Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:57 pm

How often are people getting free upgrades at check-in and what are the reasons for them? I've been reading through this thread and it sounds like a few of you report getting upgraded at check-in - is it because your room category is full so they bump you up, or is purely good customer service because the next category up has empty rooms? Gold/Diamond status doesn't need to be honored for upgrades, right? But it seems like a decent people get them anyway. Just torn whether I should pay for an upgrade or roll the dice. I'm staying in August and by all accounts that's a slow time to go. Thoughts?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benjinito
Thanks. How long do you get to spend in the restaurant if you do cocktails/canapes?
It was an hour which was enough for us. We had plenty of pictures taken by the staff as well as taking some of our own.

It started to heat up a bit by the end so we were happy to leave when we did.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by guy_listening
Thanks for in the info! Interesting about the support in the canoe...I wonder if they would assist in a swim around both islands. I am an avid long distance swimmer (~10,000meters) and that would be an amazing swim. Looks like google maps puts the distance around the both islands at ~5km.
Im not easily impressed by physical feats but damn. Don’t ever change.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
It started to heat up a bit by the end so we were happy to leave when we did.
They installed a new AC unit last year in October, so this might not be an issue anymore. It was right after our visit to Ithaa, so I can't say whether it actually made a difference.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by senatorbrown
How often are people getting free upgrades at check-in and what are the reasons for them? I've been reading through this thread and it sounds like a few of you report getting upgraded at check-in - is it because your room category is full so they bump you up, or is purely good customer service because the next category up has empty rooms? Gold/Diamond status doesn't need to be honored for upgrades, right? But it seems like a decent people get them anyway. Just torn whether I should pay for an upgrade or roll the dice. I'm staying in August and by all accounts that's a slow time to go. Thoughts?
Right, resort is exempt from mandatory complimentary upgrades but they do an excellent job of upgrading guests and they are not at all stingy about it. The reasons for upgrades will be for both reasons you have mentioned. I think a lot of the people who post here also mention whether they have been upgraded but since there are so many guests and so few of them post here it's impossible to put a figure on it. See my post a few posts back when I talked about upgrades and my Guidelines For Paid Upgrades post for more info on the subject.
Lastly, August is not a slow time at all as it's the school holidays in mainland China and it's packed with up to 2/3 of the guests being Chinese. Occupancy is in the very high 90s.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
MF - when do the school holidays start for mainland China?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for in the info! Interesting about the support in the canoe...I wonder if they would assist in a swim around both islands. I am an avid long distance swimmer (~10,000meters) and that would be an amazing swim. Looks like google maps puts the distance around the both islands at ~5km.
I bet they’d be delighted to do that with you. I spoke to the lifeguard who was in the canoe with the guy swimming long distance at new year, and he was quite clearly enjoying the opportunity to do something a bit more interesting than being sat in a high-chair all day! I’m being flippant - he was genuinely pleased to do it with him, that’s just the nature of the people at Rangali. And they obviously have many more than just a single lifeguard living on the island so that won’t be a constraints. I saw them out with the guy swimming pretty much every day for a good hour or more. So, careful of what you wish for - and we all expect a report back on here after you’ve done it. Intrigued to hear how long 5k takes in water.... feels like an awful long time to go without a cocktail?!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Right, resort is exempt from mandatory complimentary upgrades but they do an excellent job of upgrading guests and they are not at all stingy about it. The reasons for upgrades will be for both reasons you have mentioned. I think a lot of the people who post here also mention whether they have been upgraded but since there are so many guests and so few of them post here it's impossible to put a figure on it. See my post a few posts back when I talked about upgrades and my Guidelines For Paid Upgrades post for more info on the subject.
Lastly, August is not a slow time at all as it's the school holidays in mainland China and it's packed with up to 2/3 of the guests being Chinese. Occupancy is in the very high 90s.
Appreciate the feedback. I knew it was shoulder season - but didn't realize how popular it was. I'm just a little confused as to why I was quoted such a high upgrade price to a SWV (At around $100/night) when people going in April (High Season) are getting $40s-60s. Is this common? Are there other factors at play?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by senatorbrown
Appreciate the feedback. I knew it was shoulder season - but didn't realize how popular it was. I'm just a little confused as to why I was quoted such a high upgrade price to a SWV (At around $100/night) when people going in April (High Season) are getting $40s-60s. Is this common? Are there other factors at play?
Here is a response I recieved when asking about upgrades:

”Please find the below rates requested. Please also note that the upgrade prices are not fixed and depends on the travel date and also our demand on certain dates”

My guess is your dates, even if it is the shoulder season, already have a heavy demand for upgrades. As we were all taught in school, supply and demand drives everything.

TD
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Related, when are there fewer mainlanders there?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:56 pm

Is it allowable to swim between the two islands recreationally? Would the Conrad have a problem with this - safety or otherwise?
Speaking of canoes and marathons from one island to the next, check this out! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30823494-post636.html

Originally Posted by benjinito
Trying to decide between a private beach dinner and Ithaa dinner .... they work out to be roughly the same price. What do you guys think? Which one is more unique / worth the money?
Most definitely the Private Beach Dinner! Skip cocktails. It's a rip and you might as well save your money and visit an aquarium if you're not going to eat there.

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Last week in June. Depends on the school and age but generally the earliest they start the holidays is about June 21st or 22nd.

Originally Posted by exmike
Related, when are there fewer mainlanders there?
Depends a bit on Chinese New Year - Wikipedia but if you take it say 5 weeks before it starts up until about a week before it starts, that's when you'll be able to count them on two hands. The reason being is that most people are finalising everything that they have to do with kids, business / work and family matters so they almost never go on holiday then.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:15 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:20 pm

Speaking of canoes and marathons from one island to the next, check this out! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30823494-post636.html
Now that is just ridiculous!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:36 pm

I am still not certain why the Conrad charges more for an upgrade to the Deluxe Water Villa over a Spa Retreat Water Villa. Any explanation to this?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by Private Pyle

Thanks pineapple. We are here for ten nights. It’s so nice to be back.
Hope you are having a lovely holiday with your little one! Does 223 have a bath in it or does it have a daybed instead of the bath?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:25 pm

Last week in June. Depends on the school and age but generally the earliest they start the holidays is about June 21st or 22nd.

Depends a bit on Chinese New Year - Wikipedia but if you take it say 5 weeks before it starts up until about a week before it starts, that's when you'll be able to count them on two hands. The reason being is that most people are finalising everything that they have to do with kids, business / work and family matters so they almost never go on holiday then.
the day I booked happened to fall right on Chinese New Year so I’m glad the hotel wouldn’t be too packed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.