Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Cynicor
No. Cocktail hour has lots of alcohol and you can add the spirit/s of your choice to the mocktails too. Some people take cocktail hours to mean drinks with multiple mixed ingredients while many hotels (esp when free) tend to include single mixers of base spirit (gin and tonic, vodka and orange etc).
There are of course beers and wines and teas too.
Got it, the post above mine threw me off! TY!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Wait... cocktail hour only offers mocktails and no alcohol?
Yes sorry. I saw on previous menus they used to serve cocktails (with alcohol) and mocktails (without alcohol) but now there just seems to be mocktails on the menu. I guess you could ask for them to knock up a mocktail with a spirit to essentially make a cocktail but that's not abundantly obvious as it was before.

Also forgot to add Afternoon Tea was meh. We went the first and second day and didn't bother after that. The iced tea was quite refreshing though.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:26 pm

Very interesting how people differ!

I thought the food was excellent, though I guess if you look a the prices you won't get the value of anywhere else in the world, even Iceland. But if you just take it as relative, all the food is pretty decent I thought (was my third stay over 6 years, and no noticeable decline).
i also thought te afternoon tea was great for what it was. Lots of variety and food constantly replaced with different things. Scones were always nice and so were the sandwiches.
Overall I liked my stay and didn't notice the issues/declines that others have mentioned except for the reef. Highly disappointing coral due to El Niño
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
It's in the wiki, under Current/Future Maintenance/Property Issues
Forgot to mention, we talked with Mr Ito one night regarding the plans, he said they are very aware of the need to update the villas due to the continued and increasing competition, also was asking very pointed questions about the wifi, which was pretty good in the room but out and about it really was poor most of the time. Anyway he said they are planning to redo the OWV on Rangalli next year but did not have a firm date,did not make any mention of the quiet island.
Also a couple interesting facts, 40% of their guests are return customers and historically 8% come from the US but for the last 6 months it has increased to 20%
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:11 pm

Anyone here that flew via Colombo in the past few days or going to fly through Colombo to get home in the near future? Trying to see how the current conditions are. I have a stay coming up here soon. Thanks.

Last edited by cruisingmickey; Apr 30, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:28 pm

Anyone considering not going to the Maldives based on what happened in Sri Lanka?

https://nypost.com/2019/04/28/terror...ations-report/

I would not consider myself an alarmist, and realize we have seen far more terror attacks in Europe. But seems concerning just the same.

Thoughts?
TD
Old May 1, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Anyone here that flew via Colombo in the past few days or going to fly through Colombo to get home in the near future? Trying to see how the current conditions are. I have a stay coming up here soon. Thanks.
I'm flying through CMB to get to CGK next weekend and I have no plans to change. Reports currently are that the army are a visible presence in the airport but things are flowing normally.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
What’s this about a dengue outbreak in the Maldives - somebody posted on the WA thread that they are cancelling their stay for next March (for the WA).
Old May 1, 2019, 10:08 am

Seaplane hours say 1600 cutoff, although I've read here that some flights that arrive at 1630 still transfer by seaplane. Is this correct? Does the cutoff vary by season/sunset times?
Old May 1, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by JRV62
Also a couple interesting facts, 40% of their guests are return customers and historically 8% come from the US but for the last 6 months it has increased to 20%
Interesting info. Just a question. The 8% is 8% of all guests or 8% of regulars?
Would also be interesting to know how those figures change at different times of the year.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by dcht
Seaplane hours say 1600 cutoff, although I've read here that some flights that arrive at 1630 still transfer by seaplane. Is this correct? Does the cutoff vary by season/sunset times?
No changes on this cutoff. How many posts have you seen with someone landing at 1630 and making the seaplane? I think there might have been only one in the last 5 years and that was probably a special case. Perhaps they didn't have a reservation at a local hotel for that night, the seaplane was running late and they managed to get on the last flight.
Whatever the reason, I wouldn't plan for it. In all likelihood you'll be on a local flight and check in at 0100 or 0200 if you get there after 1600 and I seriously doubt TMA would agree to schedule you for a seaplane ride that day anyway.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
What’s this about a dengue outbreak in the Maldives - somebody posted on the WA thread that they are cancelling their stay for next March (for the WA).
I can see some news articles about it. We left Rangali 12 days ago. The last 3 days my husband was very ill with high fever, extreme fatigue, muscle and joint pain etc and on the flight back, my child also developed high fever. The island doc asked us to watch out for a red rash and swollen gums but they didn't get those. However, the symptoms were very severe and what have been written for Zika/Dengue. Took them straight to the hospital from the airport but they said viral. No blood tests etc. Took my husband 10 days to get back to some sort of normality and my child still has fever after 12 days. He's been to A&E and GP twice but it's the same diagnosis - viral. I'd say it's the worst kind of viral but even for Dengue, you just have to manage symptoms as there is no vacccinaton. I'd say if you have health issues, have a think about it while the cases are high. If you are normally healthy and have good immunity, hopefully you will be okay or will recover after a period if you catch something.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Interesting info. Just a question. The 8% is 8% of all guests or 8% of regulars?
Would also be interesting to know how those figures change at different times of the year.
8% of all guests, sorry did not make that clear, he was asking me why the numbers might be higher, my only answers is it may be a millennial thing, the past 2 years Iceland has been the rage with them, maybe they are venturing out to something new. I told him to look at his demographics and see what age range has increased the most be he said he did not have that kind of information which I find a little hard to believe.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62
8% of all guests, sorry did not make that clear, he was asking me why the numbers might be higher, my only answers is it may be a millennial thing, the past 2 years Iceland has been the rage with them, maybe they are venturing out to something new. I told him to look at his demographics and see what age range has increased the most be he said he did not have that kind of information which I find a little hard to believe.
Outside of scanning passports and manually adding it up, how would he? I do find it interesting that only 8% are American as on my trip it appeared to be much higher than that. Likely due to the time of year, as I have seen comments before on the demographics and some weeks it seems mainlanders make up a good portion of the occupancy.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Outside of scanning passports and manually adding it up, how would he? I do find it interesting that only 8% are American as on my trip it appeared to be much higher than that. Likely due to the time of year, as I have seen comments before on the demographics and some weeks it seems mainlanders make up a good portion of the occupancy.
It's not as simple as guests check in, present a passport. From there, download all guest registrations data for x period, and sort by passport country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.