Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by brandonpkt
I think this decision on the part of the new owners is a very ominous sign of things to come at Rangali in terms of the profit vs guest experience trade off. I am very worried that the Conrad Maldives has jumped the shark. Crossing my fingers things don’t continue to go downhill in advance of my third stay in December. Seems like a bad timing to allow a cruise ship given the new competition that is about to open...
Agreed. Pure greed here. You can shear a sheep many times but only skin them once though.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The first 1* review has gone up on Trip Advisor...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:35 am

Old news bud. This thread's moving fast.....gotta keep up, LOL.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
I still can’t get past the photos of this giant ignorant cruise ship on the horizon.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:18 am

Wow

we were at Conrad last week and it was our 4th time. The deluxe beach villas are renovated on the lagoon side and gorgeous. That said, we will not return. The breakfast at Vilu is no longer polished and it just feels like the hotel is catering to large groups. We turned off our dnd on the last day and within 20 seconds the Butler, gardener, and golf cart were hurrying us out. The seaplane was full of tourists going on international flights so they delayed our departure since we went to another resort. It’s just not as relaxing for us and the food was just ok. After hearing about the cruise ship, it’s definitely not a place for us anymore. Too much investment to get to the Maldives for a less than optimal experience. In fact, much feels different with the new bridge and the seaplane terminal coming. Just feels less intimate I guess.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Re the cruise ship matter...

Ignore what, if any, the legal rights & obligations might be for redress. What’s people’s feeling on here as to what would be fair in their mind - which is personal and each with differ. Enough caveats from me, what do people think?

I was thinking last night when I read all this that I’d be wanting the whole day written off by the GM - I.e. my bill for that day, including room charge plus everything else I spent that day - without exclusion, in my efforts to extricate myself from the mayhem and prevent it destroying my entire stay on the day thereafter - to be zeroised on my bill.

I then reflected on that and ended up feeling that even if the GM agreed to it I’d still not feel suitably compensated for the disruption to what I had bought which is a full relax for the whole duration of the day, and day in the middle that destroys that impacts the entire stay not just that day’s stay.

It’s not the prefect place it was 10 years ago; it’s not the really good place it was 5 years ago; it’s not the place that had odd flaws starting but still such wonderful things that more than compensated a couple of years ago; it’s now got flaws that are capable of damaging the highs in aggregate. It’s difficult to see how to write the annual cheque for Ł20k for a stay there - much of which is written because you accepted that included a decent premium for the guarantee of a wonderful experience.

(To be clear - I’m not on the island so wasn’t affected by what went on yesterday.)

My post is really just to simply ask what sort of redress, ranging from zero / suck it up right through to a fortune or more - people think they’d be after personally....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Reading your post now Spotly has me worried! We were last there 6 years ago. Has it really changed that much since then? It’s costing us a lot of money to get there, I don’t want to be disappointed!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Reading your post now Spotly has me worried! We were last there 6 years ago. Has it really changed that much since then? It’s costing us a lot of money to get there, I don’t want to be disappointed!
It’s hard to judge I think: I think the first time you do anything it’s all so new and perfect that you don’t see some of the flaws etc and even doing the same thing again and again (we’ve been there a dozen or more times in a row) is going to lead to it not feeling quite as good even if it’s exactly the same in reality...

However, my personal perspective on what’s not as good over the years (some of which have absolutely nothing to do with Conrad changing things within their control):
- reef is dead versus 100s if times more colour and life
- food/menus not anywhere near as special or complex
- every aspect of resort open every day versus odd bits closed on certain days
- villas versus those in new resorts
- nature of other guests staying there
- scale of island feeling less intimate
- lack of innovation / new things
- standard of guest services (genuine interest and listening to you rather than heading off mid conversations to a speak to a more important guest)
- inconsistent service (not flowers on bed)
- a huge number of penny pinching measures that take the edge off everywhere
- the feeling of scarcity and hence value (eg you had to book a table at restaurants whereas now you can just pitch up and they’re empty so there’s less atmosphere etc)

There have been notable improvements (Uefa is new, quiet zone is new, cocktails are excellent, and new versus -10 years) but in aggregate for me the new flaws exceeds improvements.

But if you spend 80% of your time in your room looking out at perfection then not a thing has changed and it remain a place like nowhere else on Earth (although parts of Seychelles, Bora Bora etc could probably argue that)....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
This cruise ship incident is utterly incredible. I was contemplating topping up points to come here next year. Not going anywhere near this resort now.

Does the cruise ship advertise this stop on their marketing?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Splotly
I was thinking last night when I read all this that I’d be wanting the whole day written off by the GM - I.e. my bill for that day, including room charge plus everything else I spent that day - without exclusion, in my efforts to extricate myself from the mayhem and prevent it destroying my entire stay on the day thereafter - to be zeroised on my bill.

I then reflected on that and ended up feeling that even if the GM agreed to it I’d still not feel suitably compensated for the disruption to what I had bought which is a full relax for the whole duration of the day, and day in the middle that destroys that impacts the entire stay not just that day’s stay.

My post is really just to simply ask what sort of redress, ranging from zero / suck it up right through to a fortune or more - people think they’d be after personally....
It is complex and different from guest to guest, timing the events happened during their stay, acceptance/tolerance/forgiveness/etc levels.

My first and only visit was seven days, if this happened on day 1 or 2, I expect my room rate and incidentals written off for at minimum that day, preferably the room rate for day two reimbursed because I would probably be still shocked the following day. I might still have some 4-5 days time leftover to recover from the events. Now, if this happened on day 6 - I would be totally devastated. I would have been be so relaxed by then (and it takes a few days to feel that way) and I would have been thinking 'It's my last full day, and I want to enjoy this paradise fully' and then for it be ruined, I probably would have felt like the whole stay was ruined. I'd want my whole stay room rate be comped but I doubt they would do that, they probably will comp one day and that won't be good enough, and I would never return.

Anyway, I have asked the Conrad if they are expecting any cruise ships in October when we return with some friends who prefer to stay here because it is "bang for you buck" being on points / status benefits. That said, we are checking out the Waldorf Astoria in July - so if that stay is exceptional, I would be pushing to move our reservations over there despite the dodgy practice of changing the terms (boat transfer costs) of the reservation without advising us.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
That's 3x the average spend at the resort.
The average spend is irrelevant to me, I know what it costs me to have a good time and that is the figure (inclusive of upgrade to an acceptable, not great room). That is what frames my choices, obviously if you are easily pleased your average spend will be less, particularly on room upgrades.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The average spend is irrelevant to me, I know what it costs me to have a good time and that is the figure (inclusive of upgrade to an acceptable, not great room). That is what frames my choices, obviously if you are easily pleased your average spend will be less, particularly on room upgrades.
On my last trip to CMRI, I was lucky enough to be able to enjoy a special event dinner. It was rather intimate, with only half a dozen couples attending. Several of the couples were British. Two of the British husbands dominated the conversation, boasting about how many times they had visited and how much they were spending.

It got tedious quickly.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:30 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by pineapple_09

I would not worry. The cruise ship incident is utterly unacceptable, but if we can put that aside nothing else has changed*.

At the start of this week most here were still agreed this is a fabulous place. While there has been some cost-cutting under the current mgmt, its not so much as to ruin the experience. It is still a great place, and IMO is very fair value for anyone using points to offset the $$$$$$ cost of staying here. For sure there are other places that will be more perfect (at least in some respects), but most of these will cost much much more. I see this as a kind of Goldilocks location which gets the balance 'just right' between many different factors. Of course this is all subjective.

* I am hoping that the negative feedback makes this a once-off. If the cruise ship scenario is going to be repeated, I take back everything I have said. I would be furious if this had occurred on any of my stays here - even if only for one day of my stay.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:19 am

Can anyone confirm from a recent trip if the luggage restrictions for the seaplane are indeed 25kg for check-in and 5kg for carry-on? When I go to the TransMaldivian website, it states it is 20 kg for check-in and 5 kg for carry-on, but the resort sent me an email stating the first set of numbers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by soy
At the start of this week most here were still agreed this is a fabulous place. While there has been some cost-cutting under the current mgmt, its not so much as to ruin the experience. It is still a great place..... Of course this is all subjective.
As you said, it is indeed subjective. How many times have you been to Rangali? It's not a question to criticize but to give some perspective. If you've been there 5 or 10 times over the same amount of years you will have noticed every little change and cost-cutting exercise (as you will have noticed the improvements, of course). Did you read @Splotly's post here? It gives a pretty damn accurate summary of what it's like compared to what it used to be like. ^

Originally Posted by soy
I would not worry. The cruise ship incident is utterly unacceptable, but if we can put that aside nothing else has changed*.

* I am hoping that the negative feedback makes this a once-off. If the cruise ship scenario is going to be repeated, I take back everything I have said. I would be furious if this had occurred on any of my stays here - even if only for one day of my stay.
Well, as we have heard from the staff there, this is a yearly occurrence, not only with HMS Horde but with at least one other, possibly more hordes of invaders.

Originally Posted by bjywong
Can anyone confirm from a recent trip if the luggage restrictions for the seaplane are indeed 25kg for check-in and 5kg for carry-on? When I go to the TransMaldivian website, it states it is 20 kg for check-in and 5 kg for carry-on, but the resort sent me an email stating the first set of numbers.
Short answer; 25+5. If I'm not mistaken there is some talk about this just before the cruise ship incident. You should have a read as there is a bit more detail that's relevant to those concerned about the weight of their luggage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.