SIN is better than to BKK.
Thanks
My wife wants to add Japan so I think we will spend 3 nights at the Conrad in Bangkok, as you suggested pay our way to USM, spend 3 nights at Samui. The routing back on ANA using VS miles looks like we leave BKK at 2200 get to NRT at 6:30 am so thinking take the train to Kyoto for 3 days then Tokyo for 2 days; I’m booking separate award reservations to get a stop over in Japan. If I have to use AA miles for the BKK-NRT leg I think I have to go through KUL.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: IHG platinum
Hello
Does anyone know if this hotel takes advance deposit charge for incidental like Conrad Maldives does? Planning to use $70 off $350 amex offer+ $250 aspire credit this year for advance deposit then use next year $250 aspire credit during the stay. Thanks a lot
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
I have had no problems prepaying via credit card in the past.

Just email the resort and you will likely be sent a pre auth form for the charges.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beano HK
On property at moment and it's raining and so have nothing much better to do....

Well, rats. The photo doesn’t show up now. Any chance someone else has a photo of the laundry price list?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:07 am

Just email the resort for it.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Upgrade question:

There are 4 of us visiting this hotel. (2 kids 2 adults) I've emailed the property about confirmed upgrade costs, and they've responded with approx. $130/nt to confirm a Retreat Villa and approx. $400/nt. to confirm a two-bedroom villa.

We could afford the $400/nt if necessary, although I'm more inclined to save the money and spend it on activities or other things. The Retreat Villa shows occupancy of 4, but I assume the kids will be on some sort of pull-out sofa. They've done that many times and aren't bothered by it.

My question is: if I confirm the Retreat Villa now, am I eligible to get a space-available upgrade to the two-bedroom upon arrival? (Diamond member) I'm inclined to think the Retreat Villa will be comfortable enough and that might be the best use of some upgrade dollars to guarantee a pretty nice unit at a modest cost.

Timing is March...I think sort of towards the end of their peak season (?).

Any other benefits of the two-bedroom besides the obvious (a 2nd bedroom)?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Any other benefits of the two-bedroom besides the obvious (a 2nd bedroom)?
In your shoes, I might pay to upgrade to the two bedroom, but not to the retreat, which is physically 100% identical to the standard units.

The two bedroom villas are a different proposition entirely, with, among other features:
- 2nd bedroom has its own full bathroom
- master bedroom has a round bed with a huge bathroom; those shower stalls could accommodate a small family
- large space upstairs with big living room, couches, dinner table, kitchenette, and guest toilet
- 3 TV's vs. 1 should it matter (3 toilets vs. 1 might be more appreciated)
- grassy garden upstairs with chairs

IIRC pool size is the same.

None of the couches are pullout units. The one in the single bedroom is quite hard, and will sleep one person. The other kid will require a rollaway, which will go in the space between the two bathroom doors. Altogether a much more cramped arrangement than the 2 bedroom, which would feel much roomier even with 6 people in it.

As for upgrades, I believe two bedroom units have been allocated if available to return diamonds under the previous management (even from standard awards). No idea if that much appreciated practice has survived. This property has over the years treated me very well as a return guest, whether gold or diamond.

The 2 bedroom villas are designed to provide a comfortable experience for 4 people, the 1 bedroom for a couple (that they are not available with 2 beds should be a hint).
I would not want a 2 bedroom with a SO, and find the 1 bedroom limiting with a platonic friend.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by monahos
In your shoes, I might pay to upgrade to the two bedroom, but not to the retreat, which is physically 100% identical to the standard units.

The two bedroom villas are a different proposition entirely, with, among other features:
- 2nd bedroom has its own full bathroom
- master bedroom has a round bed with a huge bathroom; those shower stalls could accommodate a small family
- large space upstairs with big living room, couches, dinner table, kitchenette, and guest toilet
- 3 TV's vs. 1 should it matter (3 toilets vs. 1 might be more appreciated)
- grassy garden upstairs with chairs

IIRC pool size is the same.

None of the couches are pullout units. The one in the single bedroom is quite hard, and will sleep one person. The other kid will require a rollaway, which will go in the space between the two bathroom doors. Altogether a much more cramped arrangement than the 2 bedroom, which would feel much roomier even with 6 people in it.

As for upgrades, I believe two bedroom units have been allocated if available to return diamonds under the previous management (even from standard awards). No idea if that much appreciated practice has survived. This property has over the years treated me very well as a return guest, whether gold or diamond.

The 2 bedroom villas are designed to provide a comfortable experience for 4 people, the 1 bedroom for a couple (that they are not available with 2 beds should be a hint).
I would not want a 2 bedroom with a SO, and find the 1 bedroom limiting with a platonic friend.

All of this is correct except maybe the bit about the pool. I'm pretty sure the pool in the 2 bedroom is larger. This is my recollection after being upgraded mid stay on previous visit. The two bedroom villa is a considerable upgrade and one we remember very fondly.
jinrop likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thank you, this is helpful.

I'm definitely considering the 2 bedroom upgrade. It sounds like it would make for an amazing stay. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.