Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

No tips to maid = no Honors points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Being a European I must admit that I often forget to put tips to the maid when leaving a hotel room.

When we sat on the plane bac to Europe, we got to talk about that we should have left some tips for the maid... We stayed for 10 nights. But this is too late. I could call the hotel to charge me for tips, but I must admit I don't know where these money will go.

I checked out about 7days ago, and my points still havn't shown on my account. The eFolio already shows on my account.

Could it be, that the points hasn't been credited my account, because I didn't tip the maids? - I may be way out... Just want to hear your comments.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
No way. You'll get points no matter whether you tipped the maid or not, trust me on this.

Just wait a few more days and if it's not posted, call the HH phone number.

JP
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
I'm curious

what logic equated miles/points to tipping (or lack there of) the maid?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, AA
Daily Tip

As a side note, it is more considerate and better appreciated to leave a small daily tip for house keeping each day you are there. If you stayed for ten days, the same person did not clean your room each day.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Am sitting here folding my head in shame.

Looks like I missed out on some basic social education here. What would you consider to be a reasonable daily tip?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgagne
what logic equated miles/points to tipping (or lack there of) the maid?
It was just a thought I got... As I said, I may be way out... and it seems I am... sorry...

Thanks for all the input. The idea og daily tip has been noted
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero

Looks like I missed out on some basic social education here. What would you consider to be a reasonable daily tip?
At least here in the states, I think that the rule of thumb is USD 2.00/person/day, assuming, of course, that you received decent service from housekeeping.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold

I think a buck a day is a good place to start, more if you've asked for extra towels, etc.

Here's how to do it: http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecr...hotel_maid.htm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:04 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Funny I was thinking a similar thought about a recent stay at the Hilton Suites in Anaheim, CA. I was there for three nights at the end of January. I admit I don't leave housekeeping tips that often. A lot of my stays recently have been with HGVC properties, where there is no daily housekeeping. I actually prefer not to have anyone in my room. And most of the time I just don't think about it when I'm in a rush to check out (which I always am).

So, there is this little card that is on the desk with something like "hi I am (fill in the blank) and will be taking care of your housekeeping needs." To me this says, "Hi, I am ****, please tip me!". Well, I noticed that on the second day it was pushed out on to the edge of the desk, like in a blatantly obvious place. This just made me laugh. She also did one thing that really annoyed me; on the last morning before checkout at about 9am (check out is 11a), she bangs on the door, yells "housekeeping" and starts to come in. And this is with the "do not disturb" sign on the door! And I hate when they knock and start coming in in like the same action... without even waiting for an answer! What's up with that?

Anyway, I didn't leave a tip in the room. Well a couple days later, I notice on my credit card, immediately after the room charge (which matched the e-folio amount exactly), there was a $5.00 charge from the same hotel. I called up the hotel and spoke with the front desk. He told me it was a "mini bar" charge. I told him... there aren't even "mini-bars" in your hotel!? It's an all-suite hotel (like ES) and each room has a mini-fridge, but they're all empty!

Then he said "It's for the bottle of Fiji water that you drank." I said "There WAS no Fiji water in the room." (I didn't even see it there). Besides, I was given two bottles of water for my stay as a HHGold (there was a card included). I don't, and wouldn't have used any bottle of Fiji water. He said, ok.. I'll take care of it. He credited the $5 back to my Visa and my e-folio was also updated.

What immediately occured to me, however, is the fact that they would have gotten the info on the "missing water" from the housekeeper. It's totally conceivable to me that she was annoyed at no tip so she decided to report a mini-bar charge out of spite.

But I agree, there is no way housekeeping would have access to your HHonors activity.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
to the OP, there is no connection between tipping and whether or not your points credited for your stay.

Regarding an appropriate tip, I think it depends on where you are. I ust returned from CDG where $5 USD would be laughable. A couple of months ago I stayed at the Embassy Suites Mexico City where a $5 USD tip got me more bottles of water in my hotel room every day, than I could actually drink/use.

Domestic, I'd say $3/day is what I normally tip if I am satisfied with the service.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond

Yeah, you and me both! I didn't realize there was some tipping involved here.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I ust returned from CDG where $5 USD would be laughable.
Really?

I'm heading to Paris this Fall, and on my previous stays there (and elsewhere in Europe), I seldom tipped anyone because (well, according to FT, anyhow), tipping is not especially encouraged in Europe.

So --- what would be an appropriate tip in France (or is it Paris or just CDG in particular)?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
tipping is not especially encouraged in Europe.

You and I must be living in parallel universes...... In my universe, tipping is widely expected.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Tipping, for doing their job?

I'm an American, and travel a LOT. I do NOT tip ( unless I ask for something special like extra towels, etc.. or if I make a mess in the room).

Why should I tip housekeeping for doing their job? Tipping has gotten out of the control here in the US.

Most of the time, I'm in my room at 8 or 9PM. Sleep, then leave by 6 or 7am. I"m not there much, and don't leave a mess.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jerryss
I'm an American, and travel a LOT. I do NOT tip ( unless I ask for something special like extra towels, etc.. or if I make a mess in the room).

Why should I tip housekeeping for doing their job? Tipping has gotten out of the control here in the US.

Most of the time, I'm in my room at 8 or 9PM. Sleep, then leave by 6 or 7am. I"m not there much, and don't leave a mess.
We're rapidly going down a well trodden path to make this like a lot of other tipping threads. Anecdotally, I think that post counts for threads on tipping are only slightly edged out by post counts for threads on fat airline pax...

That said, I agree with you 100%. Gratuities should be for when someone provides a special service -- not for something that is the basic/core/fundamental part of their job. Tipping is out of control in the US and everywhere that sees a ton of tip-happy US tourists.

peace,
~Ben~

Last edited by seoulmanjr; Feb 19, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.