Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
Yeah. What's the bet he edited the video to leave it at that and not go further up the path after he read about the shitstorm they caused.[/QUOTE]

This COULD be the guy I ran into coming down my path with his camera. We were in 203, and that is the area he was in on the beach in part of his video. What I said to the cameraman that day wouldn't have made for good video.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by dein_gesicht
Just a week now until I spend 6 nights there - can't wait! I can't contain my excitement!!

We upgraded to a SWV for the whole time and booked dinner at the underwater restaurant.

Any advice on activities (ex-scuba) or other restaurants (including where is the best breakfast) would be well received
Deserted Island Picnic if you fancy that kind of thing. Atoll Market first morning then Vilu second morning (and maybe breakfast in the SWV the third morning) then take your pic from there. Enjoy your trip!

Originally Posted by stormbandit
This COULD be the guy I ran into coming down my path with his camera. We were in 203, and that is the area he was in on the beach in part of his video. What I said to the cameraman that day wouldn't have made for good video.
I hope it began with and ended with an 'f'.....

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 6, 2019 at 12:57 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
124-140 and it seems a few in the high 200s going clockwise from 140.
Weird. I would have expected the reef side to take priority.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Does anybody have photos of all the types of pool in the DBV? After seeing that lovely long pool from 223, I’m trying to work out a second / third preference - would you go with a long pool on the sunset side or go with one of the smaller sized pools on the sunrise side (assuming all renovated).

Thoughts?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Does anybody have photos of all the types of pool in the DBV? After seeing that lovely long pool from 223, I’m trying to work out a second / third preference - would you go with a long pool on the sunset side or go with one of the smaller sized pools on the sunrise side (assuming all renovated).

Thoughts?
There is but I’m afraid I don’t know his name. He might even have videos of them he can share. He’s got snazzy sunglasses and can be contacted at 1-800-BIGBOAT or on youtube...
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Finished a great stay at this property last week. My stay was based on point redemption so I spent overall only ~US$2,000 which includes taxes etc. And for sure more than half of it was for seaplane.
But I was surprised at accumulated points from this stay- I got nearly 90k points. For reference, I am a Honors Gold.

Per the Hilton website, I am supposed to get 18 points per US$1 spending and seaplane/taxes don't count as eligible spending... so even if I assume my eligible spending was US$1,000... 90k looks very generous and lucky?
Or am I missing something?

Thanks

ps) SWV was indeed superior!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:23 pm

Tennis Court

We stayed in the deluxe beach villa and the basic water villa. If we had to choose, we would prefer the former. However, it was good to experience both. Our water villa showed a little wear and tear, but still quite nice. No mildew or mold odors or anything of that sort.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:13 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Finished a great stay at this property last week. My stay was based on point redemption so I spent overall only ~US$2,000 which includes taxes etc. And for sure more than half of it was for seaplane.
I can't comment on the points, but I have to say your username sounds very fitting.

I assume you were there with someone else if the seaplane was more than $1000. How long were you there for?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I can't comment on the points, but I have to say your username sounds very fitting.

I assume you were there with someone else if the seaplane was more than $1000. How long were you there for?
Sherlock!
I had to hunt birds and catch fish around my villa for a 6-night stay...

... I just brought lots of food and snacks as my wife is very light eater who was pretty happy with late breakfast. Well still quite embarrassing to bring excuses...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shosana
So my question is that even at the specific area for drone flying to take some aerial photos at 50m or above would that also be a nuisance to other guests? Obviously I am trying not to be that guy but if I can get a couple of aerial shots, I would love to do so...

As always, thank you thank you thank you!
No, at 50m or above no one will even hear or see your drone. With the sounds of the wind and general background noise on the island, the drone is quiet at about 20 feet away, assuming you have a small drone like a Mavic. The resort has a designated launch area and flight area for drones that is away from guests anyway. At the bottom of my blog post is a video of where I was able to fly my drone.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:29 am

I am about to look a gift horse in the mouth. Does anyone else have experience looking a gift horse in the mouth?
Don't call the airline.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Don't call the airline.
Ouch
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:32 am

But I was surprised at accumulated points from this stay- I got nearly 90k points. For reference, I am a Honors Gold.

Per the Hilton website, I am supposed to get 18 points per US$1 spending and seaplane/taxes don't count as eligible spending... so even if I assume my eligible spending was US$1,000... 90k looks very generous and lucky?
Or am I missing something?

Thanks

ps) SWV was indeed superior!
Have a look at the breakdown on the website (base points vs bonuses). The base points should reflect the spend before taxes. Sometimes the seaplane is included, sometimes not.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Getting down to seriously finer details now! Is there a child-proof lock on the DBV doors or what kind of locking system is it?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Getting down to seriously finer details now! Is there a child-proof lock on the DBV doors or what kind of locking system is it?
Can't speak to DBVs, but I can tell you the BVs are pretty standard hotel latches/locks. If you are concerned about young ones who might go wandering, then you might want to leave them back home with grandparents. It is very possible that they could get up in the middle of the night and go for a stroll without waking you if you are a heavy sleeper. The island itself is very safe, but the ocean would be a major safety concern for an unattended child.

The low-tech solution might be to put a bottle (or something else noisy) on each of the door handles? This is a problem that we haven't seen a lot of discussion about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.