Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:02 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DFW1003
Hey there! So true! We really loved our visit!

I'm trying to remember. This is why I wish I had posted my report earlier, b4 I started to forget.
I can't post pictures, otherwise I'd show the welcome fruit plate (decent size too with writing that said Conrad Koh Samui Fine Hotel and Resort). Also a bottle of wine.
I think maybe the two free drinks at Botanika was from FHR? I just can't remember, sorry. Early check in (we were late getting there) and late check out (but Amy extended it to longer than we needed, for us and our friends. And $125 resort credit. Plus we prepaid so we got $200 back on the rate by using our Amex Plat. Worked out really well since it was only for 1 night, the FHR rate and the other 5 nights were Amex certs!

Hope that helped.
Thanks. I had booked using some points, but I'll rebook.
DFW1003 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Sorry, one more thing. If you are in need of laundry service (which we were since our trip was for 19 nights total -- including travel time), there is a laundromat that you can drop off laundry and they will wash and fold. 1 kg costs 100 THB (around 3 dollars). SUPER CHEAP. The more delicate / expensive stuff, we had the Conrad wash (just a few items) but the rest of our stuff we used the local service and it was fine!

If you have a car, obviously it's an option. We didn't have a car, but Amy offered to drop off and pick up for us!! Like I said, Amy was an amazing host!

BTW, my name is not Amy. haha
Sorry, it was very late and I was tired - now corrected!
DFW1003 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Here now with my wife. It's not perfect but is really quite excellent. Have a personal assistant named Felix who is super on-top of things. Honestly, that's the most valuable perk.
Good things so far: upgraded from base room to 316, same room mentioned upthread. It's an amazing room with a view that is to die for. Great time to visit, too, perfect weather except for the occasional storm. Infinity pool in the room is great.

The dinner at Zest and drinks at Zest and at the main bar are exceptional. Zest does Thai food really well and it's reasonably priced with the diamond discount. The selection of drinks at Zest and the main bar is good. Don't be fooled by the cocktail menu at the main bar and its lack of ingredients - my wife ordered what appeared to be a three ingredient pina colada last night and I nearly stopped her because it didn't even list coconut. But it had all the regular ingredients, very fresh juices, and was delicious.

Breakfast is very good, though of course we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Bangkok for two nights before this, which invites the inevitable, but unfair, comparison. I'd say the highlights of breakfast are the homemade smoked salmon and sausage, the smoothie bar (so fresh!), and the egg station. There was a Brit working the egg station this morning who made one of the best shakshukas I've ever had. We also asked for a French press coffee this morning, which was great.

The beach is great. If you go to the north side (right side as you face the water), you can easily get into the water. My wife is currently sitting in a hammock over the water. It's perfect. I don't think the beach is too small. There are plenty of loungers, hammocks, and cabanas. I have no doubt that if, somehow, there were too many people on the beach that the CKS would supply more loungers. Plus the view. What more do you need? Honestly, because the beach is small, it feels very private. I hate those giant beaches that are crowded with a million guests anyway (I'm looking at you, Ka'anapali).

Rented a car. Highly recommend as long as you are native to left side driving or can adjust quickly. Samui sort of makes it easy to adjust in that you're never expected to drive fast or aggressively, so just take it slow and remember that the left turns are now easy and to look right, left, right for the right turns. The staff are quick with buggy service to your car and you can easily come and go anytime day or night. Also, remember not to drink more than one (or share one) when you go out - Thailand does not play with drunk driving. If you want another, best to just spend it at the hotel bar. We went out for a very cheap dinner last night (300 baht with tax and tip at a place across from the nearest 7 Eleven) and we'll be hitting up Nathan Night Market, Lamai, and Samui Elephant Home in the next several days. Saving a bunch of money simply by driving.

Housekeeping is right on top of it and, with a little tip, they really went above and beyond. Super clean and left us many, many bottles of water.

Some small cons:
Breakfast could be better. For example, they have Euro options, but the selection of meats and cheeses is substandard. another example: the Chinese dumplings clearly just come from a packet. And the pastries are really soggy. (It's not fair to compare to the WA Bangkok, but I really miss the pastry chef there. Maybe the best croissant I've had outside of France.) Also, why they don't have an a la carte menu or even a menu for the stations is beyond me. I would have never known to order shakshuka had I not seen it freshly made for someone else.

There is no hotel info menu in the room. There is a QR code, but that just directs you to a website with food and spa menus. I want to know everything there is to do in this hotel and how to do it. I don't care if it's a QR code or a physical book (though I'd prefer the latter because COVID is just a lazy excuse at this point). I just want to know, rather than waste valuable vacation time figuring it out myself or pestering my personal assistant.

One, final drawback is that the prices at Azure and for the prix fixe at Jahn are so high that I am basically not interested, even with the discount. It would be one thing if we were in the Maldives with nowhere else to go (and had budgeted for the same). But, this being Thailand, I can just drive to a place and get dinner for two for under $10 USD. That said, the quality of the food and prices for dinner at Zest are good enough to keep us coming back. I'm not sure why Zest is a good 25-50% cheaper than Azure, but I'll take it.

Anyway, some spa time coming up and plenty more vacation to be had. Will reply to this thread with any further updates. Bottom line, LOVING it here so far!

​​​​

​​​​​
SanDiego1K and DFW1003 like this.

Last edited by flyingmusicianlax; Aug 29, 2022 at 11:16 pm
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
The beach is great. If you go to the north side (right side as you face the water), you can easily get into the water. My wife is currently sitting in a hammock over the water. It's perfect. I don't think the beach is too small. There are plenty of loungers, hammocks, and cabanas. I have no doubt that if, somehow, there were too many people on the beach that the CKS would supply more loungers. Plus the view. What more do you need? Honestly, because the beach is small, it feels very private. I hate those giant beaches that are crowded with a million guests anyway (I'm looking at you, Ka'anapali).
​​​​​
Thanks for the review. I agree with some of what you wrote, but regarding the beach I am surprised you find it great, and even bolded. Great relative to where except Hawaii? For Koh Samui specifically, I cannot imagine that the beach at Conrad would be considered a strong point relative to Conrad's competitors. For hotels in this price range, the beach at Vana Belle (Luxury Collection) is far superior to Conrad and I would also pick W and Banyan Tree ahead of Conrad despite their own beaches not being that fantastic to begin with.

In fact Conrad was aware of its subpar beach (by local standards) such that they used to offer a shuttle boat to bring guests to an offsite beach to compensate for their weakness. I don't know if that boat is still available.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by escape4; Aug 30, 2022 at 12:35 am
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:13 am

Here now with my wife. It's not perfect but is really quite excellent. Have a personal assistant named Felix who is super on-top of things. Honestly, that's the most valuable perk.
Good things so far: upgraded from base room to 316, same room mentioned upthread. It's an amazing room with a view that is to die for. Great time to visit, too, perfect weather except for the occasional storm. Infinity pool in the room is great.

The dinner at Zest and drinks at Zest and at the main bar are exceptional. Zest does Thai food really well and it's reasonably priced with the diamond discount. The selection of drinks at Zest and the main bar is good. Don't be fooled by the cocktail menu at the main bar and its lack of ingredients - my wife ordered what appeared to be a three ingredient pina colada last night and I nearly stopped her because it didn't even list coconut. But it had all the regular ingredients, very fresh juices, and was delicious.

Breakfast is very good, though of course we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Bangkok for two nights before this, which invites the inevitable, but unfair, comparison. I'd say the highlights of breakfast are the homemade smoked salmon and sausage, the smoothie bar (so fresh!), and the egg station. There was a Brit working the egg station this morning who made one of the best shakshukas I've ever had. We also asked for a French press coffee this morning, which was great.

Rented a car. Highly recommend as long as you are native to left side driving or can adjust quickly. Samui sort of makes it easy to adjust in that you're never expected to drive fast or aggressively, so just take it slow and remember that the left turns are now easy and to look right, left, right for the right turns. The staff are quick with buggy service to your car and you can easily come and go anytime day or night. Also, remember not to drink more than one (or share one) when you go out - Thailand does not play with drunk driving. If you want another, best to just spend it at the hotel bar. We went out for a very cheap dinner last night (300 baht with tax and tip at a place across from the nearest 7 Eleven) and we'll be hitting up Nathan Night Market, Lamai, and Samui Elephant Home in the next several days. Saving a bunch of money simply by driving.

Housekeeping is right on top of it and, with a little tip, they really went above and beyond. Super clean and left us many, many bottles of water.

Some small cons:
Breakfast could be better. For example, they have Euro options, but the selection of meats and cheeses is substandard. another example: the Chinese dumplings clearly just come from a packet. And the pastries are really soggy. (It's not fair to compare to the WA Bangkok, but I really miss the pastry chef there. Maybe the best croissant I've had outside of France.) Also, why they don't have an a la carte menu or even a menu for the stations is beyond me. I would have never known to order shakshuka had I not seen it freshly made for someone else.

There is no hotel info menu in the room. There is a QR code, but that just directs you to a website with food and spa menus. I want to know everything there is to do in this hotel and how to do it. I don't care if it's a QR code or a physical book (though I'd prefer the latter because COVID is just a lazy excuse at this point). I just want to know, rather than waste valuable vacation time figuring it out myself or pestering my personal assistant.

One, final drawback is that the prices at Azure and for the prix fixe at Jahn are so high that I am basically not interested, even with the discount. It would be one thing if we were in the Maldives with nowhere else to go (and had budgeted for the same). But, this being Thailand, I can just drive to a place and get dinner for two for under $10 USD. That said, the quality of the food and prices for dinner at Zest are good enough to keep us coming back. I'm not sure why Zest is a good 25-50% cheaper than Azure, but I'll take it.

Anyway, some spa time coming up and plenty more vacation to be had. Will reply to this thread with any further updates. Bottom line, LOVING it here so far!

​​​​

​​​​​
Thanks for a great report! Glad you are having a great time! And I'm glad to see a post from someone looking for different things, yet still enjoying the Conrad KS (it appears to me from reading your report, enjoying it as much as we did!).

Loved 316! I would definitely request that villa if we went back. And as you mentioned, having someone like Amy and/or Felix providing incredible service makes a huge difference.

Good to know renting and car to explore KS is easily doable for those interested. We chose KS, and specifically the Conrad KS for a quiet get away since we were hitting the sightseeing pretty hard in Singapore for four days before KS, and then 5 days in Bangkok. So the 6 nights at the Conrad KS was meant to be quiet (other than the day we rented the Blue Dragon and a half day at the elephant sanctuary). For those that want to stay mostly on campus like we did, the food options were plenty. And yes, compared to going off campus, the food was much more expensive. But since we dined mostly at the Conrad, we thought the prices were fair. Honestly, we even considered doing Jahn two nights, but decided against it since we we didn't want to make the time to "get pretty" for Jahn. hahaha

Enjoy the rest of your stay! Say hi to Minnie for us if you see her at Zest!
flyingmusicianlax likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the review. I agree with some of what you wrote, but regarding the beach I am surprised you find it great, and even bolded. Great relative to where except Hawaii? For Koh Samui specifically, I cannot imagine that the beach at Conrad would be considered a strong point relative to Conrad's competitors. For hotels in this price range, the beach at Vana Belle (Luxury Collection) is far superior to Conrad and I would also pick W and Banyan Tree ahead of Conrad despite their own beaches not being that fantastic to begin with.

In fact Conrad was aware of its subpar beach (by local standards) such that they used to offer a shuttle boat to bring guests to an offsite beach to compensate for their weakness. I don't know if that boat is still available.
I'm not personally aware of the other properties' beaches in KS. When we were here 10 years ago, we stayed at Mimosa on the N side of the island (which was amazing, outstanding for the price point, though not in the same league as Conrad), and later at the Coral Cove Chalet (which is more of a 2.5 or 3 star). Mimosa had a beautiful beach but very narrow, Coral Cove was stunning but the beach was so rocky it was essentially non-traversible.

As to the larger point about Conrad's beach being subpar, to each their own, I guess. It's an unbelievable view, the water is clear, the sand is white and fine. You can walk about a quarter mile from the beach to the pier. I'm not sure what else there is to do unless you really want to swim a long way in the ocean? As for just wading in and enjoying yourself, I remarked earlier that it's pretty easy. You can also do water sports, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, etc. For us, it's more than enough.
tinkerbell78 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:38 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Reading threads on the SLH property Cape Fahn, RC, Vana Belle, Conrad (which I have considered or booked) and having been to the W, it seems the consensus is that the VB has the best beach on property.

Despite staying on USM for ten days we're going to try a few resorts because they all have different strong points.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:57 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
As to the larger point about Conrad's beach being subpar, to each their own, I guess. It's an unbelievable view, the water is clear, the sand is white and fine. You can walk about a quarter mile from the beach to the pier. I'm not sure what else there is to do unless you really want to swim a long way in the ocean? As for just wading in and enjoying yourself, I remarked earlier that it's pretty easy. You can also do water sports, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, etc. For us, it's more than enough.
Well it is clear from your review that you had a great time and enjoyed the beach There is no denying that. But I think for the benefit of other readers, some should be aware that your opinion might be a bit in the minority because compared to other beaches in KS it would possibly not be rated near the top. Among the advantages that you mention regarding the beach, the easiest for me to comment on would be water being clear. Depending on the month of the year you go to KS, the water on that side of KS will have the most algae and can be unpleasant.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Reading threads on the SLH property Cape Fahn, RC, Vana Belle, Conrad (which I have considered or booked) and having been to the W, it seems the consensus is that the VB has the best beach on property.
I have stayed at all those 5 resorts and count me among those who would vote VB as #1 for the beach on those listed above.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by escape4

I have stayed at all those 5 resorts and count me among those who would vote VB as #1 for the beach on those listed above.
Hence why I often follow your advice!
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:20 am

So we needed to change out dates and The Royal Villa is only available for some nights.

I was looking at the W, VB or RC, but it looks like the Residences might be the best option?

Our requirements:
  • Ocean View Suite
  • Separate Living and Bedroom
  • Private Pool with Ocean View
I'm about to book the 2-Bedroom Panoramic Ocean View Pool Villa (although we're just a couple) on the Conrad 4th night free offer, but want to know if these are part of the hotel or considered separate? Will we notice any difference in the guest experience in terms of check in/check out, in room dining etc?

The dedicated living space with Ocean views looks perfect for what we are after.

It seems others have stayed at Cape Fahn followed by The Conrad as well.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:59 am

Just check in with the reservation team at conrad and was told that Amy is not longer working with them anymore.
Was told there are only Kim, Felix and Jack as host now.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: all
…….quote

Last edited by curiositykillsacat; Sep 15, 2022 at 7:51 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:36 pm
G4L

Sorry, one more thing. If you are in need of laundry service (which we were since our trip was for 19 nights total -- including travel time), there is a laundromat that you can drop off laundry and they will wash and fold. 1 kg costs 100 THB (around 3 dollars). SUPER CHEAP. The more delicate / expensive stuff, we had the Conrad wash (just a few items) but the rest of our stuff we used the local service and it was fine!

If you have a car, obviously it's an option. We didn't have a car, but Amy offered to drop off and pick up for us!! Like I said, Amy was an amazing host!

What's the name of the laundromat and is it close to the hotel? Also, did you do any excursions like island hopping/snorkeling? Any recommendations on which company I should check for these excursions?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:37 pm
G4L

What's the name of the laundromat and is it close to the hotel? Also, did you do any excursions like island hopping/snorkeling? Any recommendations on which company I should check for these excursions?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:38 pm
G4L

Laundromat name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.