Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone know if you can confirm a 200-level villa upgrade in advance with cash, and then possibly get a 300-level villa as a Diamond upgrade?

One possibility is that there may be 4 of us in total. The 100's appear to only sleep 3, whereas the 200's list 4 as capacity. (Two teenagers - they aren't picky about where they sleep.)
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
One possibility is that there may be 4 of us in total. The 100's appear to only sleep 3, whereas the 200's list 4 as capacity. (Two teenagers - they aren't picky about where they sleep.)
100, 200, and 300's are physically 100% identical.

The sofa is large enough for an adult to sleep on, admittedly not very comfortably.
I have also been offered a folding bed once when sharing a villa with a friend I don't share a bed with, and who found the sofa too hard on a previous stay (actually ended up in a 2 bedroom as a repeat diamond, but that was under Lyle Lewis' brief tenure prior to his recent retirement - a great GM who understood that a pleased customer can be more profitable long-term).
So any villa can accommodate 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

What I would do is to email them and ask the cost for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit. Those are really nice, and would make for a 5* holiday for your whole family; the living room upstairs, kitchenette, garden, and 2.5 bathrooms add a ton of living space, and the cash difference between 1 and 2 bedrooms is not that great (~dinner for 2 in the Maldives ), especially now with the ongoing sale (you could use that delta as a reference for an eventual counteroffer). The reservation department is very responsive.

Last edited by monahos; Mar 13, 2019 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:29 am

Booked for 2 nights in 100-level villa, one using free night cert, one using points. I am Diamond. Online Check-in gives me an upgrade to 300-level. Choice of 301, 308 and 310. Any opinion on which one is best?

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by sarahluv
but i can't quite believe the complete lack of vegetarian options at all of the restaurants!
Being a vegetarian in Thailand is never easy unless you have a good grasp of the language. Most thai dishes contain fish sauce. I find myself reverting to pescatarian when I visit Thailand, as its way too much hassle.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by pc_aus
Choice of 301, 308 and 310. Any opinion on which one is best?
301 will be the most private, as it is the last in a dead end, has nothing overlooking it, and overlooks a dead end.
I have only stayed one time in a low (20x) numbered villa and preferred those in the teens or twenties as they seem to have more separation, but am not familiar with 3ox villas.

308 has a small grove on one side, so more private than average. Easy walking distance to breakfast without the need to call a buggy.
Possibly slightly less quiet as it is at the beginning of, and overlooks the beginning of a long path serving many 200's.

310 is between two other villas, but may have the widest horizon and be on highest ground.

Really not a bad choice among them (which is one of the CKS's main advantages vs. other aspirational resort Conrads). The only one in half a dozen stays I felt was slightly inferior was a 20x.
MaldivesFreak likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:32 am

Thanks Monahos for the super fast and detailed tips.

301 looks like the pick.

is there any downside to do OLCI in terms of chance of even better room assignment?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:26 am

is there any downside to do OLCI in terms of chance of even better room assignment?
I have never tried OLCI at this property. My two upgrades beyond retreat villas were last minute surprises (they did show online late morning on the day of arrival though); I was explicitly told that they were for repeat guests.

I think 301 will be a great starting point, and worth locking in.
The 2 bedroom units are perfect for families and friends, but IMHO too spread out (over 2 levels) for a couple not tired of seeing each other.
The royal villa seems best used as a social center in conjunction with friends/family staying in the adjacent normal villa (IIRC there is an usually locked private gate between them), as its main asset, besides the XL swimming pool and privacy, are large living/dining rooms with a staff kitchen/entrance. Its views are not the best, as the rocks in front of it make the nearby waters appear less blue.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by monahos
What I would do is to email them and ask the cost for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit. Those are really nice, and would make for a 5* holiday for your whole family; the living room upstairs, kitchenette, garden, and 2.5 bathrooms add a ton of living space, and the cash difference between 1 and 2 bedrooms is not that great (~dinner for 2 in the Maldives ), especially now with the ongoing sale (you could use that delta as a reference for an eventual counteroffer). The reservation department is very responsive.
Thanks for the info - very helpful. If we decide to bring the kids, I'll definitely try this - but it's good to know that the units can handle 4 no matter what.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:14 pm

I have never tried OLCI at this property. My two upgrades beyond retreat villas were last minute surprises (they did show online late morning on the day of arrival though); I was explicitly told that they were for repeat guests.

I think 301 will be a great starting point, and worth locking in.
The 2 bedroom units are perfect for families and friends, but IMHO too spread out (over 2 levels) for a couple not tired of seeing each other.
The royal villa seems best used as a social center in conjunction with friends/family staying in the adjacent normal villa (IIRC there is an usually locked private gate between them), as its main asset, besides the XL swimming pool and privacy, are large living/dining rooms with a staff kitchen/entrance. Its views are not the best, as the rocks in front of it make the nearby waters appear less blue.
OLCI-ed and locked in 301. As a first timer, we are highly unlikely going to be offered the royal or 2BR.

Last edited by pc_aus; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond

OLCI-ed and locked in 301. As a first timer, we are highly unlikely going to be offered the royal or 2BR.
We have stayed in 301 on both trips.

It is a great location, with plenty of privacy and walk able to most facilities (depending on fitness). We only called a buggy to Jahn or the Spa.

I hope you enjoy your stay.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Based on what you're saying I would probably stay away from the Conrad Koh Samui. If you enjoyed Phuket, then I would give the Conrad Bali a try, assuming the renovations are complete and/or minimized by the time you're planning to visit. The Conrad Bali has several very large pools flowing throughout the resort, very family friendly, multiple restaurants on-site with lots more within short walking distance. Plus it's Bali, so there's no shortage of stuff to do.

The CKS is in an entirely different league, a much nicer, more intimate, adult-centric resort, and also much more expensive by a magnitude of several times. While families are certainly not un-welcome, it's definitely more of a honeymoon/couples/adult spot, meant for lounging in your villa, relaxing, admiring the views, and eating at the nice (expensive) restaurants. The "beach" at CKS is largely a no-go, man made, rocky, etc. Honestly you'd end up spending 3-4x what you would in Bali and your kids would probably get bored by the 2nd day .
Thank you for your input!
I actually ended up ruling out Koh Samui after finding out that Nov is the worst time of the year to go in terms of weather and possibility of rain.
But your comments are helpful for future purpose, for sure. And it's a bummer that the beach there is man-made and not worth the time.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:21 am

I know that WA Maldives isn't open yet but I'm having a hard time deciding between CKS and WA Maldives for a trip with wife in July from India. Anyone have some good reasons to share to pick CKS over the other one?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:16 am

My review

I stayed at the CKS recently and here is my detailed review
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:47 am

Both happen during Lyle's shift?

And thanks for your excellent advice on the 300s. I'll link to that in the wiki.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Both happen during Lyle's shift?
The upgrade to the royal villa was pre-Lyle, but was an outlier as the hotel was at 100% occupancy and I was on a short stay which must have matched its vacancy; I was left with the impression this was handled by the Thai reservation manager. IIRC it was my fourth stay there.
I never met the previous GM (saw him last year at the Rangali being, er, selective about guests he would approach), in contrast to Lyle who was available to all. It is under his watch the CKS became my favorite Hilton property, one of the few with no 'why am I here?' rooms, plus personalized, friendly, discreet, thoughtful, but not fawning service, just the way I like it. Here is hoping that mindset survived his retirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.