Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by pmeye
Booked a room in the Conrad Samui on a sale. They came back to me the next day, informing me, I was upgraded to the residential wing (Diamond) and to a 2-Bedroom King Ocean View Pool Villa.
Now I'm curious, which room numbers belong to the residential wing and which villa I should choose, assuming there was a choice?
When is your stay if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I'll be writing a proper review of our 10-day stay at Conrad Koh Samui and our overall experience soon, but promised to do a write-up on our saving using the Hilton Dining Asia Pacific / Hilton Premium Club programme.
@brokenwindow can you share the exxact link to signup for this dining club for the KSM property? Seems like you have to signup specifically for the property? Nevermind- found the link https://www.premiumclubasia.com/JoinNow

Couple of other quick questions if you can chime it that would be sweet

a) It seems like there isn't anymore spa BOGO coupon I'm assuming you signed up back in 2018
b) For the 12800 THB F&B discounts you mentioned, was it a 25% or 50% discount? The website is a little confusing- it states 50% discount when there's 1 guest (i.e. 2 pax?). Is that discount unlimited?
c) Any idea when the 1 night free stay expires and if there are any restrictions? (blackout nights, transferability etc)
d) I'm assuming you just show the app to the server to avail the discount? Any encounters where the servers were not aware of this programme?

Originally Posted by KRUXED
Visited Conrad Koh Samui with my girlfriend last July to enjoy our week off for the 4th of July Holiday. We booked a standard room award rate (95k/nt) and as Diamond were upgraded to Premium villa a day or two before arrival
@KRUXED When you say Premium villa do you mean the 1 bedroom retreat pool villa 300 level room?

Last edited by ultrasoul; Feb 8, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
@brokenwindow can you share the exxact link to signup for this dining club for the KSM property? Seems like you have to signup specifically for the property?
here’s the link I used: https://www.premiumclubasia.com/JoinNow?country=tha
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
In keeping with FT tradition we utilitzed Mr Samui’s services- was 2000 THB roundtrip from airport. Arrived yesterday with the mrs and little one for a 4 night stay (3 weekend night certs Fri Sat Sun + 1 standard redemption). We arrived at 11:45am and had to wait slightly over an hour at the lobby for a room assignment at the 100 level. There were 3 other mainland chinese guests that arrived around the same time that had shorter waits for their rooms (not surprised that cash trumped redemption stays even with status this is Asia after all).

Although the mrs and I are both diamond memebers, no upgrade was available despite advanced email request for a oceanview retreat pool room (300 room level) due to the high post-chinese new year demand from Chinese mainland guests. After some discussion with our host Fay (who was very nice), they were able to offer us a 300 room for the middle 2 of our 4 nights (we are hoping they would give it to us also for the last night to avoid a room change). We were also given 8 drink chits instead of the standard 4 due to both our diamond status and bookings alternated between both our weekend night certs.

Some interesting points of note:
1) At checkin, some guests were given a blue paper bag with goodies but we were not given one. Maybe it was for revenue guests?
2) Shanghai Tang tolietries are in containers and not the small travel size ones like other Conrad properties.
3) No nespresso pods like other Conrad properties.

Last edited by ultrasoul; Feb 8, 2019 at 10:36 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
It's a bit strange, but some rooms have nespresso pods/machines and others have the philips senseo(?) thing. Hopefully your upgraded room will have them. (The 2 bedroom villas are stocked with quite a few pods and replenished daily)

After several hotels with nespresso machines over the past few years, we've finally been convinced that we needed one and took the plunge.

Sipping my decaf nespresso and enjoying the memories of Conrad Samui.... Have a great rest of your stay!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:06 am

In keeping with FT tradition we utilitzed Mr Samui’s services- was 2000 THB roundtrip from airport. Arrived yesterday with the mrs and little one for a 4 night stay (3 weekend night certs Fri Sat Sun + 1 standard redemption). We arrived at 11:45am and had to wait slightly over an hour at the lobby for a room assignment at the 100 level. There were 3 other mainland chinese guests that arrived around the same time that had shorter waits for their rooms (not surprised that cash trumped redemption stays even with status this is Asia after all).

Although the mrs and I are both diamond memebers, no upgrade was available despite advanced email request for a oceanview retreat pool room (300 room level) due to the high post-chinese new year demand from Chinese mainland guests. After some discussion with our host Fay (who was very nice), they were able to offer us a 300 room for the middle 2 of our 4 nights (we are hoping they would give it to us also for the last night to avoid a room change). We were also given 8 drink chits instead of the standard 4 due to both our diamond status and bookings alternated between both our weekend night certs.

Some interesting points of note:
1) At checkin, some guests were given a blue paper bag with goodies but we were not given one. Maybe it was for revenue guests?
2) Shanghai Tang tolietries are in containers and not the small travel size ones like other Conrad properties.
We are currently in the low 100's and like it down here. Personally I would not go through the hazzle of changing room mid-stay unless it was for something like the presidential. I prefer the proximity of the beach and pool. Also the view is great from here.

Refinery and Templespa toiletries are available in travel size containers for diamonds, in addition to the default Shanghai Tang. We have them all.

The hosts here are really friendly and useful (as opposed to Conrad Rangali). We have Melie as ours but also Fay when Melie was out.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brandonpkt
At CKS now - really enjoying our stay, however prefer the Conrad Maldives due to the world class snorkeling. One common experience between both Conrads is the daily push at every interaction with staff for us to book a spot for dinner.
Aside from the snorkeling, how do the two properties compare quality-wise?

I want to book a high-end 5-night HH resort stay in early 2020. Have been looking primarily at Maldives, but will be coming through HKG on CX and spending time in at least one or two Asian city destinations like Bangkok or Singapore. This hotel would have the advantage of a lot less total travel time for us.

Without having been to either one, I see the "pros" for CKS being much easier to get to, access to more things to do around the hotel, and probably somewhat less expensive when you account for the seaplane transfers and higher food prices in the Maldives.

"Pros" for the Maldives are the true overwater villa experience, better snorkeling, and (I think?) more private villas that don't feel as much like being in a hotel. (I'm just guessing at this from the photos.)

It looks like both have good breakfast and happy hours for Diamonds. I know my wife would want to visit a great spa and we'd both want to have at least one dinner in an exceptional restaurant, either at the hotel or nearby.

Wondering if I should be considering this hotel instead of going all the way to the Maldives....
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:33 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped

I want to book a high-end 5-night HH resort stay in early 2020. Have been looking primarily at Maldives, but will be coming through HKG on CX and spending time in at least one or two Asian city destinations like Bangkok or Singapore. This hotel would have the advantage of a lot less total travel time for us.

Without having been to either one, I see the "pros" for CKS being much easier to get to, access to more things to do around the hotel, and probably somewhat less expensive when you account for the seaplane transfers and higher food prices in the Maldives.

"Pros" for the Maldives are the true overwater villa experience, better snorkeling, and (I think?) more private villas that don't feel as much like being in a hotel. (I'm just guessing at this from the photos.)

It looks like both have good breakfast and happy hours for Diamonds. I know my wife would want to visit a great spa and we'd both want to have at least one dinner in an exceptional restaurant, either at the hotel or nearby.

Wondering if I should be considering this hotel instead of going all the way to the Maldives....
I think one of the big Pros for CKS is it's proximity to other close and cheap destinations. Spending some time in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Angkor Wat can be done with just a quick cheap flight.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:43 pm

Just got back from a 4 night stay at CKS and was at Rangali last year for our honeymoon. Honestly, when comparing these two properties, we will come back to CKS in a heartbeat. A few reasons:

- All of the staff here are very attentive especially the resort host. We had two different resort host in Rangali during out 6 nights stay and they were missing for extended period when I requested help.
- Rooms are much newer at CKS. While there is something to be said on staying on the water, the snorkeling situation is very poor (coral bleaching) unless you're staying on the other side of island where the house reef is located.
- Rooms in CKS are super private with a large pool that you can actually swim in.
- Also, the Hilton Premium Club can be used at CKS which cost THB8,000 to purchase. Given that you and your wife would be doing a spa day, a single BOGO Spa Voucher would more than pay for the Hilton Premium Club cost.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

There's no real snorkeling right off the property at CKS. Frankly the amount of trash that washes up on the shore there is troubling. And there's sometimes a jellyfish issue. The snorkeling from the free boat trip is brief and not great quality, more of an intro to snorkeling. There are likely better tours that can be arranged through the same company that offers the tour, no idea on the cost. I do love the CKS dearly, though. Conrad Maldives sounds and looks incredible, but the idea of being a captive consumer there is really off-putting for me.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by metcon123
Just got back from a 4 night stay at CKS and was at Rangali last year for our honeymoon. Honestly, when comparing these two properties, we will come back to CKS in a heartbeat. A few reasons:

- All of the staff here are very attentive especially the resort host. We had two different resort host in Rangali during out 6 nights stay and they were missing for extended period when I requested help.
- Rooms are much newer at CKS. While there is something to be said on staying on the water, the snorkeling situation is very poor (coral bleaching) unless you're staying on the other side of island where the house reef is located.
- Rooms in CKS are super private with a large pool that you can actually swim in.
- Also, the Hilton Premium Club can be used at CKS which cost THB8,000 to purchase. Given that you and your wife would be doing a spa day, a single BOGO Spa Voucher would more than pay for the Hilton Premium Club cost.

Hope this helps!
How would you compare the quality of the restaurants at Rangali Island with those at or within a short taxi ride of CKS? As I began looking at these hotels, I was under the impression that Ithaa was in the top 5-10 restaurants in the world. (Perhaps because of all the media when it first opened.) Reviews on the FT thread seem a little mixed...good, but probably not the single best meal I've ever had. It looks like the Koh Samui area has several outstanding-looking choices, including one at the Conrad (Jahn).

I'll have to read more about the Hilton Premium Club. I've been Diamond for a few years, was vaguely aware it existed at the Asian hotels, but have never evaluated it. It didn't really come into play in my short stays in HK and Japan because I didn't use many services (beyond the lounges) in the hotels.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:02 pm

How would you compare the quality of the restaurants at Rangali Island with those at or within a short taxi ride of CKS? As I began looking at these hotels, I was under the impression that Ithaa was in the top 5-10 restaurants in the world. (Perhaps because of all the media when it first opened.) Reviews on the FT thread seem a little mixed...good, but probably not the single best meal I've ever had. It looks like the Koh Samui area has several outstanding-looking choices, including one at the Conrad (Jahn).

I'll have to read more about the Hilton Premium Club. I've been Diamond for a few years, was vaguely aware it existed at the Asian hotels, but have never evaluated it. It didn't really come into play in my short stays in HK and Japan because I didn't use many services (beyond the lounges) in the hotels.
I would avoid Ithaa like the plague. Honestly it was foolish of us spend USD 400 per person for dinner at Ithaa and the food is underwhelming. If you want to "experience" the underwater restaurant and "Do it for Gram" go for the teatime (whatever it is called these days) slot which is between breakfast and lunch hours where they only serve you an appetizer and a glass of champagne and even that cost USD 75 or so.

Anyway, back to CKS, the food at Jahn is great (coming from a guy that is born and raised in Malaysia, currently lives in the states). The HPC membership provides 50% off all dining at CKS. WE had dinner there 3 nights and averaged THB2800 (after HPC code) for the both of us.

We usually don't go back to the same resort as we like trying out different places but the service level, quality of rooms and HPC provides a tremendous value for us to consider coming back. HPC membership also includes the below:

- 50% dining
- BOGO Spa voucher
- Free set lunch, set dinner AND high tea
- 2 free drink of choice (you also get 4 drink coupon in addition as Diamond member)
- Free bottle of house wine
- 50% off bottle of wine

Perhaps this may put things into perspective, for the price of 2 pizzas at Rangali, you could dine at Jahn for two person (with HPC discount). Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our time at Rangali and a nice check off the bucket list but if you're looking at value per dollar spend strictly then CKS is a no brainer especially with HPC. My 2 cents...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
We have traveled to the CKS in August the last 2 years and will be returning to Rangali in September after staying there at the end of 2016.

They are quite different experiences but as others have said when looking at the value proposition it is hard to go past CKS.

Using the HPC we had a week at CKS and did not eat outside the resort. On check out the total bill for transfers, food and spa treatments was around 50,000 THB this included 2 meals at Jahn and one in The Cellar. This would get you as far as the seaplane to Rangali (and maybe a bottle of wine).

Rangali is more naturally beautiful and there is a greater variety of dining options but the cost is exponentially higher. We spent more in 4 days on Rangali as we did for both our CKS trips combined.

We stayed in Room 301 both trips at CKS, at Rangali we had a free upgrade to a DBV and an extra night as a complimentary upgrade to a WV added to the one we had paid for (before you could book directly into the WV on points). Based on the room itself I would rate in order the DBV, CKS then the WV (but from what I had seen would rate CKS higher than a stardard BV at Rangali).

The views and room at CKS are spectacular enough that you don't need to go anywhere else but the option is there. We had the hotel car pick us up from the airport and stop at a Lotus Tesco to pick up some drinks and snacks, meaning on our first trip we really only left the room for meals. We did leave the hotel on our second trip for a couple of excursions but if we are to go again would probably split a trip between CKS and another resort closer to the action.

Jarvis Marcos has two CKS trip reports that give you a good idea of what to expect including the HPC as well as a Rangali report for comparison.

We found the service better at Rangali but both were good. The issues with CKS were minor and more recent reports seem to indicate the resort has addressed this.

Either resort will be a great experience it just comes down to budget really. At CKS we barely looked at the prices but at Rangali we had to budget and plan more ahead (though to be fair both our Rangali trips were planned as part of a month long European trip so heading for a week just to Rangali may change this somewhat).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
We have traveled to the CKS in August the last 2 years and will be returning to Rangali in September after staying there at the end of 2016.

They are quite different experiences but as others have said when looking at the value proposition it is hard to go past CKS.

Using the HPC we had a week at CKS and did not eat outside the resort. On check out the total bill for transfers, food and spa treatments was around 50,000 THB this included 2 meals at Jahn and one in The Cellar. This would get you as far as the seaplane to Rangali (and maybe a bottle of wine).

Rangali is more naturally beautiful and there is a greater variety of dining options but the cost is exponentially higher. We spent more in 4 days on Rangali as we did for both our CKS trips combined.

We stayed in Room 301 both trips at CKS, at Rangali we had a free upgrade to a DBV and an extra night as a complimentary upgrade to a WV added to the one we had paid for (before you could book directly into the WV on points). Based on the room itself I would rate in order the DBV, CKS then the WV (but from what I had seen would rate CKS higher than a stardard BV at Rangali).

The views and room at CKS are spectacular enough that you don't need to go anywhere else but the option is there. We had the hotel car pick us up from the airport and stop at a Lotus Tesco to pick up some drinks and snacks, meaning on our first trip we really only left the room for meals. We did leave the hotel on our second trip for a couple of excursions but if we are to go again would probably split a trip between CKS and another resort closer to the action.

Jarvis Marcos has two CKS trip reports that give you a good idea of what to expect including the HPC as well as a Rangali report for comparison.

We found the service better at Rangali but both were good. The issues with CKS were minor and more recent reports seem to indicate the resort has addressed this.

Either resort will be a great experience it just comes down to budget really. At CKS we barely looked at the prices but at Rangali we had to budget and plan more ahead (though to be fair both our Rangali trips were planned as part of a month long European trip so heading for a week just to Rangali may change this somewhat).
What excursions or trips did you do during your second visit? We are staying here in July for our honeymoon and I am debating on getting HPC or not, given we are going to rent a car and drive around a decent amount (i.e. not spending a lot of meal time at the hotel likely).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:48 am

This might not be the relevant forum but I thought Id give it a shot. I am trying to decide between using points (95k / night) for a four night stay at CKS or taking advantage of the current sale at ~$450 / night plus a 4th night free credit by booking with the Citi Prestige. Including taxes, it comes out to about $531 / night and thats a very low redemption value of $0.56 / point. That said, looking at the 95k points category hotels, there arent many that seem that interesting (we are already going to the Maldives at staying at the St Regis, so Rangali isnt interesting). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.