Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Question for Private Pyle and others who have brought kids - how did you protect your kids ears on the seaplane? Did they wear the earplugs provided by TMA or did you bring kids ear defenders with you?
We laways used earplugs provided by TMA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
If there were a competition for most useful thread on the internet, this thread would win the Gold medal!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:16 am
soy

Programs: various

Question for Private Pyle and others who have brought kids - how did you protect your kids ears on the seaplane? Did they wear the earplugs provided by TMA or did you bring kids ear defenders with you?
IME the foam ones on TMA don't fit very well / are uncomfortable for small ears.....also on my 2nd last trip, there were no earplugs onboard !!
I would suggest bringing your own. You can buy kid size ear plugs if full-on ear defenders are too much hassle

Another tip for very young kids is a mini battery operated fan. It can get real sticky in the seaplane and kids stepping off long haul flights react poorly to hot, humid and noisy environments.
Of course when they land in Rangali all is forgotten
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:55 am

My partner and I arrive on Friday, March 22. This is our first visit to the Conrad Maldives and we are staying until Saturday, March 30. Would love to have a meetup/drinks with any other fellow Flyertalk posters!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

We never tipped on the Dhoni. We did tip $1 or $2 every time we called a buggy. We saw a lot of people who did not tip so it’s not necessary. We tipped our host, housekeeper, buggy drivers and the bar staff at Rangali Bar - that was it.
Did you tip in USD?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by soy
IME the foam ones on TMA don't fit very well / are uncomfortable for small ears.....also on my 2nd last trip, there were no earplugs onboard !!
I would suggest bringing your own. You can buy kid size ear plugs if full-on ear defenders are too much hassle

Another tip for very young kids is a mini battery operated fan. It can get real sticky in the seaplane and kids stepping off long haul flights react poorly to hot, humid and noisy environments.
Looks like there is no consistency of passing out the ear plugs from TMA. We didn't get any on our first trip, but they passed the ear plugs on our second trip. Would be good to prepare some in case they don't have any. It is quite low and can be really hot and stuffy.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by soy

Our toddler refused to wear the overear protection I had carefully researched and bought... oh well
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:06 pm

Yes, TMA are pretty inconsistent with earplugs and water. Don't know why.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:09 pm

I've been looking through the restaurant menu's and trying to decide where to eat each night. Are there any specific restaurants or even entrees that are a good value in terms of quantity? I'm fine with a $40 entree but the food in some of the pictures look very small and likely wouldn't fill me up. I guess I just don't want to budget for $40/entree and end up having to get two or three appetizers.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:57 pm

Hello all, I will be traveling there with my wife on our Honeymoon for 10 nights in June. We booked with Points and currently have the Water Villa, do you think that we should upgrade to due to it being our honeymoon? If so what would you recommend? SVW would be $129.50 per night. Also is 10 nights over the water too much? Should we do a Deluxe Beach Villa for some of it? I can't wait to go, any other recs for the honeymoon would be great! Thank you!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jimwagner2
Hello all, I will be traveling there with my wife on our Honeymoon for 10 nights in June. We booked with Points and currently have the Water Villa, do you think that we should upgrade to due to it being our honeymoon? If so what would you recommend? SVW would be $129.50 per night. Also is 10 nights over the water too much? Should we do a Deluxe Beach Villa for some of it? I can't wait to go, any other recs for the honeymoon would be great! Thank you!
General consensus here would be to split your 10 nights and do some nights in a SWV and some nights in a DBV.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
We never tipped on the Dhoni. We did tip $1 or $2 every time we called a buggy. We saw a lot of people who did not tip so it’s not necessary. We tipped our host, housekeeper, buggy drivers and the bar staff at Rangali Bar - that was it.

The earplugs provided were too big and we wouldn't have put earplugs in anyway, kids ear defenders were also too big but to be honest there is no way they would've stayed on his head. He would've just pulled them off. We tried him with headphones before the trip and on the plane (so he could hear teletubbies!!) and all he wanted to do was pull them off his head.
He had no problems on the seaplane, he fell asleep on the seaplane to Rangali
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:24 pm

I'm checking tomorrow tunil the 21st - anyone else there at that time?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcht
I've been looking through the restaurant menu's and trying to decide where to eat each night. Are there any specific restaurants or even entrees that are a good value in terms of quantity? I'm fine with a $40 entree but the food in some of the pictures look very small and likely wouldn't fill me up. I guess I just don't want to budget for $40/entree and end up having to get two or three appetizers.
Mandhoo is probably the best overall value of the fine dining spots, otherwise Rangalli bar will have the least expensive, their burgers were good size but every where is expensive. We had 2 burgers and 2 drinks and it was $120.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jimwagner2
Hi and welcome to FlyerTalk!

Great to see you're spending 10 nights there. You will get to enjoy many more dining options that way. If you'd like a dining plan (I know it sounds restrictive and like you have to stick to a schedule but don't worry, it isn't like that at all once you're there), let me know and I'll make something up for you. Since it will be your honeymoon, I do recommend a Private Beach Dinner.

As for accommodations, if it's your first time to stay in a resort like this I'd most certainly split the stay, first spending 4 or 5 nights in a BV or DBV (the former have all been renovated but the latter only half of them done, so take your pick), then the remaining 5 or 6 nights over water. Upgrade to a SWV. It's cheap and well worth it. See the Villa Selection area in the wiki for which villas to request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.