Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
We have had it twice on two separate visits. The second time was more for the experience (this time with another couple we met on the island), not because the fondue itself was that great the first time.

On both occasions I think the texture was not quite right and I can definitely make a better fondue at home. But for those that are not used to it from regularly making / eating it at home, it will definitively be an interesting novelty. The location / setting is really nice* and it I think the price is reasonable for what you get.

*having said that, other guest can ruin the experience. The second time, we had the room to ourselves (two couples and one child), but the first time we were in the company of some rather loud russians who did not know how to behave. Eventually they started ordering in pizza and fries from Rangali bar and started dipping the fries into the fondue pot with their fingers...

Last edited by goliath; Apr 27, 2019 at 4:35 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:13 am

Pretty sure you can customise it a little if you tell them what you like. At least that's what he told us when we were having it last week. And I don't remember all the cheese but o think emmental was in there too?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:20 am

Right, Emmental(er) was the second one.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:23 am

Yes, you can most certainly customise it.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:08 am

Does the Rangali bar show any NFL games? I think the early games would be on at 11pm Rangali time.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:13 am

There is only one screen with a projector at Rangali bar, and it is only on every now and then. The only thing I have ever seen on were European football (soccer) games (and that in a bad quality).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
*having said that, other guest can ruin the experience. The second time, we had the room to ourselves (two couples and one child), but the first time we were in the company of some rather loud russians who did not know how to behave. Eventually they started ordering in pizza and fries from Rangali bar and started dipping the fries into the fondue pot with their fingers...
One deserving a capital 'R' and the other not. I like it! ^
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by AICML

You should compain to Hilton head office. They will surely send a ton of points your way
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:46 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dcht
Does the Rangali bar show any NFL games? I think the early games would be on at 11pm Rangali time.
It would depend if there is a satellite station they can get that broadcasts NFL games. I think Star Sports is the main sports channel in the region. I was there during the world cup, so we had soccer each day. They would turn on the projector if you asked.
I have not seen too many channels carry NFL games outside of the Americas
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by soy
It would depend if there is a satellite station they can get that broadcasts NFL games. I think Star Sports is the main sports channel in the region. I was there during the world cup, so we had soccer each day. They would turn on the projector if you asked.
I have not seen too many channels carry NFL games outside of the Americas
Indian Pay Tv Sony Ten1-3, Sony Espn and Sony Six are also available.
Not sure if the have all regular games, but you could see the superbowl or the NBA Playoffs.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Plat, SPG Plat
Sorry I haven't been following the thread over the last couple months since I last stayed. Was told then that the new owners were redoing all the WV's and the the smaller island is going to be a private island with guests staying over there only. Anyone new news on new WV's and what they are planning on doing with the other island?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:52 pm

It's in the wiki, under Current/Future Maintenance/Property Issues

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Apr 29, 2019 at 12:53 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:57 am

Just completed a 5-day points stay (23rd-28th April) and thought I'd share a few thoughts and data points without being a full-blown review after getting so much great info on here.

- A few people mentioned about not seeing their host throughout the stay, nor did we really but to be honest, there was no reason to see them either.
- Upgraded to an SWV (339) from OWV prior to arrival for 45USD per night and it was great. On the end of a block of 4 with no obstructed views. We didn't request it but glad to have got it.
- Managers reception on Wednesday was good, although only really if you drink (which we did!). The flyer said cocktails and canapes yet we weren't offered either, mainly because our glass of rose sparkling never got empty. Could have done with some canapes to soak it up but it's only minor.
- Cocktail Hour (4:30-5:30pm @ Vilu) was our favourite time of day, all staff were very friendly and drinks were topped up regularly. Canapes at cocktail hour were surprisingly some of the tastiest food we had. Looks like they've reduced the options compared to some older menus we've seen. No cocktails, only mocktails.
- Happy Hour (5-7pm @ Rangali) for all guests was good, we worked our way through the cocktail menu over the 5 nights and finished off with a big jug of sangria which usually lasted us the rest of the night, not bad at $29++.
- Which brings me on to our biggest disappointment, the food. Food was mediocre at best, especially for the price. We were initially a bit annoyed as we were expecting better but once we got over the fact we wouldn't be getting the same value as restaurants in London, we enjoyed the experience a bit more.
- Whale Shark excursion on Friday and caught a glimpse of one although very deep. Even so, was well worth the money. Some of the others didn't manage to see, felt a bit gutted for them.

We plan on doing a 5-day points stay each year in a higher end property so keeping a close eye on the Waldorf. If that doesn't look too good with few Gold/Diamond benefits I can definitely see us coming back here next year! My only concern is that things seem to be constantly changing (and not necessarily for the better) so it'll be interesting to see the benefits this time next year.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:58 am

Wait... cocktail hour only offers mocktails and no alcohol?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:05 am

No. Cocktail hour has lots of alcohol and you can add the spirit/s of your choice to the mocktails too. Some people take cocktail hours to mean drinks with multiple mixed ingredients while many hotels (esp when free) tend to include single mixers of base spirit (gin and tonic, vodka and orange etc).
There are of course beers and wines and teas too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.