Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Getting down to seriously finer details now! Is there a child-proof lock on the DBV doors or what kind of locking system is it?
Standard locks, the sliding doors are pretty heavy though, the front doors are easy to open.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Now we are home and have come back down to earth..

Renovated DBV reef side.
I don't have any proof of this, only what our host told us.
Only 4 DBV have been renovated on the reef side so far, we were in 223, I could see 222 next to us had a hanging chair in the garden as I could see the top of the rope.

In terms of service I think this was the best trip we've had here, it's been hit & miss at times in the past but no complaints this time. I think having our little man with us may have helped as he was spoiled rotten with attention from the staff so more we never went long without a staff member passing by. Also just about every other guest who saw him gave him some attention which he loved despite him pretending to be shy It was still hard work as you would expect with a 15 month old but the staff and guests made it a little easier for us.

The main pool was often very quiet, this was great for us as our little man good splash about in the shallow areas, he loved it, we loved it.

I always used to like staying OW, that was the same even after trying the BV last trip, this time though, having that fantastic pool out the back of the DBV, my prefernce is changing!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by BLTraveler
No, at 50m or above no one will even hear or see your drone.
Sure, if they're half blind. Anyone can shoot a clay pigeon at 50m and they're a third of the size.....
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m farily new to HH but am racking up points nice and quickly. I should hit gold around May and am planning to take my first trip to this resort in October.

If I make an extra effort with my hotel stays before October I can hit diamond. I know diamond gets my exec lounge access at a regular Hilton, but what, if anything will the Rangali offer a diamond member over a gold member?

I’m also assuming it’s my status when I roll up at the resort that counts rather than my staus when I book?

I’m also on the fence with room choice. Water or beach...... Both are available with points for the 5 night stay I’m targetting.

Should add it’s myself and wife only travelling.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by kingcole974
If I make an extra effort with my hotel stays before October I can hit diamond. I know diamond gets my exec lounge access at a regular Hilton, but what, if anything will the Rangali offer a diamond member over a gold member?
Answer is in the wiki.

Originally Posted by kingcole974
I’m also assuming it’s my status when I roll up at the resort that counts rather than my staus when I book?
Sure.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Sure, if they're half blind. Anyone can shoot a clay pigeon at 50m and they're a third of the size.....
The resort currently allows drones with conditions.

If guests like you and others do not like them, then let management know. They can then make a decision about drones moving forward.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:26 am

Nah, I was thinking of using them as clay targets first rather than complain to management. Much more fun that way. @:-)
But seriously, if someone wants to pretend you can't see them at 50m (as opposed to maybe 500m) then it should be pointed out.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Nah, I was thinking of using them as clay targets first rather than complain to management. Much more fun that way. @:-)
But seriously, if someone wants to pretend you can't see them at 50m (as opposed to maybe 500m) then it should be pointed out.
Good luck even trying to notice a mavic drone flying around in the area permitted by the Conrad. You can't fly near any villas or common areas. It may be possible to see/hear the large drones like the Phantom/Inspire from 50m (164ft) away. The Mavic (which I use) is grey and smaller than a bottle of water. I lose line of sight all the time (depending on lighting conditions) until its within 20m. If you can identify a grey water bottle flying around in the sky, traveling 40km/h at 164ft away, than good job eagle eyes. Unless you are Yoda, detecting every disturbance across the universe, you'll never notice the thing flying off the south coast of the main island.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:18 am

Kids Policy?

What is the kids policy at the resort? They eat for free?
Any other way to get to the resort except the seaplane. What should be the food cost per day at the Conrad?
Conrad vs Residence Maldives?

Last edited by travelsaf; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Please read the wiki above.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by BLTraveler
Good luck even trying to notice a mavic drone flying around in the area permitted by the Conrad. You can't fly near any villas or common areas. It may be possible to see/hear the large drones like the Phantom/Inspire from 50m (164ft) away. The Mavic (which I use) is grey and smaller than a bottle of water. I lose line of sight all the time (depending on lighting conditions) until its within 20m. If you can identify a grey water bottle flying around in the sky, traveling 40km/h at 164ft away, than good job eagle eyes. Unless you are Yoda, detecting every disturbance across the universe, you'll never notice the thing flying off the south coast of the main island.
Where I live there are 5-litre bottles of water, they're big. Anyway, it's still 3x the length of a clay target - I checked the dimensions. And they are often stationary or moving slowly, not always flying at 40km/h, and they have to go up and come down to land so they're not always invisible as you seem to think. Let's be realistic here not just biased to justify the use of them. The point is, as has been mentioned before, is that when people see them and see people with them and know that they are flying around, it can spoil their holiday and feeling of privacy and this is because the resort doesn't notify everyone that they are not allowed to fly over villas and the common areas. And even if they are told, not everyeone is going to be happy in that they will be expecting people to break the rules and fly them wherever they want. Having said that, it is indeed good news to see that they've severely limited the areas where you can fly them and seem to be enforcing these rules.

BTW, not connected to the above, your review has a lot of instances of quite instead of quiet and has some glaring errors. In some places you say the SWVs and WVs are not the same size but in others you say they are the same or about the same size. The WVs are 76m˛ and the SWVs are 86m˛. The difference of 10m˛ (107ft˛) makes the SWVs 13% larger.
When you say "The back of the villa has a well shaded outdoor seating area with minimal views of the ocean." you are referring to that villa but that is the exception to the rule. There are only 2 BVs (112 & 213) where the pathway is straight enough as to have some ocean visible from the villa or its patio.
The WVs haven't been refurbished in quite a few years.
"Villas 335 or 339 are preferred since those have less obstructed views" is not correct either.
When you say the decks are smaller on the SWVs, that's incorrect. The WVs are actually a couple of percent smaller if you include the pool, but that's not really important so they are, for all intents and purposes, the same size. But then you have the deck area next the SWV's bedroom so if one counts this area, the SWVs have much more deck space. And it's not useless space either. We utilized that extra space and put our snorkelling gear and life vest in that area after washing them down so there was no clutter on the main deck.
And a few grammatical errors such as "..... and sunset views of somewhat obstructed"
Only half the RWVs have sunset views.
I haven't read through all of the pages and there are others I haven't mentioned but you can find them if you read through.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
I am sure I have seen this question posted previously, but want is the protocol for tipping the individuals who pick you up (cart & boat) to take you around the island?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nstaskey
I am sure I have seen this question posted previously, but want is the protocol for tipping the individuals who pick you up (cart & boat) to take you around the island?
I've never tipped the people operating the Dhoni.

But, if I called a golf cart, and someone went out of their way to help me, I might.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
It may just be that I am Australian but I never felt the need to tip at all while on Rangali. Nor did I get the impression it was expected. We did round off the bill when eating or drinking a few times but that was it really.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
We never tipped on the Dhoni. We did tip $1 or $2 every time we called a buggy. We saw a lot of people who did not tip so it’s not necessary. We tipped our host, housekeeper, buggy drivers and the bar staff at Rangali Bar - that was it.

Question for Private Pyle and others who have brought kids - how did you protect your kids ears on the seaplane? Did they wear the earplugs provided by TMA or did you bring kids ear defenders with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.