Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:50 am

If you are fine with spending a lot of the time in your room and pool then 10 nights is doable. I do suggest however, that you go on excursions to other beaches (the beach there isn't good) and islands. You might want to leave the resort to go to some other restaurants as well as the dining options will become limited pretty quickly.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:58 am

First time poster. This thread has been extremely helpful. Considering a stay here in late July 2019 for my honeymoon. After exploring all of the options in Koh Samui (Vana Belle and Four Seasons included), the Conrad appears to be one of the better options (if not the best). I am worried about the resort being too isolated though. Despite the views and private pool, etc, we are interested in exploring the island, Chaweng, and nearby areas. Does anyone have recent experience with renting a car? Is going to dinner in Chaweng doable? What possible half day / full day trips do you recommend and / or are doable? Any other information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:55 pm

I'm used to rent a car when staying at CKS. The biggest disadvantage is, that you shouldn't drink when driving. Thai police doesn't really care about speeding, but they care a lot about DUI. The second biggest disadvantage is, that it's not easy to find a parking lot in some areas. And when it's really hot on daytime, you don't want to walk around much.

Of course a dinner at Chaweng is doable. All in all you will need about 45 to 75 minutes from CKS to Chaweng. Sometimes there are some slow cars on the road and it's not always reasonable to overtake them. And when it's raining, it will take more time as well. And it's dark when it's dinner time. Driving in Thailand during night time - especially on the smaller roads close to the CKS - is maybe not fun for everyone.

If you want to explore Chaweng - the beach bars etc. - I would highly recommend to stay at a hotel at Chaweng like the Vana Belle. It's much less calm and less romantic, but it's easy to join the party people and it's no problem have some drinks there, because you don't need to drive. On the other hand there are better party locations in Thailand than Samui, i.e. Phuket.

If you drive around the island you will need about 1,5 to 2,5 hours. For sight-seeing you can also book guided tours with jeeps. There are different kind of tours and you can join other people or book a private tour. The CKS also offers boat and jet ski tours. I've tried some of them. Not cheap, but worth the money.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SantiC
Does anyone have recent experience with renting a car? I
Are you used to driving on the left hand side of the road? If you're not, Samui is a challenge. The traffic is heavy with motorbikes and there are some very narrow streets.

Originally Posted by thbe
If you want to explore Chaweng - the beach bars etc. - I would highly recommend to stay at a hotel at Chaweng like the Vana Belle. It's much less calm and less romantic, but it's easy to join the party people and it's no problem have some drinks there, because you don't need to drive.
Vana Belle location is pretty ideal . . . it's away from Chaweng's craziness (one beach over), but a very short ride away. We used the NaviGo App last trip and it was awesome.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you used to driving on the left hand side of the road? If you're not, Samui is a challenge. The traffic is heavy with motorbikes and there are some very narrow streets.

Vana Belle location is pretty ideal . . . it's away from Chaweng's craziness (one beach over), but a very short ride away. We used the NaviGo App last trip and it was awesome.
I'm not used to driving on left side (have done it in few places before) but survived fine. Just go slow and have someone help navigate for you. Don't recommend assuming you can drive like the US (ie text and drive which is never a good idea).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Good points. I really thought I would tire of the property after 7 nights. But between the island excursions, shuttle to the beaches and our pool being so much nicer than I expected, seven days flew by.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
If you are fine with spending a lot of the time in your room and pool then 10 nights is doable. I do suggest however, that you go on excursions to other beaches (the beach there isn't good) and islands. You might want to leave the resort to go to some other restaurants as well as the dining options will become limited pretty quickly.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I'm not used to driving on left side (have done it in few places before) but survived fine. Just go slow and have someone help navigate for you. Don't recommend assuming you can drive like the US (ie text and drive which is never a good idea).
I am a right hand side driver, and especially since it is busy and the speeds are low I found it quite easy to drive on Koh Samui,
Just follow the flow and you will be fine.

Globalist
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: free agent
Decide to stay at this property next month, instead of Chinese New Year. As a Hilton Diamond and it's low-season, I am hopeful that I'll get room upgrade.

I'll stay with a Thai, and she only drive motorbike so I wonder if hotel offer motorcycle for rent during our stay or we are better off to rent one nearby (we'll hire Mr Samui or taxi from airport to hotel).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:37 pm

They do not offer motorbikes however they may be able to contact a company and arrange it for you.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Plat, AA Plat
I've tried to read through all the posts and everyone's insights have been really helpful but I am still confused as to space available upgrades.

I am going to book 4 nights with cash in a waterfront villa which as I've read is closest to the main hotel facilities. As a Gold member what upgrade can I expect - an oceanview or oceanview retreat? I'd prefer the best view and most isolated room (don't mind trekking up a hill).

Any info is much appreciated!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by jthomasr21
I am going to book 4 nights with cash in a waterfront villa which as I've read is closest to the main hotel facilities. As a Gold member what upgrade can I expect - an oceanview or oceanview retreat? I'd prefer the best view and most isolated room (don't mind trekking up a hill).
My preferences are similar to yours; I wouldn't worry too much about room category, as the CKS has IMO no bad rooms.
As for proximity to facilities, as hardly anyone uses the beach, that is more of a 'horizontal' concern for the few units near Zest and the main pool, as the ones further out, be they 1/2/300 series, are quite private. There will always be an angle from which your pool is visible from a unit higher up, except for 5/600 series residences.

As a gold booked in a standard room, my upgrades have ranged from none to retreat, plus one outlier to 127.
The current management seems to be making a concerted effort to take care of return/elite guests, so it might really come down to 'space available' upgrades, meaning lower probability during end of year/Chinese holidays.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by monahos
My preferences are similar to yours; I wouldn't worry too much about room category, as the CKS has IMO no bad rooms.
As for proximity to facilities, as hardly anyone uses the beach, that is more of a 'horizontal' concern for the few units near Zest and the main pool, as the ones further out, be they 1/2/300 series, are quite private. There will always be an angle from which your pool is visible from a unit higher up, except for 5/600 series residences.

As a gold booked in a standard room, my upgrades have ranged from none to retreat, plus one outlier to 127.
The current management seems to be making a concerted effort to take care of return/elite guests, so it might really come down to 'space available' upgrades, meaning lower probability during end of year/Chinese holidays.
Thank you! That's really helpful insight
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:46 pm

I'm planning a stay here next month and just wanted some input on which villa is best to shoot for. My wife is pregnant so we'd like to minimize the walking/hiking. Which villa would be close to the restaurants and lounge?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jchanpaper
I'm planning a stay here next month and just wanted some input on which villa is best to shoot for. My wife is pregnant so we'd like to minimize the walking/hiking. Which villa would be close to the restaurants and lounge?
1. There is no executive lounge in the traditional sense. The bar might be referred to as a lounge in some materials, but its drinks are not free outside of HH elite drink coupons if any (don't recall getting them on my last stay).
2. Golf carts will come pick you up with minimal wait, so unless you prefer walking there is no need to.
3. Villas ~205-213 are nearest to the Zest restaurant where breakfast is served, and about at the same level. The corresponding 100/300 series involve a short but steep climb.
4. Jahn is best accessed by golf cart, and should you wish to eat by the main pool, the lower 100 villas are nearest.

Personally my least favorite villa I stayed in, location wise, was ~207 very near Zest, and in your situation I would just make extensive use of the golf carts. They are ubiquitous, based both in front of Zest and at arrivals, driven by anyone from bell staff to managers, uniformly courteous to friendly, and one never feels as if imposing on them, as might be the case at some other hotels. I would say the vast majority of guests rely on them for nearly all their outings, although I prefer walking to try to work off some of the inevitable weight gain

This property's design, with swimmable (not 'plunge') pools and great views in every villa, along with its underwhelming beach, means that most guests end up lazing all day in their own unit, with the public areas (pool, gym, beach) uncrowded.
As for quietness, most of the year the main source of noise will be pre-school kids if any in neighboring units, with IME a higher likelyhood of noisy neighbors in the 400 and up 2 bedroom villas, whose pricing is more attractive for larger, more social groups. Most guests in the 1 bedroom villas are couples seeking a calm holiday, and there is enough separation between units for privacy, especially vertically (one has to lean over the edge of the pool to peek at other units further down), while horizontally walls preclude eye contact with neighbors unless both are leaning out of their pools simultaneously.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by monahos
1. There is no executive lounge in the traditional sense. The bar might be referred to as a lounge in some materials, but its drinks are not free outside of HH elite drink coupons if any (don't recall getting them on my last stay).
2. Golf carts will come pick you up with minimal wait, so unless you prefer walking there is no need to.
3. Villas ~205-213 are nearest to the Zest restaurant where breakfast is served, and about at the same level. The corresponding 100/300 series involve a short but steep climb.
4. Jahn is best accessed by golf cart, and should you wish to eat by the main pool, the lower 100 villas are nearest.

Personally my least favorite villa I stayed in, location wise, was ~207 very near Zest, and in your situation I would just make extensive use of the golf carts. They are ubiquitous, based both in front of Zest and at arrivals, driven by anyone from bell staff to managers, uniformly courteous to friendly, and one never feels as if imposing on them, as might be the case at some other hotels. I would say the vast majority of guests rely on them for nearly all their outings, although I prefer walking to try to work off some of the inevitable weight gain

This property's design, with swimmable (not 'plunge') pools and great views in every villa, along with its underwhelming beach, means that most guests end up lazing all day in their own unit, with the public areas (pool, gym, beach) uncrowded.
As for quietness, most of the year the main source of noise will be pre-school kids if any in neighboring units, with IME a higher likelyhood of noisy neighbors in the 400 and up 2 bedroom villas, whose pricing is more attractive for larger, more social groups. Most guests in the 1 bedroom villas are couples seeking a calm holiday, and there is enough separation between units for privacy, especially vertically (one has to lean over the edge of the pool to peek at other units further down), while horizontally walls preclude eye contact with neighbors unless both are leaning out of their pools simultaneously.
Thank you this was very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.