Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad/Hilton in NRT-SIN-BKK-DPS-HKG

Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Hello, I am trying to rack up my hhonors miles as well as maintain my diamond level status - I have a trip coming up to Asia and am looking for feedback on hilton and conrad properties in tokyo (conrad), singapore (hilton), bangkok (both hilton millenium and conrad), bali (conrad) and hong kong (conrad). Is is worth sticking to the brand to maintain status or am I better off staying at other 4/5 star properties under chains such as RC, FS, Hyatt?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:36 am

How committed are you to the Hilton brand? Depending on how many more stays you need to maintain status you could mix and match, or move a few times depending on length of stay.

Our stay at the Conrad in Tokyo was unimpressive. Room was nice, but service was cold and unwelcoming. I did like the location and the view from the room over Hamarikyu and Tokyo Bay. I've been going round and round with Tokyo hotels for an upcoming stay there when my husband's mother visits us, and I think we have settled on the Peninsula. There are lots of great comments on various Tokyo hotels in that thread just a few down the page.

We had two stays in the Conrad Bangkok a couple of years back. It was a huge disappointment for us after several prior excellent stays at the Peninsula. While the service was good, the room was smallish for us, as we needed an extra bed for a child. The pool was ice cold and shady (located on the 7th floor but surrounded by tall buildings)...and the real putoff there was the service - the pool staff ride unicycles to serve guests, and to me, it's weird and a bit demeaning for the staff to have to act like they are in a circus. The spa was excellent one day, and the following day I got the worst massage I'd ever had (therapist actually left the room twice mid massage) Location was not great either.

The Millenium Hilton Bangkok has a nice location on the river upriver from the Peninsula. Minuses might be the small and sparsely decorated rooms and the shuttle boat that only runs every 20 minutes (in contrast, the Peninsula runs 2 - 3 boats constantly so the wait is never more than a minute or two). I met the Thai chef from the Hilton when he was in Nagoya at the Hilton there doing a Thai food promotion...very nice food and great guy.

In Bali, the Conrad is in Tanjung Benoa, just down from Nusa Dua. The beach in front of the Conrad is poor, though their pool is excellent. I much prefer to stay inland in the Ubud area or, if a beach is a must, Seminyak where The Legian is very nice.

In Singapore, I only walked through the Hilton from the Four Seasons, and it looked to have a nice enough lobby area. I like that area of Orchard Road. We loved the FS though, had a fantastic stay there in every way. The only thing I could complain about if I had to complain would be the lack of slick new designy rooms...but I quite liked the older style and homey feeling of the place. It is scheduled for remodeling from March this year, due to be completed by the end of July according to my source.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:50 am

last time in HKG I had a suite & was v impressed with the hotel (esp when looking at rates vs the Pen, FS etc). This is a good luxury hotel & would have no probs staying there again
Old Feb 9, 2008, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your feeback on all of the Hilton properties requested and other suggestions.

Kakjapan, your detailed response is very much appreciated - thank you ^

My 2 week trip starts in less than a month and I'll be sure to let you know how it went for each of my hotel stays......

Can't wait to board SQ first class......

Cheers.

Last edited by mileageking; Feb 9, 2008 at 1:39 pm
Old Feb 9, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1K+
Thank you for your feeback on all of the Hilton properties requested and other suggestions.

Kakjapan, your detailed response is very much appreciated - thank you ^

My 2 week trip starts in less than a month and I'll be sure to let you know how it went for each of my hotel stays......

Can't wait to board SQ first class......

Cheers.
I stay at the Conrad in Singapore and have always been very happy. Nice location, good service and pleasant people. I have been fortunate to be upgraded and the suites were excellent.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Illifan.....I have a quick separate question, I am HH Gold, is there a easy way up promotion you are way to stepup to Diamond?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hilton Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:33 am
Original Poster

That's fantastic - thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Personally I wouldn't bother neither with Conrad nor Millennium Hilton in Bangkok. Both properties will only provide the minimum elite benefits required by Hilton Hhonors. I stayed at the Conrad couple of weeks last year and visited the Hilton as well. Absolutely no need to return.

I am actually right now in Bangkok and so far have had excellent stays on this trip with IC (where I typically stay when in Bangkok) and Plaza Athenee. Will check the other three SPG properties on this trip as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.