Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:09 am

My phone won't let me post photo, I'll probably do it when I get home. It was $180++, and five courses with several items in each course. Lot of food. Maldivian lobster wasn't listed on the menu but was given. Drinks not included, only welcome drink and water.

Did that today and it was awesome. Saw Manta in the first stop, whale shark at the third stop, and general snorkeling at the third. Was $150++, but worth it to see the Manta and whale shark, but I understand it's pure luck to come across them. It was like paparazzi with about 20 boats chasing these creatures and tons of people snorkeling chasing a view or glimpse.

Last thought for the evening. The water depth around our Villa 340 is really shallow and very little sea life. Talked to a nice Austrian dad who showed me pictures and videos from under his Villa, which I believe is a sunset side OWV, and he was able to see sharks and rays at night with the under Villa spotlight on.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 23, 2019 at 11:59 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by alf55555
Last thought for the evening. The water depth around our Villa 340 is really shallow and very little sea life. Talked to a nice Austrian dad who showed me pictures and videos from under his Villa, which I believe is a sunset side OWV, and he was able to see sharks and rays at night with the under Villa spotlight on.

That's surprising, based on the aerial map the SWV have the most amount of "dark spots"/coral near the villas. I upgraded to a SWV just because of this..
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:40 am

Currently in a SWV. Water depth is quite shallow in the AM (2nd stair) but very nice starting around 3-4pm (6th stair) for snorkeling over the coral. Have seen both sharks and rays as well as a good number of parrot fish etc., in and around the coral in the immediate vicinity of our Villa which is spitting distance from 340.

Mamagers reception is tomorrow Wednesday 6-7 in the quiet zone for those keeping track of such things.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:09 pm

It's all about the time of day and the tide, as @mdg197777 says. Check out my Water Depth Around Over Water Villas post if you have the time.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Has anybody gone out in the glass bottomed boat?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
First world problems indeed, LOL.

Could you tell us exactly where, please? Or take a photo if possible. Thanks a lot!
Here they are,looks like they may be doing it all week.

Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:21 pm

Snorkel equipment

Are the snorkel equipment, such as fins, complimentary? We'll bring our snorkel tube and masks but fins are bulky so hoping they're free. Otherwise we might bring our own fins.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Yes, all snorkelling equipment can be rented at the dive center free of charge for the duration of the stay (mask, snorkel, fins, bag). Lifevests are available free of charge at the watersports center, but have to be returned each evening.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Has anybody gone out in the glass bottomed boat?
Yes. You are just taken around the lagoon, mainly around the area closest to, and on the opposite side of, the staff island. Great for kids, a good primer before they start to snorkel. That's how I arranged it when we went with friends who had kids, anyway. Obviously you don't want to take the boat after you've hit the house reef.

@JRV62 Thanks for the pics!

And I have added the snorkel / life jacket gear info to the wiki. Thanks @goliath
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:11 am

Seems like a few FTers here now. One point if praise from my view is the intro scuba offered. For those with no scuba experience in 2 hours the dive staff has you "resort certified". We spent a good 45 minutes at 11meters, just the two of us and the instructor. Completely free to swim around, and a better view than snorkleing! After that they allow additional dives up to 12meters at a discount. I've already booked another!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:28 am

Did that today and it was awesome. Saw Manta in the first stop, whale shark at the third stop, and general snorkeling at the third. Was $150++, but worth it to see the Manta and whale shark, but I understand it's pure luck to come across them. It was like paparazzi with about 20 boats chasing these creatures and tons of people snorkeling chasing a view or glimpse.
Fantastic! The Adventure Snorkeling is the same as the Whale Shark Snorkel (except this is run by the dive center and has an information lecture before hand) and run on different days. For those keeping track of such.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Thanks MF! I was thinking the glass bottomed boat would be a good idea since our daughter has never snorkelled before.

One last question, does the dive shop have those inflatable boogie boards with the window in them? I had never heard of them until last night when I was reading on Trip Advisor on a topic of snorkelling without being able to swim (it was on one of the Hawaii forums) and somebody posted about these inflatable things - there’s also a version which is slightly bigger called the Aquavue Voyager - basically an inflatable little raft (kid size) but it has a clear bottom to it so they just lie on it and can see the water underneath if that makes sense. Thoughts? I’d like her to be able to see some marine life if she can but if those things are no good, then we can make do with the boat and Ithaa!

Also, I can’t remember how shallow / deep the water is going out towards the house reef - do you know? Hopefully on our next trip she might be able to snorkel.

Hopefully last question, just regarding life vests - I assume they have kid size ones or do I need to bring our own one?

Actually one more question! Has anybody done the turtle snorkelling safari??
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:52 am

My phone won't let me post photo, I'll probably do it when I get home. It was $180++, and five courses with several items in each course. Lot of food. Maldivian lobster wasn't listed on the menu but was given. Drinks not included, only welcome drink and water.

Menu
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:17 am

Menu
Would you recommend this event? The menu looks great
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:51 am

Menu does indeed look great. Dying to try the dessert. Kudos to Shannon. Will most definitely be putting our names down for this on our next visit.
And thanks a lot for the photo, @alf55555. Much appreciated! Could you do us a small favour and ask what their backup plan is if it cannot be held due to bad weather. Will it be moved to Ari Lounge (under cover) or Atoll Market or will it just be cancelled like the other beach dinners? TIA!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Apr 10, 2019 at 11:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.