Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge City Centre {GBR}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge City Centre {GBR}

Hide Wikipost
Old May 15, 17, 10:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge
Granta Place Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1RT, United Kingdom
TEL: 44-1223-259988; FAX: 44-1223-316605
Parking: Self parking: £18.50 (180 Spaces); Valet: £18.50 (Valet Available)
Check-in 3 PM; check-out 12 noon
NONSMOKING property, no pets.

(new) Hilton HHonors award category: 8

DoubleTree Cambridge (U.K.) Trip Reports and Reviews thread

Close by the River Cam, nearly next door to University of Cambridge. About 1.5 miles from main Cambridge rail station. Link to Google Map of area. (Updated June 2013)

Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge
Granta Place Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1RT, United Kingdom
TEL: 44-1223-259988; FAX: 44-1223-316605
Parking: Self parking: £19.50 (180 Spaces); Valet: £19.50 (Valet Available)
Check-in 3 PM; check-out 12 noon
NONSMOKING property, no pets.

(new) Hilton HHonors award category: 8

Close by the River Cam, close to some University of Cambridge colleges. About 1.5 miles from main Cambridge rail station. Link to Google Map of area.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 03, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge City Centre {GBR}

I've been having trouble searching online for a property near Cambridge University (though one reference in this thread. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 03, 5:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K-SFO:
I've been having trouble searching online for a property near Cambridge University (though one reference in this thread. Any ideas? Thanks.</font>
I don't think there are any Hiltion properties nearby (unless you consider STN "near").

If you are coming for the General Admission then you probably need to hurry as it gets quite busy here around that time. The largest centrally located hotels are probably the Garden House Moat House, the University Arms and the Crowne Plaza.

Old Apr 3, 08, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge (U.K.)

First of the Doubletrees outside N. America? Was the Cambridge Garden House and just started as a Doubletree yesterday.

http://www.hilton.de/cambridgegarden..._id=1166710970
http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/...HBNQCSGBI1MVCQ
Old Apr 6, 08, 3:03 pm
cjd

Yes, just noticed this advertised in the UK press yesterday. Looks like it's the rebranded Cambridge Garden House Moat House Hotel. First UK Doubletree hotel. Is this the first outside of the US?
Old Dec 21, 08, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Well, anyone stay here yet?
Old Sep 14, 09, 1:12 pm

BUMP!

Planning a short stay this weekend.

Anyone with experience of this hotel?
Old Feb 17, 10, 6:02 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jul 3, 10 at 6:56 pm
Old Apr 5, 10, 1:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Property Report from early April 2010

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
bump. looking for experiences at this property, will be here in April.
We just stayed last week, when the students were on their spring break, which actually was a nice time to visit as Cambridge overall wasn't very crowded.^

As cjd mentions, this is the former Cambridge Garden House Moat House Hotel property, so it is not your usual cookie cutter Hilton brand hotel format.

The hotel is on the River Cam at the end of a dead end street. A nice property, very quiet.

The property is a few blocks walk to King’s Chapel and other sights of Cambridge. So no need for your car. Parking was £17.50 per day with in/out privileges.

The breakfast buffet which was £14.45 per person. The buffet is a great spread, lots of different breakfast proteins (two types of sausages as well as lox & some cold cuts), delicious scrambled eggs (my guess was they used a touch of cream), sautéed mushrooms to die for, lots of breads, crisp/flaky pastries, cereal, cheeses, yogurt, juices, coffee/tea as well as some typical English breakfast items such as tomatoes & black pudding.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Feb 27, 11 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 5, 13, 8:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Silver, HH D, BA Silver
DoubleTree Cambridge (U.K.) Trip Reports and Reviews

I realise that this thread is over two years old but it seems a shame to create a new one when the information is still relevant...MODS, please move if you feel otherwise.

Pictorial review of Doubletree Cambridge, UK.

View from Balcony left by BA_pics, on Flickr

Haven't seen a review of this property for some time so thought I would check it out as I happened to be visiting in the area.

Location: Excellent, once you get here. A bit tricky trying to get the sat nav to find the place without using roads that are closed to all but buses! I would suggest going via The Fen Causeway A1134 until you cross the river Cam and then at the T junction turn left onto Trumpington Street and then turn left again into Mill Lane and then follow it around once you hit the water again to the left into Granta Place (which is a dead end street ending at the Doubletree car park). There are no sign posts for the Doubletree that I could see but easy enough once you knew what to look for. The speed limit is 20 mile an hour and there are quite a few pedestrians as well as cyclists on these fairly narrow roads so do drive slowly.

The signs say to park at the entrance if you are a car driver but ignore that unless you have some heavy luggage to unload first. Drive around to behind the Doubletree and enter the car park (take a ticket at the barrier). The car park seemed quite large and is used by locals wanting to walk along the river and use the gym in the Doubletree. For hotel guests the rate is now £ 13.50 / day with in/out privileges.

King Bed by BA_pics, on Flickr

Check in: Quick and friendly check in done at the small desk by the entrance. Diamond recognition and welcome given, along with DT cookie. Wi-Fi is via swisscom and requires a credit card sized access pass they give you (for diamonds and golds)…they did ask how many devices I had so I assume you could get as many passes as you needed.

There are elevators and I received the room I had booked which was a King bed river view with private balcony. They did give me a room on the top floor and away from the elevators so I did appreciate that.

view from balcony right by BA_pics, on Flickr

The building is definitely an older one and has seen better days but once you get into the rooms the views and the location are worth it. Prices are quite expensive in Cambridge as a rule I find so the price is high but not much higher than other locations IMO.

The Room: The room is quite small and definitely is only for two people (no room for a roll away bed here). The room is air conditioned which is nice if it does get too hot for you (this is England though so that is not all too likely or too often )

Small but nice balcony by BA_pics, on Flickr

There is a fairly big wardrobe area with a room safe, bathrobes and slippers as well as the usual place to hang things up. An extra blanket and pillow are also here along with the ironing board and iron. I had enough room to use the luggage stand in the wardrobe area as well.

Wardrobe area and safe by BA_pics, on Flickr

Wardrobe area by BA_pics, on Flickr

The bathroom is modern and done quite nicely. I am not a fan of shower curtains which they use here. The water pressure on the 3rd floor was not the best but sufficient.

Bathroom 3 by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom 2 by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom 1 by BA_pics, on Flickr

The view from the room towards the river Cam as well as out on the balcony is stunning and worth the price alone. There are some very nice outdoor tables on the lawn of the hotel if you don't have such a room where you can still enjoy the view and people watch.

View to river Cam from inside by BA_pics, on Flickr

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking and hope this review helps others in the future.

View back to entrance by BA_pics, on Flickr

Entrance into room view by BA_pics, on Flickr

desk water and fruit by BA_pics, on Flickr

I would recommend this place and come back and stay here in the warmer months personally but likely go to a different hotel in winter when the balcony and weather were cold.
Old Jun 5, 13, 11:17 am

Programs: F
I am becoming a regular here and I like it. Great location: no other hotel has a lawn down onto the Cam.

Friendly helpful staff, always had an upgrade as Gold and had free breakfast comped for a third guest in a second room at our last stay. Free mini bottles of wine in the room, nuts, drinks vouchers.

The lawn is a great place to have a drink and relax in the afternoon in spring and summer whilst watching punting shenanigans (this is not the main punting section of the Cam - this is the bit where students set off for Grantchester, sometimes taking their punts up and down the rollers opposite.) Smallish pool in the leisure centre with somewhat primitive changing rooms and showers.

The Doubletree is probably the most expensive Cambridge centre hotel though.
Old Jun 28, 13, 11:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
DoubleTree Cambridge (U.K.) Trip Reports and Reviews

BotB, great photos! Thanks so much for sharing!

It looks like...

● Riverside Brasserie for dining (6:30 AM (7 weekends) - 10 PM - link) and Twist Bar

● LivingWell Health Club includes indoor pool, sauna, cardio and resistance machines.

Getting a start with this, as I have a four night stay mid-July I will post a trip report on. Somewhat nearby is the Imperial War Museum Duxford - an amazing air museum with everything from WW II (and previous) to a huge collection of US military and another of commercial aircraft (and even some flights in various aircraft, including a De Havilland DH-89 Dragon Rapide). My first ancestor to the US was a Cantab, MDiv - before he parted ways with the Anglicans and spent two years in the Clink and Newgate prisons as a result, a powerful incentive to move to America - eventually settled in Barnstable, MA.

Report coming soon...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 1, 13 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:09 pm

Programs: F
Probably the most expensive hotel in Cambridge, but it has a great riverside location and nice garden from which you can watch the punting. 100% success with an upgrade from the basic room as a Gold so far, with drinks vouchers and a small bottle of wine and some nuts in the room. Expensive parking, but then all city centre Cambridge is expensive. (They comped this once, perhaps by accident.)

Decent rates for CAMcard holders, who also get 25% off F&B on the bar and restaurant. Really nice pizzas from the bar (e.g. duck)
Old Jun 28, 13, 1:01 pm
cjd

Two recent good reviews of this hotel by BotB and redshift27 may be of use to you. See the last two posts of this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...cambridge.html

Last edited by cjd; Jun 28, 13 at 11:10 pm
Old Jun 28, 13, 8:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks!

I've asked the mods to merge and retitle so the U.K. is included in the title.

Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Two recent good reviews of this hotel by BotB and redshift27 may be of use to you. See the last two posts of this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...cambridge.html

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 29, 13 at 6:32 am Reason: correct typo
Old Jun 29, 13, 12:46 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Have to agree that this property is very expensive. I wouldn't mind staying at a Hilton on my frequent trips to Cambridge, but it's difficult to justify when it's often 50-100% more expensive than comparable properties.

Cambridge doesn't have a single 'great' hotel, so competition is thin, admittedly. Location is pretty good, but no better than many other city centre Cambridge hotels.

If travelling by car, a short-stay flat makes far, far more sense (if paying oneself), due to parking charges alluded to above -- and many of their locations are superb.

tb

Search this Thread
Search Engine: