Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:26 pm

Valentine's Day Cruise Ship Invasion - TA Reviews

OK, since there are already a number of reviews on TripAdvisor I thought I'd make a post with links to them.
  1. Cruise ship ruined Conrad Rangali experience ::Rating: 1 out of 5::
  2. HOTEL INVITED ENTIRE CRUISESHIP TO OVERRUN THE PAID GUESTS AMENITIES! ::Rating: 1 out of 5::
  3. Cash grab to the extreme -- Happy VDAY from Conrad Rangali ::Rating: 1 out of 5::
  4. Conrad Rangali Subordinates Guest Safety For Money ::Rating: 1 out of 5::
  5. Damage by Cruise Ship ::Rating: 1 out of 5::
  6. Inconsistent service and Cruise ship tender ruins the experience ::Rating: 2 out of 5::
  7. 游轮上的野蛮人 ::Rating: 1 out of 5:: (February 22, 2019)
  8. Not a special place anymore ::Rating: 2 out of 5:: (February 26, 2019)
  9. ::Rating: x out of 5::
  10. ::Rating: x out of 5::
  11. ::Rating: x out of 5::

You'll also note that while the average 4 or 5-star review gets a couple of likes / thumbs up, the first negative invasion review has gotten more than 50 and a few of the other early ones are in the vicinity of 15-20 per review! This shows you how many people are reading them and how much impact they are having.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Apr 10, 2019 at 2:30 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, the underwater thing is nice, but I would assume Hilton would want to pair that great restaurant with a great chef. Is that not the case here? $320 for a cheeseburger in hopes that a shark swims by isn't what I'm hoping for.
This was our set dinner, back in late 2017

You pay the same price as you would at Osteria Francescana, the Best Restaurant in the World, but with food nowhere near as exciting, imaginative and dreamy.

You do however get that underwater experience, the food presentation is still gorgeous, and food quality is still solid for any resort restaurant.

The Menu:-

Caviar:-

Foie Gras and Truffle Dumpling:-

Crab & Prawn Tartare

Reef Lobster Stuffed Pasta:-

Green Apple and Ginger Sorbet:-

Sous Vide Wagyu Beef Tenderloin:-

Chocolate and Kaffir Lime Panna Cotta
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by scwam
Well said. But where can I I find this statistical information you said about staff to guest ratio? They have such info? And I thought I was overkill on checking details.
For Rangali, whenever someone complains about guests' race / racism / preferential treatment based on race etc on TA, Stefano posts a generic reply
The team at Conrad Maldives consists of over 570 members from 23 different nationalities
That particular text was from the previous GM, Lyle Lewis. Stefano just uses most of Lyle's text, cut & pasted.
Actually there are over 600 staff, making for a staff to guest ratio of about 1.5:1 if you assume nearly full occupancy and 100 or so kids in addition to couples.
As for myself, I asked about it on our first visit to Rangali as I was curious about it after seeing it mentioned somewhere at another resort. You should be able to get this information from any resort if you email them.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 20, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by divinebaboon
I think we are gonna do nights here instead of the waldorf as the rate is a bit more affordable, HMS The Shitshow aside.
LOL!

Originally Posted by pinniped
$320 for a cheeseburger in hopes that a shark swims by isn't what I'm hoping for.
Actually it's $394.24 all up for the cheeseburger! Having said that, it's still a helluva lot cheaper than these burgers!

Originally Posted by j.cerda
I will be at the Conrad in about a month.
I was making plans for dinner activities for the week we will be there and would like suggestions.
Any recommendations or suggestions to the current plan? Would you do both the Lobster & Champagne Dinner and Fisherman's BBQ?

Fri 22 : Ufaa, Rangali Bar, or Atoll Market ?
Sat 23 : Lobster & Champagne Dinner
Sun 24 : Rangali Bar?
Mon 25 : Maldivian Night at Atoll ?
Tue 26 : Mandhoo
Wed 27 : Fisherman's BBQ
Thu 28 : Sunset Grill or Ufaa?
Fri 29 : Ithaa for Lunch, Vilu for Dinner

Are there any recommendations on activities we must do? Does anyone know the cost to due a private boat tour for a day?
For a week's stay I wouldn't do 2 beach BBQs but if you are really into them then why not. I would, however, suggest you swap one BBQ for Koko Grill if you did want to be on the beach and vary it a little.
I would do the Cheese Fondue, Cheese & Tapas or, if you drink, the The Wine Cellar dinner instead of a second night at Rangali Bar, i.e; on Sun 24th. And finally, I would not leave out Sunset Grill so make sure you go there (putting it at the end of your stay is a good idea, too, like Vilu).

I would recommend the Deserted Island Picnic and either Whale Shark or Snorkelling Safari excursions.
As for the boat, I think it's $400++ per hour with maybe a 5-6hour day so you're looking at around $2500-$3000 all inclusive for the day. Don't take that as gospel however, as the current Day Planner PDF has the exact pricing and duration. There should be a link to it in the wiki but I would ask for a current one from the resort if you want 100% up-to-date info.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
For a week's stay I wouldn't do 2 beach BBQs but if you are really into them then why not. I would, however, suggest you swap one BBQ for Koko Grill if you did want to be on the beach and vary it a little.
I would do the Cheese Fondue, Cheese & Tapas or, if you drink, the The Wine Cellar dinner instead of a second night at Rangali Bar, i.e; on Sun 24th. And finally, I would not leave out Sunset Grill so make sure you go there (putting it at the end of your stay is a good idea, too, like Vilu).
I'm going to throw out an unconventional opinion: Build in one night (or maybe two) for room service dinner. It's the same fare you'd see at Rangali Bar, but you can enjoy it in your villa. And regardless of whether you're on the beach or over the water, it's really special and intimate to enjoy a meal in your own space in paradise, overlooking whatever view you have.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:02 pm

Agree on room service. Not a fan of sunset grill myself, though I come from a beach town.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by shosana
Hi again! I am trying to finishing up my itinerary and previously Maldives Freak is kind enough to help me set up for must go restaurant at what date. So thank you for that... I am back with more questions. We will be there for 5 nights and all of them will be at OWV. Should I split between OWV and BV? What is the advantages between OWV and BV? Also, do they still serve cheese fondue?

Thank you in advance.
If it's your first time to the Maldives, if you have never stayed in this kind of accommodation and / or you are not planning another trip to the Maldives in the near future, I would most definitely do both and split between the two, doing BV (2 nights) first then OWV (3 nights).
Yes, AFAIK they are still doing the Cheese Fondue. Remember it is flexible and if you do want to change the day from what is advertised (Mon & Sat) you should ask them at least a few days beforehand.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by alanslegal
This was our set dinner, back in late 2017

You pay the same price as you would at Osteria Francescana, the Best Restaurant in the World, but with food nowhere near as exciting, imaginative and dreamy.

You do however get that underwater experience, the food presentation is still gorgeous, and food quality is still solid for any resort restaurant.

The Menu:-

Caviar:-

Foie Gras and Truffle Dumpling:-

Crab & Prawn Tartare

Reef Lobster Stuffed Pasta:-

Green Apple and Ginger Sorbet:-

Sous Vide Wagyu Beef Tenderloin:-

Chocolate and Kaffir Lime Panna Cotta
Sadly, this was much better than our dinner on Valentine’s Day last week and all our previous trips to Ithaa. Wine cellar dinner was actually much better and exceeded previous trips. That and Vilu with same chef was only dining area holding up from previous trips.

Last edited by texmanufan; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:39 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
Agree on room service. Not a fan of sunset grill myself, though I come from a beach town.
Curious what Sunset grill has to do with a beach town? I grew up and have lived near a beach for over 95% of my breaths, and the last thing I connected with the Sunset grill was the beach.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by texmanufan
Sadly, this was much better than our dinner on Valentine’s Day last week and all our previous trips to Ithaa.
Our menu in August 2018 was practically identical to these photos.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
We will be here on Monday for 10 nights.
It'll be a different trip for us this time as we will have our 15 month old with us
The recent cruise ship incident will not detract from our trip in the slightest, if another one docks whilst we are there then that will be a different story. I am relieved though as I was trying to get us to Rangali over valentines day but I was a bit too slow with the BA Avios booking so had to settle for a later date.
If I'm being on honest if WA was open right now we would've gone to that resort to try it out, the cruise ship incident wouldn't have anything to do with it.

We will try to make afternoon tea/happy hour but obviously our boy will be our priority but hopefully we will bump into some fellow FT'ers if there are any there (I completely understand if you would prefer to avoid us too!)

Last edited by Private Pyle; Feb 21, 2019 at 1:45 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by Majuki
Our menu in August 2018 was practically identical to these photos.
Most of this menu has changed. Possibly an indication the chef has too?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
There are PDFs of the menus on this blog post: https://jarvismarcos.com/2017/10/gui...nrad-maldives/

I found it handy, although it's from 2017 so - pinch of salt and all that.

Disclaimer - It's a post I found, I have nothing to do with the blog.
That's perfect, cheers!

Are the Gold/Diamond perks still the same as mentioned in that blog and are they for everyone staying in the room?

Complimentary Daily Breakfast (7am-11am)
Complimentary Daily Afternoon Tea (4pm-5pm)
Complimentary Daily Happy Hour (5pm-6pm)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SirAlfonso
That's perfect, cheers!

Are the Gold/Diamond perks still the same as mentioned in that blog and are they for everyone staying in the room?

Complimentary Daily Breakfast (7am-11am)
Complimentary Daily Afternoon Tea (4pm-5pm)
Complimentary Daily Happy Hour (5pm-6pm)
We also got invited to the Manager’s reception last night at the Quiet Zone. I think it’s every Wednesday. It’s from 6-7, which is much better time frame, since it gives you more beach time!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
If it's your first time to the Maldives, if you have never stayed in this kind of accommodation and / or you are not planning another trip to the Maldives in the near future, I would most definitely do both and split between the two, doing BV (2 nights) first then OWV (3 nights).
Yes, AFAIK they are still doing the Cheese Fondue. Remember it is flexible and if you do want to change the day from what is advertised (Mon & Sat) you should ask them at least a few days beforehand.
I see, yes this will be our first time and not sure when will be able to go back. Is there a reason why you do BV 2 nights and then OWV 3 nights instead of vice versa?

In terms of numbering I do know that the sunset side for BV is from 100-140 and 200-239 for sunrise side, and for snorkeling is it better on the 200's side or 100 side? P2 has only been snorkel once in Hawaii and can get pretty nervous on the open water despite being a strong swimmer. I think I will just pick the BV on the side where she can snorkel..

Also, is there any snorkeling mask that you guys recommended?

Also, I know you guys do not like someone to bring drones. As it can invade privacy as well as the annoying sound that the drone produce. I did contact them and this is what I got
"Greetings from Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Thank you for your e-mail. In order to protect the safety and security of all our guests, team members and resort property, as well as for individual privacy for guests, the resort has a strict operating policy with regards to the operation of aerial systems (commonly referred to as drones) by the general public – including recreational users and hobbyists.
We can find some time to allow you to fly the drone. However this does need to be at a specified time and location.
A drone may only be allowed to be flown to capture an aerial view of the resort and surrounding lagoon and should be flown at or above 50 meters from the ground. The resort has a designated location in which drones can be flown from and can only be flown in said location.
A drone is not permitted to be flown:
· Above guest Villas
· Beaches in front of guest villas
· Public beaches of the resort
Upon arrival please ask your concierge host about a time to fly the drone and they will coordinate with our security team. Please note that security must be informed as they know the timings of planes landing to the resort."

So my question is that even at the specific area for drone flying to take some aerial photos at 50m or above would that also be a nuisance to other guests? Obviously I am trying not to be that guy but if I can get a couple of aerial shots, I would love to do so...

As always, thank you thank you thank you!

Last edited by shosana; Feb 21, 2019 at 6:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.