Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Donhugo
5 weeks before departure how realistic is that? I can see there are WV available at 95k on a few days of our 10 planned nights. I imagine nearer the time they will give away unsold rooms?
It's really luck of the draw whether they a) have rooms available, b) whether the rooms they have available are unoccupied contiguously, i.e; for 3 or more nights in a row (they will seldom offer upgrades for only 2 nights unless at the beginning or end of your stay so guests don't have to move back to their original villa during their stay, i.e; move twice), and c) whether other Hilton Elites (Golds & Diamonds) are before you in line to upgrade. Remember that this property is almost always at full or near-full occupancy and there are, at any given time, an average of 20-30 villas occuppied by Elites so your chances of an upgrade are not very high to begin with. Do not count on / think you will be likely to get a free upgrade at this property. As for rates, it's almost guaranteed not to get any cheaper the closer you get to your check-in date so if you really want a better villa then pay for an upgrade as soon as you can. Check out my Guidelines For Paid Upgrades post linked in my sig for more info on upgrades at this property.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:24 am

Thanks lots of great advice from you.

i can’t find the link via your signature (maybe because I’m doing this on an iPhone), if you can tell me how or send a link on here please?

ive already emailed the hotel to ask for upgrade price from BV.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt

Maybe we should add to the wiki, just in case someone forgot, that you are going to the Maldives.
The Indian Ocean is open 24/7 365 days a year. As long as you are not traveling with small children, who cares about a pool in the Maldives
Yeah, it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch, but even at ocean resorts we sometimes do a quick dip in the pool even if we're also spending lots of time snorkeling or doing other things in the ocean. Just seems strange that they bothered to build pools and then only have them open for such limited hours each day. I'm used to resorts having at least one pool open most of the day...sometimes adults-only after 10PM or so, and often as late as you like as long as you're not noisy.

But I suppose in this case chilling at our own villa at night will be quite pleasant.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, it's not a dealbreaker by any stretch, but even at ocean resorts we sometimes do a quick dip in the pool
Go in the ocean. I don't mean to excuse the fact that the pools close so early, but really do consider going in the ocean. It doesn't get cold at night. You might even see some bioluminescent plankton.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:34 pm

@lhrhappy is right. It's 2:30AM and the water temperature is 28°C. Great for a midnight dip. ^
One reason they don't have the pools open 24hrs is there's no-one, and I mean no-one, about after midnight. I agree though that 6PM is a bit slack since Rangali Bar and The Quiet Zone are open til well after 6 but it's a place where almost no-one wants to swim after dinner. Kids are asleep and everyone's either relaxing on a lounger letting dinner digest, taking a walk across the bridge or sometimes on the beach or in their room.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:37 pm

What is the water situation at the resort? Is the tap water drinkable or is purified water (non-bottled) readily available? I ask because we usually bring our own refillable bottles with us in our beach/pool bag. It seems unnecessary to use dozens of bottles of water during our week at the resort, even if as Diamond folks some will be complimentary. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mdg197777
What is the water situation at the resort? Is the tap water drinkable or is purified water (non-bottled) readily available? I ask because we usually bring our own refillable bottles with us in our beach/pool bag. It seems unnecessary to use dozens of bottles of water during our week at the resort, even if as Diamond folks some will be complimentary. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
There is filtered (purified?) water put in refillable bottles in the villa each day. You can ask for more. I'm not sure what the practice is now, but in the past some of the restaurants have been reluctant to offer the resort water; they want to sell bottled water. I usually insist on the resort water. (Sometimes I just bring my own water to the restaurant.)

There are some small ways in which I am really, really cheap. I hate paying for bottled water when there is perfectly drinkable water otherwise available. (But I'll gladly pay for the Wine Cellar dinner.)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

Tap water is drinkable. Refilled for no cost in room, however much you want. Free outside the room only at the gym and Atoll Market at breakfast time. I assume there's free water at Vilu for breakfast too.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Donhugo
I can’t find the link via your signature (maybe because I’m doing this on an iPhone), if you can tell me how or send a link on here please?
Here it is: Guidelines For Paid Upgrades
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Tap water is drinkable. Refilled for no cost in room, however much you want. Free outside the room only at the gym and Atoll Market at breakfast time. I assume there's free water at Vilu for breakfast too.
That's funny because when we checked in last week, our resort host told us to not drink the tap water. She said if you need more filtered water in the bottles, just call and they will bring more. Although there was always about 4 bottles in the room each day so never ran out before room was cleaned.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:30 pm

My understanding of the water is that's it's all desal and therefore fine to drink. The bottled stuff is filtered or treated in some extra way but still came from the tap.

similar to an airline and the bathroom water, the water in the tanks was originally potable but they can't guarantee the tanks are always perfect, so they just say "do not drink". I've always drank the tap water and been fine but there is a chance of not.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
The only difference between tap water and the bottled water is a further UV sterilization. They also use a professional dishwasher for a thermal disinfection of the glas bottles.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:10 pm

thanks, there’s some great advice on that page!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by canesfan
That's funny because when we checked in last week, our resort host told us to not drink the tap water. She said if you need more filtered water in the bottles, just call and they will bring more. Although there was always about 4 bottles in the room each day so never ran out before room was cleaned.
They always tell guests not to drink it although they do tell some that it's still drinkable. Go figure.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:37 pm

They always tell guests not to drink it although they do tell some that it's still drinkable. Go figure.
I am sure it is drinkable, i.e. you wont die or end up on the commode for 3 days. But I assume many have complained about the taste and found telling people to drink the bottled instead causes them fewer hassles.

I have no issue spending money on overpriced items on a trip like this. It comes with the desire to vacation in places like the Maldives and Bora Bora. But my Father comes out in me when asked to pay $10 for a bottle of water at dinner! Especially when the same bottle of water (given to me for free) is sitting back at my room.

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.