Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
I dont want to contribute the supremacy theories here, just want to post some facts.

The first visit of „The World“ was in 2008\09. After that they returned every 3 to 4 years. There were never any problems with the cruise ship guests or complaints from the hotel guests until the last valentines day.

There is no correlation between the day guests and new owner or new management.

Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
I dont want to contribute the supremacy theories here, just want to post some facts.

The first visit of „The World“ was in 2008\09. After that they returned every 3 to 4 years. There were never any problems with the cruise ship guests or complaints from the hotel guests until the last valentines day.

There is no correlation between the day guests and new owner or new management.

Thank you for adding this fact to the conversation. I am still surprised there hasn’t been any mention of this in prior FT posts. Even if everyone from a cruise ship behaves well, it is still very unsightly to say the least to see a cruise ship docked at Rangali. I am surprised no one ever posted a photo of that here or elsewhere. Either way, regardless of whether the ship visited in prior years, there is still no reason for ownership / management to provide statements that seem highly likely to be incorrect regarding the nature of the cruise ship visit.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
News blackout

Are the resort and Hilton attempting to stick their collective heads in the sand over this?

Such an ignorant approach will surely result in a huge loss of faith in them both.

I would not be surprised if the resort is actively censoring/deleting related questions on their Facebook page?

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Feb 17, 2019 at 5:14 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Pressumedly some major news outlet, not just a travel blog, will get wind of this. Not sure how news worthy they will find this one instance. But it sounds like The World may have some explaining to do.

TD

It's not newsworthy at all. Maybe the NY Times will do a story titled "Rich Luxury Resort Guests Flip Out Over Visit from Richer Cruise Ship Guests." I doubt it though.

I agree with those people saying it's a mistake for an exclusive resort like Conrad Maldives to allow a cruise ship to disrupt their guests' experience. I totally reject the suggestions here that the visitors from The World are dirtier, more racist, more crass, more ill-mannered or more dangerous to children than Conrad Maldives guests.

The resort allowed itself to be overcrowded for a day in order to make money. That's it. It wasn't particularly fair to the paying guests, but it happens every day around the world that hotels have weddings, photo shoots, ceremonies, parties and other events that are loud and disruptive to paying guests. This is not news.

Last edited by jphripjah; Feb 16, 2019 at 10:41 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Perhaps the news sections would not be interested in reports of this dreadful experience but perhaps the travel sections of the newspapers especially the Sunday editions ( in the UK the travel sections of the Sunday Times and sunday Telegraph have occasional articles about poor travel experiences/serivces) and the major US papers might have a Weekend travel section.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Feb 17, 2019 at 4:46 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot

Perhaps the news sections would not be interested in reports of this dreaful experience
The rhetoric here is just over the top. "Barbarians" from The World. "Dreadful" experience.

People in Venezuela and Haiti are literally fighting each other for food, and posters here are apoplectic about a single day's inconvenience of not being able book tables at their preferred restaurants at a $1,000 a night luxury resort.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
The rhetoric here is just over the top. "Barbarians" from The World. "Dreadful" experience.

People in Venezuela and Haiti are literally fighting each other for food, and posters here are apoplectic about a single day's inconvenience of not being able book tables at their preferred restaurants at a $1,000 a night luxury resort.
So the gross intrusion of privacy didn't bother you then?

How about the damage to the coral reef?

How about the reports of a suspicious suspected pedo?

How about the lack of response from the resort or Hilton to adequately address these concerns?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
So the gross intrusion of privacy didn't bother you then?

How about the damage to the coral reef?

How about the reports of a suspicious suspected pedo?

How about the lack of response from the resort or Hilton to adequately address these concerns?

It's all hysterics to me. Gross invasion of privacy because someone walked near someone's rented villa?

Suspected pedophile?? The resort is full of people taking photos all day long. If the 15 year old girl and her parents don't want her to be seen in a bikini then she shouldn't be wearing a bikini in common areas of a resort.

The notion that patrons of The World are more dangerous to children or to coral than are guests staying at Conrad is absurd.

"History will remember" Hilton's handling of this? That's bonkers. Hilton let a single resort be overcrowded for a single day. That's it.

Last edited by jphripjah; Feb 17, 2019 at 5:32 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Don't feed the troll people.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

I think your post attempts to get across two points, let’s take them separately:

1. That the topic being discussed here is trivial compared to other humanitarian efforts ongoing in the world.

I doubt anyone here would argue with you that the plight of 3rd world countries is of more serious and global importance than the ongoinga at Conrad Maldives. However, note that this website is called FlyerTalk and the topic of the forum is the Conrad Maldives. Your argument would apply to every thread on this website and I don’t see how it related specifically to this conversation. When I was caring for patients at the hospital or performing surgeries I didn’t bring that topic here to this forum, where the focus is travel.

2. That the rhetoric regarding the paid additional guests is out of proportion to the events that transpired.

I was not at Rangali over Valentine’s Day so I can’t speak with first hand knowledge regarding these events. I am able to look at the photos and try to insinuate what this experience may have been like for paying overnight guests. Most of us commenting are projecting our views based on prior experience on the island and how we would feel if this happened during our trip. Since the Conrad Maldives markets itself as private island get-away (opposite the experience of large Caribbean resorts) then the cruise ship event goes against the ethos of the resort in every way possible and cheats paying overnight guests from their expected experience.

I have no problem with businesses trying new things to increase revenue - the point of corporations is to maximize value for shareholders. However, bait and switch practices that have occurred here are unethical. What bother / worries most of us is that the resort seems to be misleading in its comments about these events, which seems unlike my experiences with management / staff on prior visits. This makes me speculate that a new culture may be evolving with the management / ownership team that I do not wish to support financially.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:04 am

It's all hysterics to me. Gross invasion of privacy because someone walked near someone's rented villa?

Suspected pedophile?? The resort is full of people taking photos all day long. If the 15 year old girl and her parents don't want her to be seen in a bikini then she shouldn't be wearing a bikini in common areas of a resort.

The notion that patrons of The World are more dangerous to children or to coral than are guests staying at Conrad is absurd.

"History will remember" Hilton's handling of this? That's bonkers. Hilton let a single resort be overcrowded for a single day. That's it.
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
It's a stupid person's idea of a smart thing to say.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Anybody there at the moment been able to ask about the water villa renovation plans?

Also, how fine is the sand on the beaches now? Good for sandcastle building?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Anybody there at the moment been able to ask about the water villa renovation plans?

Also, how fine is the sand on the beaches now? Good for sandcastle building?
Given the way The World situation was handled, I am getting more concerned about no/ minimal,notice re construction/ reconstruction scope and timing. ..... wish we had a clue of what is planned and when
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I spoke to people in the front office when I was at the resort a few days ago and asked about the renovation plans. It sounded like discussions were ongoing with regards to the water villas, and that the priority was to finish the beach villas that they weren't able to renovate before the high/festive season began.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:47 am

The resort allowed itself to be overcrowded for a day in order to make money. That's it. It wasn't particularly fair to the paying guests, but it happens every day around the world that hotels have weddings, photo shoots, ceremonies, parties and other events that are loud and disruptive to paying guests. This is not news.
I'll be honest. That's a very one-sided and simplistic view of what happened. The point is - and should I really need to make this clear?! - that the Maldives is special because you have one resort per island, no locals hassling you to buy souvenirs and sell you stuff, no locals or staff allowed on the beaches, in the spas, in the restaurants or at the bars (except for maybe the HM and GM who you sometimes see at a bar). That's what you're paying for when you go to one of these resorts. One can look at the property one wants to visit, its size, number of dining options, number of rooms and spacing between them, staff to guest ratio and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can work out how crowded it will be and how much privacy you can expect to have - and even then we are pleasantly surprised when we find out it's even less crowded than we thought it was going to be. Note that Rangali has an especially good reputation for this, and that's why it's mentioned regularly. So when you say "it happens every day around the world that hotels have weddings, photo shoots, ceremonies, parties and other events that are loud and disruptive to paying guests", you conveniently leave out the facts that the vast majority of those hotels you are talking about have streets outside them with footpaths, public transport and other hotels and places of interest that you can go to for however long is necessary should you decide you don't like the place you're currently staying in or whoever is there temporarily. There are almost always nearby restaurants that you can walk, bus, catch a cab to if you can't find a table or if some rowdy group is in there when you walk in. You have choice. I shouldn't need to spell out that in the Maldives you do not have those choices, bar changing the resort you are currently in and we all know how practical and expensive that is!
The owner of Sun Siyam Irufushi is building a 600-room resort - the biggest of any resort planned to open in the Maldives thus far. If it were to be on an island measuring 2km * 500m with a room to restaurant & bar ratio of 15 or 20:1 then I might consider it. If it was to be on Irufushi with 3 massive buffet restaurants and 5 ŕ la carte restaurants then you'd have to pay me to go there! As for Rangali and other 5-star/+ properties, exclusivity and privacy is what they advertise and it's all part and parcel of your stay. If 80-100 guests simultaneously invade the resort when it is at full capacity then Hilton are not living up to their end of the bargain. It doesn't get any simpler than that. If you aren't concerned about floods of people then go to a non-resort island where there are guest inns.....and pay the going rate for it! End of story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.