Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The "Biscuits and Gravy at Honors Properties -- Best and Worst" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Biscuits and Gravy at Honors Properties -- Best and Worst" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
GJT Grand Junction, Colorado Airport DoubleTree, the biscuits on the breakfast buffet had properties resembling something between a deck shuffleboard weighted disc and a hockey puck.

Possibly they were better way before my 10:50am dining experience. I just had the chef whip me something else instead.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Hampton Inn, Clackamas (Portland), Oregon
https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/ho...LHX/index.html

Biscuits clearly from the truck and a day too old. Gravy thin and watery with little flavor and no discernible sausage chunks. Gravy on too low a heat and cools too rapidly.

Grade D
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
The Curtis, A Doubletree Hotel, Denver, Co.
Diamond members receive vouchers for any breakfast entree. The biscuits with gravy and eggs was an amazingly delicious dish!
DELee likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Troubadour Hotel in New Orleans had fantastic biscuits and gravy. Too bad they got rid of the breakfast buffet, b/c that was one of the best breakfast deals I've had at a Hilton property.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Hilton Garden Inn, Fargo, North Dakota

Was happy to see this on the Saturday morning breakfast specials (this HGI does breakfast more nicely than some).

Lots of actual sausage bits, gravy was a bit thin, a little on the bland side. But in a nice touch, the biscuits were split and toasted on the griddle before the dish was served; nicely kept them from getting too soggy.

Grade B
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
An un-advertised benefit for Diamonds at the Bellevue, WA Hilton is comped breakfast in the restaurant as a lounge alternative. Today featured Biscuits and Gravy, which was outstanding (as far as someone raised in New Jersey could tell anyway).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

One of the worst yet...

Hilton Garden Inn, St. Paul/Oakdale MN

Biscuits were like hockey pucks.

Gravy thin and flavorless with few discernible bits of sausage.

Grade D
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Hampton Inn, Clackamas (Portland), Oregon
https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/ho...LHX/index.html

Biscuits clearly from the truck and a day too old. Gravy thin and watery with little flavor and no discernible sausage chunks. Gravy on too low a heat and cools too rapidly.

Grade D
A better effort on a stay earlier this week; biscuits were not stale at all and the gravy was a better consistency (although still not thick enough). Better flavor although still fairly bland.

Grade: C+
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
FCA (Flathead County Airport aka Glacier Park International) Hilton Garden Inn of Kalispell, Montana...

The biscuits and gravy were awful, tiny biscuits and horrible, all taupe color watery substance.

At least they had real fresh sliced fruit and Cheerios.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Hampton Inn, Miami OK

Tasteless, gelatinous gravy. Biscuits ok for commercial.

Grade D+
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Not sure if anyone mentioned this upthread somewhere but fwiw, if you're getting biscuits and gravy from a limited service brand, almost guaranteed they're sourcing the biscuits (frozen) and gravy (canned) from the same place with Sysco. The only thing I'm aware of that has changed with this in past ten years or so was that food items at one time did or could come from US Foods.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Interesting....

The b&g (especially the gravy) is SO much better at Holiday Inn Express. I wonder if they buy from a different supplier?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Interesting....

The b&g (especially the gravy) is SO much better at Holiday Inn Express. I wonder if they buy from a different supplier?
I would assume so but at the end of the day, there are only so many commercial suppliers a chain property is going to be allowed to buy from unless they're going to go rogue and source things from non-approved places which you can do, but you had better hope that corporate can't see your F&B purchases or that you really know when your QA audits are.

Another factor which can't be overlooked is how the b&g prepared. In a perfect world, the biscuits would be defrosted the day prior versus going straight from the freezer right in to the oven. Some people like to literally water down the gravy because of course it'll make more. Some properties will buy a gravy that doesn't have sausage in it for the obvious cost reasons. Just like the oven temperature matters since you're cooking multiple things in there at the same time (i.e. scrambled eggs, omelets, bacon, french toast sticks, the sausage gravy, etc.) and not all of them should be cooked at the same temperature which means some are going to get overdone while others are underdone but since you only have a single oven, there's not much you can do about that. Also some breakfast attendants like to make huge batches of food when they first get in and then keep it in the warmer for hours until it's needed. Eating a b&g at 9:45am that's been in the warmer since before 6am is going to definitely taste worse than getting something that was freshly rendered. The other big, big, no-no is that at the end of breakfast all leftovers are supposed to be pitched but some properties will keep the leftovers and then reuse it the next day or day after and mix it in with that day's fresh stuff.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by The Road Goes On Forever; Mar 26, 2023 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I don't recall the last time I actually saw sausage in a the gravy at a Hilton chain property. I would call what I am used to seeing "pepper gravy."
cblaisd likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I don't recall the last time I actually saw sausage in a the gravy at a Hilton chain property. I would call what I am used to seeing "pepper gravy."
It would not surprise me if they chose a product that didn't have pork, given that a lot of people don't eat pork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.