Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:09 am

Hilton should be ashame of themelves.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:44 am

wow, completely speechless after seeing the latest development. This is definitely 1 hotel I will never go.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Hilton HQ should respond

This is a classic case in reputation management. The actions (or lack of) taken over the next few days will seal the fate of the Rangali resort and the Conrad brand.

Hilton group HQ needs to step up here, potential future customers are waiting...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:12 am

The privacy of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and our management team has already reached out to the guest who has shared concerns regarding the cruise liner’s visit yesterday.
The absence of the plural form is amusing.

Originally Posted by Deepd1ver7
There are no plans to have any cruise liners visit Conrad Maldives in the near future.

We can assure you there will be no cruise line during your stay in December or any other time during the year in 2019 and 2020.
None at all for nigh on 2 years, eh? Hmm. Wonder if they are in the process of cancelling the other ones that have presumably booked for this and next year.

Some of the cruise ship guests were given restricted access to the resort in order to dine at some of our restaurants and visit our spa.
Jeez, they were in the spas as well. Holy moley. Wonder what they got up to in there. And yes, using the pool after closing time is certainly restricted access. I think that's called 'permitted restricted access'?!

Another point worth mentioning; they have been very lucky and gotten away with no previous mentions of these invasions on TripAdvisor (yes, I read every single review there ). Very lucky indeed. They may be going to get their comeuppance.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
This is enough for me not to return. Reading these posts in conjunction with the dismal response from the resort in very disturbing. I can't imagine how upsetting it would have been to be there during this, paying their prices, and have had the vacation ruined. This can only be reflective of ownership and management that are not focused on the guest experience.

Last edited by Michael19887; Feb 16, 2019 at 8:10 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
This is a classic case in reputation management. The actions (or lack of) taken over the next few days will seal the fate of the Rangali resort and the Conrad brand.

Hilton group HQ needs to step up here, potential future customers are waiting...
Pressumedly some major news outlet, not just a travel blog, will get wind of this. Not sure how news worthy they will find this one instance. But it sounds like The World may have some explaining to do.

TD
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The absence of the plural form is amusing.
And yes, using the pool after closing time is certainly restricted access. I think that's called 'permitted restricted access'?!
Don't you know that this ('the guest') is the only way to accurately convey reverse collateral damage? We're lucky the entire resort wasn't liquidated.
"Permitted restricted access" --->
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:58 am

This is the reply I just got from the Conrad:

Please note the resident cruise liner was docked outside the lagoon of the resort on 14thFebruary 2019. Some of the cruise ship guests were given restricted access to the resort in order to dine at some of our restaurants and visit our spa. They arrived at 10:00am and departed shortly after dinner service at 10:00pm.

There are no plans to have any cruise liners visit Conrad Maldives in the near future.

The privacy of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and our management team has already reached out to the guest who has shared concerns regarding the cruise liner’s visit yesterday.

We can assure you there will be no cruise line during your stay in December or any other time during the year in 2019 and 2020.

We do highly appreciate you wish to come back and we will do our utmost for you and your family to enjoy your stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to express your concerns. I have copied our General Manager, Mr. Stefano Ruzza, in this email as well for your perusal.

I got the exact same canned response. Heading there in a few weeks for our honeymoon. Hope they really take all the backlash into account and start to get their act together.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Some of the cruise ship guests were given restricted access to the resort in order to dine at some of our restaurants and visit our spa. They arrived at 10:00am and departed shortly after dinner service at 10:00p
This email response is very disheartening as it appears to be a blatant lie based on photos and the many documented stories. Conrad Maldives should just be honest at this point and their statement should be the following:

“We sold full access to the public areas of the resort for 12 hours to XX number of guests on 2/14 in order to increase revenue. Due to the negative response from our guests we have changed our policy and will no longer be offering access to the resort to guests who are not staying overnight.”

This is a response I could live with and think that maybe things aren’t going completely downhill from here. But this is not the case and I am certain that this is the end of this resort as we know it. For anyone planning a trip here I would really think carefully about all your other options before committing - things will only get worse.

Luckily we had already cancelled 15 of our 21 nights over 2019/20 festive season and switched them to the WA. We plan to keep the 6 nights for now at CM, but if availability arises at the WA then we are likely to switch to WA for the full stay.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
This is the reply I just got from the Conrad:

Some of the cruise ship guests were given restricted access to the resort in order to dine at some of our restaurants and visit our spas. They arrived at 10:00am and departed shortly after dinner service at 10:00pm.
Lets take a close look at all the lies in this statement:

Some of the cruise ships guests” makes it sound like a few people, the photos I saw of transport ships seemed to be pretty full; maybe we can chalk this up to poor English, but likely a lie.

Some of our restaurant and spas....10am to 10pm” t This is the worst part of the statement and is definitely a lie. I love to eat and drink and go to spas, but might be hard for all the guests to fill 12 hours of their time at only these locations. Also, how would they restrict guest from using pool and beach areas?

Last edited by brandonpkt; Feb 16, 2019 at 11:15 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Conrad Rangali reviews

At the appropriate time, I intend to update my blog with my reviews to reflect the final outcome of this collosal error in judgement

http://triprep.wordpress.com

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Feb 17, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Given the fact there has been no previous feedback on TA, FT or any of the blogs, I'm inclined to think this was the first time a true cruise ship has been allowed ashore.

I'd imagine if some billionaire on their yacht has asked to come for dinner in the past this has been granted (understandably), but I can't imagine this has happened on this scale in the past without any noise being made by guests.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:25 pm

This is an interesting post over on the OMAAT blog. Poster sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
Boghopper says:
February 15, 2019 at 3:19 pm

An important point to know about MS The World is that it not as exclusive as it sounds. Owners of units can rent them out, and do, and the company that owns the ship also rents out units (might be everything has to be done through them, not sure of the mechanics). So it’s not exclusively occupied by a bunch of people who paid $5 million, plus annual costs, for their apartment at sea. It’s expensive, but that is no guarantee you won’t have drunken louts running around, especially when they’re off the ship and have a chance to let their hair down. It wouldn’t take all that many people to spoil the atmosphere there, especially when it’s a bunch of people on a day trip off their cruise ship when they’ve been on their best behavior not to get the unit owner in trouble.

Originally Posted by Zanis520
I got the exact same canned response. Heading there in a few weeks for our honeymoon. Hope they really take all the backlash into account and start to get their act together.
@Zanis520 & @Deepd1ver7
Who sent you guys those emails? The reservations department? The hotel manager or the general manager (or his assistant perhaps)?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 16, 2019 at 4:00 pm Reason: remove staff name per rule 21
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Given the fact there has been no previous feedback on TA, FT or any of the blogs, I'm inclined to think this was the first time a true cruise ship has been allowed ashore.

I'd imagine if some billionaire on their yacht has asked to come for dinner in the past this has been granted (understandably), but I can't imagine this has happened on this scale in the past without any noise being made by guests.
Yeah, you'd think so (to both your statements). Re TripAdvisor (or here for that matter), if we calculate the number of guests and the number of reviews we're looking at an infinitely small number of people who are both members of TA and who would post. Admittedly it's quite possible that this has been the worst time invasion and that's why everyone is so livid. Also, previous incidents of people having problems with HMS Horde or others might have been misunderstood, i.e; affected guests thought the barbarians were actual hotel guests.

Now that I think of it, I have seen a cruise ship in the same general location when at Rangali. I can't remember which stay it was, but I think it was quite a few years back. It was sailing away in the direction of Male (it was not anywhere near as close to the resort as the docked HMS Horde) and so we were probably very lucky to have just missed it. Phew!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
This is an interesting post over on the OMAAT blog. Poster sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

@Zanis520 & @Deepd1ver7
Who sent you guys those emails? The reservations department? The hotel manager or Stefano (or his assistant perhaps)?
I had originally reached out to the girl I had been corresponding with in their reservations dept. The response was from the Commercial Director. The girl I originally wrote was CC'ed on the email, as well as the General Manager and 2 other people. After some digging online, the other two looks to be the CEO of ADK Group of Companies, in the Maldives (couldn't really find any more info on him or the company) and a manager at the CMRI.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 16, 2019 at 4:03 pm Reason: remove staff names per rule 21

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.