Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by mb123
Interesting to see how you value your HH points.
Alone the
4 x RT Seaplane 2360$
4 x Wine Cellar Dinner1400$++
4 x private Dinner at Muraka
have a value of 1m points for me.
Agreed. This is for 4 people. With the dinners and seaplane transfers, I think it looks like value at the current bid of 1.4m points.

It will likely be won by someone US based, as Hilton points are effectively printable over there because of the credit card earning rates and ways of manipulating that to generate points.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:48 am

Alone the
4 x RT Seaplane 2360$
Just went back and read the T&C, you’re right I didn’t realize initially just reading the description this was for 4 people and included sea plane transfers.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Yep I missed that also!!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:42 am

Alone the
4 x RT Seaplane 2360$
Rich kids don't have to earn points so I suppose everyone has a different idea of what they're worth. 1.4mil or not, I guess some sucker (daddy?...or should that be 'sugar daddy', LOL) will end up paying more than 2mil by the time the auction ends, LOL.

And I thought I'd post this pic from the auction as I haven't seen TQZ from this angle before. Nice shot. Shame about the people on the beach though.

Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Removed.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: VA, A3, HH, SQ, EK, CX
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Hi @ozguytim
You will most likely be on the last seaplane or the second to last seaplane. We've taken SQ451 more than 5 times and we've always left on either of those seaplane flights. They will be around 5:30 to 6:30PM island time. You may get a late checkout and the use of your villa until 4 or 5PM (depending on what time the following guests that will be staying in your villa are arriving or whether it might be empty). Request this on arrival or, at the latest, a few days before you depart. You can do anything you like up until 1hr before the seaplane where they will require you to do checkout formalities and you may use the gym showers up until this time if you wish.
Don't take MI481 because, as you say, there's no point in cutting your stay in paradise short!
Took your advice and booked SQ451 a few days ago.
They e-mailed me today with a seat change. Great news - now a 787 flight instead of 330.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Flying QR #744 to QR #672 tonight - requested, assigned and hoping fro a QSuite. Any fellow FT'ers going to be at CR July 13-20 range??
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Just switched my booking from Conrad to WA but not sure if this is a right choice.

I really loved my stay in Conrad SWV thanks to fantastic sunset view with privacy, rich snorkeling point around the main land beach and well-trained staffs. And even the price is very attractive- 95k overwater villa vs 120k beach villa.

Based on one FTer's post re snorkeling at WA, I feel like I might need to go back to Conrad as I really prioritise snorkeling.

Any thought will be highly appreciated!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:33 pm

Conrad's coral is all but dead but there is a ton of marine life. As you probably know from reading the WA thread, there are a couple of fish swimming round and maybe a turtle but that's about it. If you want to see live coral, both resorts are going to be a disappointment however there are excursions you can go on to see it (the Conrad can arrange them and I guess the WA as well but I'm not 100% sure about that). If you are wanting marine life then cross the WA off your list.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:54 pm

Conrad's coral is all but dead but there is a ton of marine life. As you probably know from reading the WA thread, there are a couple of fish swimming round and maybe a turtle but that's about it. If you want to see live coral, both resorts are going to be a disappointment however there are excursions you can go on to see it (the Conrad can arrange them and I guess the WA as well but I'm not 100% sure about that). If you are wanting marine life then cross the WA off your list.
Thanks MF, but I recall Conrad's coral in the beach near BV area facing north in the main island is alive? Surely coral around the smaller island of WV is all dead although I even enjoyed snorkeling even in front of SWV 339 recommended by you!

Well now I think I need to go back to Conrad many thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:11 pm

There is a patch I think but AFAICR it's white and not coloured so nothing to write home about.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:00 pm

As of Easter this year, pretty much ALL coral on both islands is dead.
There is a small patch of struggling coral on the house reef, directly out from Mandoo when you hit the drop off, but that's about it.

If wanting to get there from the channel cut into the reef (from the beach villas) you'd swim out the channel, turn left, keep going when the drop off and reef ends and turns into sand, and eventually reef starts back up again.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:53 pm

There is a patch I think but AFAICR it's white and not coloured so nothing to write home about.
Originally Posted by Cynicor
As of Easter this year, pretty much ALL coral on both islands is dead.
There is a small patch of struggling coral on the house reef, directly out from Mandoo when you hit the drop off, but that's about it.

If wanting to get there from the channel cut into the reef (from the beach villas) you'd swim out the channel, turn left, keep going when the drop off and reef ends and turns into sand, and eventually reef starts back up again.
Thanks all, perhaps I was so stunned by colourful marine life around the house reef near the BV area so I misunderstood the status of the coral oops... I think I have never seen live coral yet.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:58 pm

Dead coral develops lots of algae which fish love to eat, so you often get a lot of marine life still.
have a quick Google of "raja ampat reef colour" and you'll see the difference
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
These areas have more live coral. They consist mainly of brain and cauliflower coral which wasn't as hard hit by the bleaching incident. Unfortunately, these areas are areas are further out and more for experienced snorkelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.